JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
4E34059C-B0FC-48AC-89B7-A0FB4F0BB33D.jpeg

LOL, you know I never thought of that. One kid lives in ID now. Will have to get an ID card for when we visit :)

I never thought of it either. I was in AZ couple of weeks ago and volunteered to go hand out SWFA cards to different gun shops for Joe link. Stopped in one shop and the guys were great and we ended up shooting the bull for about an hour and the subject came up. Long story short they are the ones that gave me the idea.

Just wondering - does the requirement of proof of a firearms training course and the 10 day wait apply to semi-auto handgun sales as well?
No, only Semi-Auto rifles require the training prerequisite at this time. The delay is more a function of local LEO's doing background vs FBI in the past.

1 time look vs unfettered access is what I understood the difference to be, but your point is taken.

I've thought about this difference and am considering buying something as one last hurrah before July 1 because of it (though time is running out). The thing is, I'm already in the DOL database -- what is to stop the legislature next year from deciding to expand the law for those who bought before 7-1-19?

I'm so embarrassed that I just realized/found this since the discussions about 1639. I've bought more than a few pistols so I guess I did that a long time ago and didn't realize it, yet I instantly bristled at that part (among others obviously) in this new set of laws.

Can't believe I didn't know exactly what I had given up a long time ago. Like the vast majority of you I've got nothing to hide and am fortunate and blessed to not have any mental health issues so yeah, it is what it is now....but damn, I consider myself an "informed" gun owner and I didn't realize that or had forgotten it long ago. :(

I do believe that when you did a pistol purchase it was a check then closed after the BGC.
After 7-1 your HIPPA waiver will be free game for the state to do whatever it wants with your information...
They will never get my signature!!!:mad:

I've thought about this difference and am considering buying something as one last hurrah before July 1 because of it (though time is running out). The thing is, I'm already in the DOL database -- what is to stop the legislature next year from deciding to expand the law for those who bought before 7-1-19?

Exactly my point, I do not trust the majority in Seattle (Olympia) to abide by the laws they write. Gray areas are where TPTB are dangerous and the WSSC will fall lockstep with the legislatures majority.

I wonder what the rational is for applying it to rifles only and not handguns.

When it comes to gun law there is no such thing as "common sense" or "logic" or "rational thinking". All gun laws are sold on an emotional basis. Most who are promoting the laws know full well they do nothing. The point is to get other gun owners onboard with new laws. This has so far worked extremely well. Then when this law does nothing, they will say they need to try something else. The something else will of course never include dealing with the criminals.
This latest WA law was aimed at the "Black Rifles". It was just so poorly written it covers everything including .22 semi rifles. Hand guns did not make this cut because they were claiming to go after the "Black Rifles". A large percentage of the gun owning public pays zero attention, so they don't know what happened. Many of them will soon find out when they go to buy a new .22 and will be screaming. Then of course pointing fingers of blame at everyone except themselves of course.

Many of them will soon find out when they go to buy a new .22 and will be screaming.
Yep - this my first thought exactly.
How many will say 'I'm not going to take any class and will just continue to use what I have',
Or will consider another action style as opposed to a semi?
This is going to hurt retailers.
What's next? A safety class with card that must be on the person when using a semi-auto?
Kind of like for boats and ATVs in Oregon?

Yep - this my first thought exactly.
How many will say 'I'm not going to take any class and will just continue to use what I have',
Or will consider another action style as opposed to a semi?
This is going to hurt retailers.
What's next? A safety class with card that must be on the person when using a semi-auto?
Kind of like for boats and ATVs in Oregon?

Next will be FOID cards is suspect. The people who want to take guns from the law abiding will take as much as they can get. For now they have a majority of gun owners going along with it so they just keep marching on. Every election you see a lot of gun owners who vote for the same people championing these laws. Any wonder why we get more laws?

Face it, we are watching what happens when an uneducated Citizenry simply can't be bothered to protect the Republic that was freely bestowed upon them.

As for me I'll not buy any anymore arms that require me to give up my medical records to exercise my Civil Rights.
When you reapply for your CPL wont you have to?

1 time look vs unfettered access is what I understood the difference to be, but your point is taken.
That is how it was explained to me as well.

My FFL sent me the RCW sections.

Sec. 7. RCW 9.41.094 and 2018 c 201 s 6004 are each amended to read as follows:
A signed application to purchase a pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle shall constitute a waiver of confidentiality and written request that the health care authority, mental health institutions, and other health care facilities release, to an inquiring court or law enforcement agency, information relevant to the applicant's eligibility to purchase a pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle to an inquiring court or law enforcement agency.

Sec. 8. RCW 9.41.097 and 2018 c 201 s 6005 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) The health care authority, mental health institutions, and other health care facilities shall, upon request of a court, ((or))law enforcement agency, or the state, supply such relevant information as is necessary to determine the eligibility of a person to possess a ((pistol)) firearm or to be issued a concealed pistol license under RCW 9.41.070 or to purchase a pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle under RCW 9.41.090.
(2) Mental health information received by: (a) The department of licensing pursuant to RCW 9.41.047 or 9.41.173; (b) an issuing authority pursuant to RCW 9.41.047 or 9.41.070; (c) a chief of police or sheriff pursuant to RCW 9.41.090 or 9.41.173; (d) a court or law enforcement agency pursuant to subsection (1) of this section; or (e) the state pursuant to RCW 9.41.090, shall not be disclosed except as provided in RCW 42.56.240(4).

My apologizes if this information has been posted before.

This latest WA law was aimed at the "Black Rifles". It was just so poorly written it covers everything including .22 semi rifles. Hand guns did not make this cut because they were claiming to go after the "Black Rifles.
From this post:
[H]andgun restriction is simply not viewed as a priority. Assault weapons ... are a new topic. The weapons' menacing looks, coupled with the public's confusion over fully automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons—anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun—can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons.
Also, there's a reason the 2A exists (it's not hunting ;)), and, to reuse a phrase, semi-auto rifles are what give the 2A teeth.

... This latest WA law was aimed at the "Black Rifles". It was just so poorly written it covers everything including .22 semi rifles. ....

I think it was purposeful. How many years have we seen articles and videos similar to this: Allhands: The lunacy of an assault weapons ban where the author compares the AR15 to the Mini14 and points out that cosmetic differences are a stupid reason for bans. Of course they are stupid reasons, but it is also nuts to think antis will then just drop their proposals with an "oops, my bad." Nope. Their thinking is more like this: "hmmm -- assault weapons bans based on cosmetic features are pointless -- well then, if there's no functional difference, ban 'em all."

I'm torn on whether educating antis is helpful or unhelpful. I really don't think they would use that education for anything other than worse legislation.

I think it was purposeful. How many years have we seen articles and videos similar to this: Allhands: The lunacy of an assault weapons ban where the author compares the AR15 to the Mini14 and points out that cosmetic differences are a stupid reason for bans. Of course they are stupid reasons, but it is also nuts to think antis will then just drop their proposals with an "oops, my bad." Nope. Their thinking is more like this: "hmmm -- assault weapons bans based on cosmetic features are pointless -- well then, if there's no functional difference, ban 'em all."

I'm torn on whether educating antis is helpful or unhelpful. I really don't think they would use that education for anything other than worse legislation.

I will try with them IF, they seem like they want to hear it. Many are like trying to talk to ANTIFA people, a waste of time. Many really are just ignorant of what's going on. If they don't own guns they pay little attention. Given the BS spread on the news many of them just fall right in line. They have not yet figured out they are being lied too. Some times you get someone who never owned a gun, to go to the range, and even buy one. If they are rabid, foaming at the mouth, all guns are evil, I do not waste my time. Many of them will only learn if they are ever a victim where a gun could have saved them. Sad.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top