JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I take it was an older one ? If we can believe wikipedia on this one they are saying that Miroku was making them for Charles Daly around the 60's and 70's. I guess they had some made in spain more recently but for the most part their shotguns where Turkish, and if my experience is about standard it was most certainly not a delight.

(Get it? Turkish Delight! My lord am I punny today)

Yes, it was Miroku. Thx for the memory jog!! I bought it in the 70s used. IDK what year it was actually produced. 3" chambers, 30" barrels, Full and Full. My first O/U. Paid $300 for it. :)

Meh. They don't even list the criteria they're using to define "best." That's just one author's very subjective opinion...not that there aren't some decent choices there (the 870, the m2, etc). And don't even get me started on that pistol grip only model. But what the hell do I know. I'm just some guy on the interwebz. :rolleyes:

saiga.jpg SAIGA 12

I just went out and shot some 3" #2 shot through my 930JM and it flung those hulls about 15' to my 3 o'clock. That's some energy. #7 shot will almost drop at my feet for comparison.

Self defense shotgun should be pump even if the newer semi autos are getting rock solid in reliability.

So does your self defense handgun also use a pump action? Or how about your self-defense rifle?

The notion that semiautomatic pistols and rifles are perfectly fine for self-defense, while semiauto shotguns are not, is absolutely ludicrous, in my opinion.

balloon_burst.jpg

So does your self defense handgun also use a pump action? Or how about your self-defense rifle?

The notion that semiautomatic pistols and rifles are perfectly fine for self-defense, while semiauto shotguns are not, is absolutely ludicrous, in my opinion.

View attachment 344355

My 930 is 100% reliable. My home defense pistol is 100% reliable. Both are semi auto. My rifle is a bolt.

Average user should use a pump because they lack the experience on semi auto, same reason if asked for pistols I would say a revolver.

Poke the bear and get the response you wanted.

Last Edited:
I never expected 5 pages of comments.

My bedroom gun was assessed based on my current situation. Suburbia.
When I am up and about I am strapped up - handy.

At night, I can't get out the back of my bedroom. I can't make it to the front door. Should I now be in the market, I would have a different home layout. Period. I also share the home only with the wife - no children, parents nor roommates.

Plan is this, I make noise and cover the bedroom door.
Wife rolls out to the bath room, grabbing her pistol, phone and keys. She's on comms.
If I have to clear the house, I use my handgun and leave her the shot gun. Which is a 20 gq, with bird shot loaded and slugs on stock.
I have one of those H&R Pardners - 870 pump clones. I have a flash light mounted on the gun too. 1000 lumens or something.
My pistol safe has a fanny pack - which I'd just slip over my neck with several loaded mags and a flashlight and a couple of multi-tools (one for turning off the gas)

If the situation changes - say riots come to my town, then I might pull out different guns from the safe.

In the day to day, if someone gets in my house, comes towards me while I am yelling to get out, they are getting an ounce of lead, and another and another until they stop. I don't want to hurt anyone, I want them to stop, or to go away, or to not come in in the first place.

At 6:30 Jeff sacfrafices some ribs and a shoulder to demonstrate bird shot.

That demo Jeff did was done with just #8 Birdshot in his Mossberg 930 JM Pro, and I would definitely recommend using larger birdshot than that. A good pheasant or turkey load in #4 shot would be much more appropriate for human self-defense, in my opinion.

Hevi-Shot located in Sweet Home, Oregon also makes a really cool home defense 12 gauge shotshell called Heavy-Duty, which uses fragile #4 or 00 Buckshot. If someone wanted to move up to #4 Buckshot in a 12 gauge, I would highly recommend it for home defense.

HEVI-Shot® Hevi-Duty™

Product_cross_HeviDuty.jpg

My 930 is 100% reliable. My home defense pistol is 100% reliable. Both are semi auto.

Average user should use a pump because they lack the experience on semi auto, same reason if asked for pistols I would say a revolver.

I would say that would be defying all logic. A semiauto shotgun is far, far easier to operate than any pump action shotgun. All you have to do is take your safety off, aim, and then keep pulling the trigger. A pump action shotgun, in comparison, takes much more skill to master shooting. Especially shooting rapidly. And even more so in a high stress situation like self-defense.

In addition, the pump action is going to deliver significantly more recoil to the shooter than a typical gas operated shotgun. An experience shooter will be able to better deal with that recoil, but the average shooter will not. So the semiauto wins on this point too.

For all of these many reasons, a semiauto shotgun is actually BETTER for the less experienced shooter. I don't understand why you think that only more experienced shooters like yourself can handle a semiauto. That attitude seems a bit condescending to me. I grew up as a young teenager learning how to shoot a shotgun with a Browning Auto-5. And if I as a 14 yr old kid could figure out how to operate a semiauto shotgun, I certainly think that your average adult man would have the wherewithal to also be able to do that just fine too.

So, no, I reject all of your arguments in favor of pump action shotguns as being invalid, in my opinion. I must completely disagree with you.

I would say that would be defying all logic. A semiauto shotgun is far, far easier to operate than any pump action shotgun. All you have to do is take your safety off, aim, and then keep pulling the trigger. A pump action shotgun, in comparison, takes much more skill to master shooting. Especially shooting rapidly. And even more so in a high stress situation like self-defense.

In addition, the pump action is going to deliver significantly more recoil to the shooter than a typical gas operated shotgun. An experience shooter will be able to better deal with that recoil, but the average shooter will not. So the semiauto wins on this point too.

For all of these many reasons, a semiauto shotgun is actually BETTER for the less experienced shooter. I don't understand why you think that only more experienced shooters like yourself can handle a semiauto. That attitude seems a bit condescending to me. I grew up as a young teenager learning how to shoot a shotgun with a Browning Auto-5. And if I as a 14 yr old kid could figure out how to operate a semiauto shotgun, I certainly think that your average adult man would have the wherewithal to also be able to do that just fine too.

So, no, I reject all of your arguments in favor of pump action shotguns as being invalid, in my opinion. I must completely disagree with you.

Congratulations on your Prius, knowing how to avoid Eugene scum and learning how to operate a semi auto shotgun at the age of 14. My 11 and 13 year old know how to operate one too. My 13 year old has a PUMP (GASP!!) shotgun that was his Christmas present this year.

Give yourself a HUGE pat on the back for that.

Am I an experienced shooter? Never said that. I said average shooter. Average shooter doesn't pay attention to a semi auto shotgun, keeping it clean, lubed and so it will cycle #8 low brass.

Ever see a semi auto have issues with low brass shot? Ever seen a pump have issues with low brass? I haven't.

Keep dancing if you wish.

I'm sure an average shooter also works on trigger control too... you know..

So they don't do like what you suggested, pull the trigger and keep shooting.. while putting 8 holes the size of a golf ball in an intruder? Then they are sent to prison for shooting a fleeing suspect or one that was lying on the floor because they got anxious and kept pulling the trigger.

Real smart Lance. Real smart.

Again I state:

The average user should use a PUMP shotgun so they think about every shot.

Target Acquired: 6 Best Shotguns For Home Defense
Agree / Disagree with the list
Without going down the a .45 is better ... path, please.

View attachment 343487

My list:
The shotgun you have. Even if it is just a single shot.

The list is just fine and I do have an old 12 ga. English-style double-barrel side-by-side made by Tobin Arms of Canada but I like my much newer 12 ga. pump that holds 6 rounds and makes a nice sound when it's racked in a one-handed motion... scares the bejeezuz out of any intruders, for sure...! :p

just about every firearm has a weak point. all this talk about a pump shotgun being ideal (my pick, my choice, too)...the advantages pretty much vanishes if you're injured.

just about every firearm has a weak point. all this talk about a pump shotgun being ideal (my pick, my choice, too)...the advantages pretty much vanishes if you're injured.
Well, just in the case of one of my arms being out-of-commission due to an injury, I've practiced with my pump using only one arm to rack and fire with both my right and my left, and it works just fine. Try it and you will not only have fun but find out some things that are a bit different when using your less-dominant arm.

I prefer Remington 870's for team integrated offense. I don't think they are good for defense as a stand alone option just because of the lack of ammo capacity. For defense I would say only a shotgun with high capacity should be considered an ideal option. Shotguns are very capable and most folks don't even understand the capabilities they possess. However, a carbine is the way to go for home defense.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top