JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My home defense medicine is also #4 buck, but out of a rifled slug barrel. Talk about spreading it out!!!!!!!!! Rifled slug barrel stays home when I'm coyote hunting, but #4 buck is my first choice for yotes.

1235510787280.jpg

None of them are the best choice. Sorry, but mainstream lousy. If somebody up here in Oregon is serious about employing a shotgun for INSIDE home defense then he needs to go no further than a Tromix Lead Delivery Systems Saiga 12 AK47 based EIGHT INCH BARREL, (8") 12 gage 3" short barrel semi auto folding stock shotgun. Expensive. SBS tax stamp. Probably the very best.

There is a lead time plus the tax stamp wait. Worth it.

EDIT BY HB of CJ: Per their website Tromix IS NO LONGER taking any orders for Saiga 12 conversions. I will try to confirm this. Bummer. Sorry. 20 Feb, 2017.

[email protected]
1-918-543-3456 (central time)
9am to 6 pm, M-F

Last Edited:
None of them are the best choice. Sorry, but mainstream lousy. If somebody up here in Oregon is serious about employing a shotgun for INSIDE home defense then he needs to go no further than a Tromix Lead Delivery Systems Saiga 12 AK47 based EIGHT INCH BARREL, (8") 12 gage 3" short barrel semi auto folding stock shotgun. Expensive. SBS tax stamp. Probably the very best.

[email protected]
9am to 6 pm, M-F

Sorry, I don't have that kind of money - you must be one of those 1%ers I hear about:rolleyes:.

My 12ga pump cost me a grand total of $100 - it's out shot everyone I've ever shot against, so far;).

One thing to think about in regards to your home defense gun , shotgun or otherwise is:
What if , God forbid , you have to use said gun in a shoot...And said gun is impounded during the investigation for days , weeks or months after a shooting?

Do you really want a expensive , valuable or tricked out gun , sitting around a police evidence locker , getting rusty or mishandled?

Again you all do as you wish ... Just thinking out loud here , so to speak.
Andy

:p

[email protected]
9am to 6 pm, M-F

Only if you want to hit something inside of 5 yards....:p

One thing to think about in regards to your home defense gun , shotgun or otherwise is:
What if , God forbid , you have to use said gun in a shoot...And said gun is impounded during the investigation for days , weeks or months after a shooting?

Do you really want a expensive , valuable or tricked out gun , sitting around a police evidence locker , getting rusty or mishandled?

Andy

Exactly why my home defense and carry guns are modest, but reliable. Something I won't be greatly bothered to have taken away for a time.

Andy

Yes... everybody needs/deserves to go out once in awhile. o_O

I feel that the PGO gets unfairly maligned. It's true that non-shooters might have misconceptions about how awesome it is, but it's not total crap.

I have the Big 5 combo Mossy 500 with the factory stock, a Hogue short LOP stock, and the shockwave raptor grip. I leave the pistol grip on it unless I'm going to shoot clays or (maybe eventually) hunt. It's the most fun to shoot, and I don't feel like I lose any home defense potential leaving it on.

It needs to be used properly, of course. I sight down the barrel unless shooting at something ten feet away or less. Recoil is totally manageable with 2 3/4" buck. I can use it effectively out to ten yards and rapidly blow away as many targets as I have shells. The difference in speed when blasting multiple targets out to that distance between the raptor grip and the full stock is probably tenths of a second at most. I've done walk-throughs of my house with both configurations and the pistol grip is way handier.

Again, I don't usually shoot it from the hip. It's line-of-sight point shooting or firing from chest level.

The Hogue 12" stock was a huge disappointment. I thought it would be good because I could square off more and have a more compact weapon. It was great when I slapped it on and did dry handling in my apartment, but when I went to the quarry it smashed my thumb into my nose every time I tried to fire with a reasonable cheek weld. Just didn't work for me. A short LOP pistol-grip buttstock would be better, as it would keep your firing hand away from your face.

Andy
I think Playboypengy's house gat has a ten karat diamond for a front sight. Pimpin' it like a honey badger!

I feel that the PGO gets unfairly maligned. It's true that non-shooters might have misconceptions about how awesome it is, but it's not total crap.

I have the Big 5 combo Mossy 500 with the factory stock, a Hogue short LOP stock, and the shockwave raptor grip. I leave the pistol grip on it unless I'm going to shoot clays or (maybe eventually) hunt. It's the most fun to shoot, and I don't feel like I lose any home defense potential leaving it on.

It needs to be used properly, of course. I sight down the barrel unless shooting at something ten feet away or less. Recoil is totally manageable with 2 3/4" buck. I can use it effectively out to ten yards and rapidly blow away as many targets as I have shells. The difference in speed when blasting multiple targets out to that distance between the raptor grip and the full stock is probably tenths of a second at most. I've done walk-throughs of my house with both configurations and the pistol grip is way handier.

Again, I don't usually shoot it from the hip. It's line-of-sight point shooting or firing from chest level.

The Hogue 12" stock was a huge disappointment. I thought it would be good because I could square off more and have a more compact weapon. It was great when I slapped it on and did dry handling in my apartment, but when I went to the quarry it smashed my thumb into my nose every time I tried to fire with a reasonable cheek weld. Just didn't work for me. A short LOP pistol-grip buttstock would be better, as it would keep your firing hand away from your face.
Here's a nice vid the boys recently put out. I had to lol at the part where they told of their friend, a high master of the PGO, knocked his own teeth out with one..

#3 I didn't know any Charles Daly firearms were made in Turkey. That must have been after my O/U that I bought used. Made in Japan. It was a really nice shotgun but they used leaf springs for the trigger instead of coil springs so they used to break a lot.

I take it was an older one ? If we can believe wikipedia on this one they are saying that Miroku was making them for Charles Daly around the 60's and 70's. I guess they had some made in spain more recently but for the most part their shotguns where Turkish, and if my experience is about standard it was most certainly not a delight.

(Get it? Turkish Delight! My lord am I punny today)

I never expected 5 pages of comments.

My bedroom gun was assessed based on my current situation. Suburbia.
When I am up and about I am strapped up - handy.

At night, I can't get out the back of my bedroom. I can't make it to the front door. Should I now be in the market, I would have a different home layout. Period. I also share the home only with the wife - no children, parents nor roommates.

Plan is this, I make noise and cover the bedroom door.
Wife rolls out to the bath room, grabbing her pistol, phone and keys. She's on comms.
If I have to clear the house, I use my handgun and leave her the shot gun. Which is a 20 gq, with bird shot loaded and slugs on stock.
I have one of those H&R Pardners - 870 pump clones. I have a flash light mounted on the gun too. 1000 lumens or something.
My pistol safe has a fanny pack - which I'd just slip over my neck with several loaded mags and a flashlight and a couple of multi-tools (one for turning off the gas)

If the situation changes - say riots come to my town, then I might pull out different guns from the safe.

In the day to day, if someone gets in my house, comes towards me while I am yelling to get out, they are getting an ounce of lead, and another and another until they stop. I don't want to hurt anyone, I want them to stop, or to go away, or to not come in in the first place.

At 6:30 Jeff sacfrafices some ribs and a shoulder to demonstrate bird shot.

Can you legally cut down a barrel as long as it's still a legal length?

Since it's impossible to find a 14" Mossy barrel or one of these mossberg shockwaves might as well buy the 18.5" and cut it down then replace the pistol grip with a Raptor grip.

Can you legally cut down a barrel as long as it's still a legal length?

Since it's impossible to find a 14" Mossy barrel or one of these mossberg shockwaves might as well buy the 18.5" and cut it down then replace the pistol grip with a Raptor grip.

I may be misunderstanding your question but I think as long as you start your project with a shotgun receiver that came from the manufacturer with a pistol grip and has never had a stock on it AND you keep the whole thing over 26 inches (might want to put it at 27 inches just in case BATFE has their Angry Tape Measure out that day).

Now keep in mind this is all based on my limited understanding of the law and the little bit of research I've done on it. I am not a lawyer and Its quite possible that I am wrong. If you find any other more definitive sources I'd be really interested in them.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top