JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How much pepper sauce do you use on your food?

• Don't touch the stuff

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • A little dab will do ya

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • 4 or 6 good shakes thank you very much

Votes: 43 43.4%
  • I love a little food in my hot sauce

Votes: 30 30.3%

• Total voters
My absolute favorite.. discovered it way back at a hot sauce and salt shop in Troutdale. They'd let you sample pretty much anything you wanted and it was jam packed..

"
Heat Level: 5-6
This extraordinary sauce is a delicate blend of fresh tomatoes, onions, habanero chiles, roasted garlic and roasted serrano peppers specially blended with 10 different herbs and spices including Mexican Oregano and Cumin Seed. Together they create a sauce of unmatched richness and complexity. This sauce is great to use in Chili, Stews, Soups, Pasta Sauces, on Pizza and eggs.

Ingredients: Vinegar, Tomatoes, Onions, Habanero Chiles, Garlic, Serrano Peppers, Spices, Salt and Sugar. "
1454RF-2T.jpg

It's pretty dang hot but in a very good way.. pretty garlicy too.
Put about a 16th of a tsp on a chip and enjoy.

So....I like extremely hot sauce. I don't eat it on everything, and have not numbed my taste buds so that I can't eat food without it. BUT, my favorite so far is Mad Dog 357. It's got some good pepper flavor and sweetness buried underneath 357,000 Scoville Heat Units. Tabasco is around 2,000. Valentina's is a mere 1000. This stuff is not the hottest but NOT for beginners.

FullSizeRender (8).jpg

I have been eating chilis since 1964. I began by eating yellow pickled chiles at the age of 8 (Trappey's or McGowan's Hot Chiles Cortidos). I really like the Chile del Monte (Chilis of the wilderness) that are called Pequin Peppers from Southern Texas and Northern Mexico. A good five to six 3mm sized round, dried red chiles make a spicy quart of salsa! (My late wife Mary introduced me to them).

I put Franks Red Hot on everything and buy it by the 23 oz. bottle (3 at a time). There are times when I want a higher Scoville rating and buy dried Habaneros and more potent varieties wen the recipe calls for it.

When I visit Tijuana, the locals stare at me because I use lots of ground Cayenne and Habanero peppers as well as lime juice on my tacos. I've been doing this since I was 13 (about 48 years ago).

Good stuff, Maynard!

Slather some of the TJ's sauce on top and you in heaven, boy! :p
Or Hell, if you're cursed with wuss guts and oversensitive taste buds like mine... :(

When I visit Tijuana, the locals stare at me because I use lots of ground Cayenne and Habanero peppers as well as lime juice on my tacos. I've been doing this since I was 13 (about 48 years ago).
The lime sounds good. :) The having Dragon Breath out my butt... not so much. lol (Biggest disappointment in my Mexican-food life, other than my friends G&G's tamale recipe being "family only"--a batch of her tamales is heaven on a plate--is when Taco Del Mar and Applebee's both killed their cilantro-lime sauces. I like things tart if not outright gotta-peel-your-lips-off-back-of-throat SOUR...)

Oh yeah,most any Korean food is good
Yes kimchi for sure

Yep, Korea has a brutal climate and they need hardy eats! They eat a lot of beef, unlike most Asian countries! I am with the Koreans to the nth degree!:D Kimchi and the Namul, small salads, are definitely an acquired taste, but well worth it! YUMMM!!! :eek::p:confused:

Or Hell, if you're cursed with wuss guts and oversensitive taste buds like mine... :(

The lime sounds good. :) The having Dragon Breath out my butt... not so much. lol (Biggest disappointment in my Mexican-food life, other than my friends G&G's tamale recipe being "family only"--a batch of her tamales is heaven on a plate--is when Taco Del Mar and Applebee's both killed their cilantro-lime sauces. I like things tart if not outright gotta-peel-your-lips-off-back-of-throat SOUR...)

The tart quality of either lemon or lime juices enhance the pica or "bite" of the peppers. This is what makes the "heaven-on-a-plate" tacos of my favorite taco place in Tijuana.

If you want the real taste of Mexico, go to the Hotel Caesar and eat a genuine Caesar Salad (where they were introduced to the world on Avenida Revolucion 82 years ago on July 4th, 1924). You'll see the long leaves of Romaine Lettuce drenched in the real Caesar Salad Dressing invented by Caesar Cardini himself (giant croutons are optional). The genuine article is eaten with the fingers by the base of the lettuce leaves. (I know, I have eaten there and the salad is out of this world)!

THAT is fine Mexican cuisine!

Yep, Korea has a brutal climate and they need hardy eats! They eat a lot of beef, unlike most Asian countries! I am with the Koreans to the nth degree!:D Kimchi and the Namul, small salads, are definitely an acquired taste, but well worth it! YUMMM!!! :eek::p:confused:

Yes, Kimchi is marvelous! Korean beef is excellent. I know that I would live well in either Korea or Thailand.

If you want the real taste of Mexico, go to the Hotel Caesar and eat a genuine Caesar Salad (where they were introduced to the world on Avenida Revolucion 82 years ago on July 4th, 1924). You'll see the long leaves of Romaine Lettuce drenched in the real Caesar Salad Dressing invented by Caesar Cardini himself (giant croutons are optional). The genuine article is eaten with the fingers by the base of the lettuce leaves. (I know, I have eaten there and the salad is out of this world)!
Complete with the Barf A Boot allergic reaction from the anchovies, right? :p (G&G are an older couple, in their mid-Sixties, whose parents were their respective first generations to cross the border. I had to restrain myself at my grandmother's funeral when an arse-wipe Klan-wannabe uncle asked 'who invited the beaners?' and I really wanted to tell him "you shoulda left your white sheet at home... they're family friends from your sister's workplace, and that man is a retired US Army Command Sgt. Major, which means he has served more in one year than you in the entire Waste of Viable Organs that has been your worthless life and YOU WILL SHOW PROPER RESPECT, DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!*" The only thing that stilled my tongue was for the sake of Grandma's memory, since this sh*tbag Garbage Human Being--admittedly using the latter term loosely--was 'Her Little Boy'...)
*I'm not that big a dude other than around the middle, but when you get me full of Righteous Indignation I get real big in attitude and presence, real fast... and even gain a measured two inches of height.

Sorry, that was recent enough that the memory still sends my blood boiling.

My late wife was a Spaniard born in Firebaugh, CA (16 miles outside of Fresno). In 1992, we visited family in McAllen, TX and Reynosa, Tamaulipas Mexico. When in Reynosa, I bought fresh chickens that her Tia Hilaria (Aunt Hillary) who lived in a stucco structure with a dirt floor prepared the chicken to a delicious turn. I have yet to eat chicken prepared as well since then.

I have never been hasty to judge cooking. There's nothing like good "home cooked" Mexican food. I know, because I have eaten the genuine article.

LOL, amigo... "barf-a-boot" was referring to my own guts. :( Good experience to have had... the best way to experience any new cuisine is prepared by locals in its place of origin--I have a standing invite from a friend in Munich for an eat-your-way-across-Germany tour with her if I ever get over there that I hope to take her up on if travel someday becomes a tolerable experience again.

No insult taken. I love Mexican, Thai, Chinese, Korean, Italian, German, Greek and American. I have even tried Lebanese food. I have yet to eat French food, but I'll try anything once. (Twice if it is palatable).

I have always been the original "Iron Guts McGurk".

The "anchovies" flavor comes from the Worcestershire Sauce used in the dressing. The only salad that used anchovies was the "Aviator Salad", not the Caesar Salad (contrary to popular belief).

The Caesar Salad hasn't any seafood content at all. It never has.

Barfa boot is a good description, diamondback! :) I believe that my buddy beat it, when he told my, then, 14 year old son, before a charter fishing trip. "If you get seasick, and feel something round and hairy come up, swallow HARD!!! It's your azz whole!:eek::cool::confused:

How did I miss this thread?

I collect the skull key-rings from every bottle of Blair's Sudden Death Sauce I buy. So far, I've got 10 of those key-rings around here somewhere. It's not the hottest sauce I've ever had, but for my money it's got the best flavor.

At parties, I usually bring an assortment of my hotsauces with ratings going from Mild (Tobasco) to Wild (Whatever I'm currently working on).

I love habanero-based sauces, but currently really enjoying a couple scorpion-pepper based bottles. I do not care for Ghost Pepper sauces – the heat is fine but the flavor doesn't appeal to me.

I'd love to buy some more of my favorites, but all my friends keep buying me bottles they find while traveling, so there's no room in the fridge for my favorites anymore.

Here's my description/review of Sancto-Scorpio hot sauce:

"Relive the exciting moments of a major volcanic event in a very personal way. You could try to warn everyone of the coming eruption, but your tongue is now a smoking husk of useless tissue. The only means of communication you have left is hand gestures, but they are too busy holding your butt cheeks together. Tomorrow you will be pricing colostomy bags."

Last Edited:
It's really all about the flavor. Tabasco has too much vinegar. That's what makes for upset stomachs. (Too much acid in combination with the Cayenne). This is why I prefer the smooth flavor and consistency of Frank's Red Hot. (It's the original sauce used to make the first "Buffalo Wings" in Buffalo New York in 1964). Yeah, it's what makes using Frank's Red Hot the better Cayenne Pepper sauce. It's more costly than Valentina's or other Mexican varieties, but it's what I prefer.

Crystal isn't bad, but it still has more vinegar than I desire.

Carry on.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads