JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I almost have myself set to get another XD or XDM, but I cant help feeling that maybe I should try another out, I see and hear the Glock love all over, and Im thinking a 19 or a 22 might be a future buy. But I have never fired an HK and Im wondering if I might be missing out..so tell me fellow firearm enthusiasts...am I missing anything? Is the almost 300+ more for the HK worth it? Is it that much better than XD or Glock?

Having shot them all but an XDm, and owned two, I think I have some decent input. I own a Glock 23, the compact .40. I owned an HK USP .45 full size. The only reason I sold it is that I traded my wife's car for several guns, so it wasn't my choice to keep it. A buddy of mine owns an XD .40 full size. The Glock is less comfortable to shoot in my opinion than the other two, but I have had ZERO issues with my Glock and it doesn't take much to get used to. My Glock is also a compact, not a full size, which you have to take into account. My HK was the most comfortable polymer I've ever shot. I had zero issues with that as well. My friend's XD was very comfortable to shoot, but he has had FTF and FTE issues on separate occasions, even after sending it back to Springer to get checked out.

I think everyone should own a Glock and know how to shoot it well. They are insanely popular and an all around good weapon. If I were to do it again, I'd buy a .45. I will be buying an HK again someday, because I loved that gun and miss it greatly. I don't think you'll be disappointed. As far as the XD, they seem to have a reputation for reliability, my friend's XD seems to be the exception and has turned me off to buying one for now. I like how they shoot, but I'm not a huge fan of the looks.

Since you already own a Springer, I say buy something different. Get a Glock if you want a great, popular gun, just be aware that they shoot differently. If you go for an HK, you won't be disappointed, but you may end up wanting the Mark23 or the USP Tactical. Then you're doubling the cost.

Have fun deciding.

I have used the Springer XD in 9mm, .40 and .45 as well as owned Glock models 23, 19, 30, 21, 22 and 27. I feel they are for different situations. I personally dont like to conceal a Glock due to a lack of safety features. The springer is better suited for that situation (and my comfort zone). But i still do....

However I noticed you were looking at the full size Glocks, so if the gun is for open carry, I would suggest them over the Springer. Glocks are made up of about half the parts of an average auto pistol, replacement parts seem to be cheaper too (and available everywhere), and extremely reliable.

In my experience, you will kinda have to learn how to shoot again with a Glock. They are uncomfortable, but you train yourself to "feel" the uncomfortable points and know exactly where the bullet will go by the grip alone. You'll know if something is not quite right. I hated it at first, but when I learned the gun, I was a better shot for it. Now I wont really buy any other handgun.

Its all about your comfort zone. Ask 100 people get 100 answers (Fords and Chevys).
Just my .02, good luck.

Look at the M&P series. I have a Glock 19 and love it, but I will not buy any other model. Glock chambers are unsupported at the rear of the case. The M&P's have a fully supported chamber, offered with and without manual safety. I shot a M&P 9mm that a friend has and I really like it. I have been thinking of getting one in a .40 S&W later on. I think he gave $460 for his.

Look at the M&P series. I have a Glock 19 and love it, but I will not buy any other model. Glock chambers are unsupported at the rear of the case. The M&P's have a fully supported chamber, offered with and without manual safety. I shot a M&P 9mm that a friend has and I really like it. I have been thinking of getting one in a .40 S&W later on. I think he gave $460 for his.

These guns are so comfortable, you could hold onto it forever.

I have owned or own Glocks and many HK's. The glock is reliable, but that is it. HK's are expensive, but hold their valuable and my fav to shoot. one hold of the p30 and you will be sold. i am digin the M&P 9 right now though..

I had not thought of the M&P. Looks like I have another to gun to check out... I'm gonna end up getting three instead of just the one. You are all to blame! ( Thanks! )

Without any problem with the Glocks, I just couldn't shoot them accurately. There was no natural point of aim for me. At self defense distances I was fine, but not at any longer range.

Years later, I bought my first H&K. I started with the USP series and now have a P30, P2000 and a HK45. I like them a lot. I like the flexibility on DA/SA (I'm not a LEM fan) and they are plenty accurate. They eat everything I feed them. They are pricey, and, that is one of their drawbacks. I don't buy for resale, so the resale value is of little concern to me. Without bashing any other brand, they "work" for me.

I have a Walther PPS which is also a fine machine.

I have owned 1911s, Springfields, Glocks and Browning 9mm. For value and reliability the Glock is very hard to beat. Issues of not enough safeties and unsupported barrels are non issues. If you use the 5 rules of handling a gun you will never have a problem with a Glock. If you put your finger on the trigger when you are not ready to fire you will have a problem. If you have not had a Glock you should get one. I would not recommend the 23 as it is not as comfortable to shoot as most of the other Glocks.

Glock is great with the price. But I just can't get use to that grip.

XD felt great, but was not interested.

HK P30L is yum. feels great, shoots great, and looks great. :)

I've owned multiple Glocks, HK's and 2 XD's so here's what I think :)

First of all, yes, you should try something different. Even if it's not a Glock or an HK, having diversity in your gun collection will give you a more rounded opinion on firearms and you'll find that there are things that you learn about your shooting skills/style just by shooting a different gun.

As far as XD vs. Glock, considering the XD was developed as a competitor is to the Glock, you'll find that in the grand scheme of things, they are pretty similar. I personally like Glocks better - partly because they are the "original" tupperware gun, and partly because I think they are just better made firearms.

With HK's, you're getting into a different league of firearm. IMHO they shoot better, look better, are more comfortable and have an overall higher build quality. They're also more expensive. Are they worth almost twice as much? Probably not, but you get what you pay for. I love my HK's and if I ever had to sell of my pistol collection, they'd be some of the last to go.

It kind of depends what you want - if you want the least expensive reliable gun to throw bullets downrange, then a Glock will be good enough for you. If you want something with a little more finesse and don't mind spending the money, then check out an HK. Go shoot one and see what you think.

I really like my glocks.
My springers are nice too.
Most hk's are uncomfortable for me to shoot. I've had allot of experience with them, but i've never been a big fan of theirs.

My favorite is still my Beretta px4 storm. It's been used, abused, rode hard and put away dirty, gritty, and wet... and it still has never skipped a single beat. I was able to win a local pistol match with it and factory ammo. The people with their $2000+ kimbers and custom loads that they've been developing for months or more were not very sociable after I won. I'm almost at 20,000 rounds through my px4. I know at some point I should change some springs... or something like that, but i'm in no hurry. It's fed everything from the cheapest brown bear to flying ashtrays and never had a problem of any sort despite the fact that it's never had more than a field strip, wipe down, and lube up. It is my quintessential go-to gun.

Interesting comment: I've won a lot of matches in Oregon with a limited class single stack 1911 and stock Glock 35, and the people have always been very sociable. They are a great group of dedicated shooters.

This particular 1911 crowd seems to be more of a clique. They love talking amongst themselves about their 1911's, new accessories, and custom loads... but they didnt seem very interested in socializing in someone who out shot them with a stock plastic gun and factory rounds.
This particular clique seemed more centered around their equipment than their shooting. The glock, xd, and hk crowd seemed much more friendly.
There seemed to be a small social divide between plastic and metal shooters. It's sad really.

I'd be interested in hearing what other matches are going on around Oregon. I think it'd be a breath of fresh air to branch out a little bit.

I've owned a service size XD45 and a XD40 Tactical, never got around to shooting either (I go through lots of guns in trades), I didn't like the feel of them or how you took them apart. I've had probably 10 Glocks and have loved EVERY one! Quick to disassemble without any fun ways of doing in, reliable, accurate, and well priced. I shot my cousins HK USP, before I did I was dead set on wanting one, after a mag. I was dead set on not getting one. The ruff texture wasn't very cool on my palm, it wasn't real accurate (could have been me, well both of us), it just didn't impress me for the price. I'd go Glock all the way. I've never *met* anybody that didn't really like their Glock.

I own all 3. they are all reliable and people can go back and forth on them all day long.

1. my favorite H&K they are reliable, very very accurate and have an incredible feel. my favorite is the P30 though, i have that in Variant 3 and its awesome. I also have the p30 in the .40 cal. love it too they eat anything, wont jam, run them dirty, they don't just work the work very well. the USP series i have in the .40 and the .45 both compacts. great guns too.

2. Glock's great weapon choice as well, I have just about every model in .45, .40, 9mm in gen's 1-4. They are the ak47 of the pistol world they eat anything and are accurate, they are a working gun. not as accurate as H&K. issues some older gens. handles on polymer would break in certain conditions. and they fit like a block in your hand but overall you cant beat the Glock for the price point.

3. Springfield XD/xdm springfield's are in my opinion a cute civilian/beginner gun. They're reliable, accurate, and they fit in your hand better than a Glock ,but not as reliable as a glock or H&K. or the $600 most places are asking not a wise buy. they are a $400.00 gun. as they wont feed everything you try to put through them. its not just 1 or 2 springfield's but i have 4 of them the subcompact's in .40 and 9mm in both xd xdm.

at the end of the day my
first choice is H&K
second is Glock
third springfield
but all good weapons i must say you get what you pay for in weapons most of the time. glock/ springfield are commodity weapons million of them out there, but the h&k not so much. people buy them and tend to keep them.

HK= love HK rifles but their handguns don't fit my ergos except for the discontinued squeeze-cocker series. Mags expensive, aftermarket goodies limited

XP= love the ergos, HATE THE SILLY GRIP SAFETY, mags expensive and aftermarket goodies limited

Glock, ergos fit, mags cheap, tons of aftermarket goodies

You forgot the S & W M & P, I would put it above the XP but mags/accessories are a problem

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top