JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use an estwing. It weighs as close to noting as I could want, with a full steel tang to boot. Problem is, because it's so light, there's not a lot of mass to carry through what you may want to chop. Almost seems more at home on a battlefield than in a camp..... I like it all the same

I use an estwing. It weighs as close to noting as I could want, with a full steel tang to boot. Problem is, because it's so light, there's not a lot of mass to carry through what you may want to chop. Almost seems more at home on a battlefield than in a camp..... I like it all the same
This is why I don't like the lighter hatchets - the mass is not enough to do the splitting and chopping tasks I use a hatchet for. So I opt for the "belt axe" which is heavier and has a longer handle.

I just bought the Estwing Fireplace friend, probably not what your looking for but it is my new favorite kindling maker.
You guys cost me a lot of money.

I just went to Amazon, found this Fireplace Friend Splitting Tool, and pressed BUY NOW.

This is why I don't like the lighter hatchets - the mass is not enough to do the splitting and chopping tasks I use a hatchet for. So I opt for the "belt axe" which is heavier and has a longer handle.
I chopped down one 12" hard as hades bull pine with an Estwing hatchet. Once.

Lol, still a great little tool.

May get a little hate over this, I pack around an RMJ Tactical hatchet usually. This one is the Krein Bushcrafter, nice little hatchet. 😉

D6A0ABAE-B6E0-47CA-BF49-05E8346DDF67.jpeg

I carry a Fiskars X7 hatchet. Very light, sharp and pretty much indestructible

This thread took on a lot of rambling non pertinent commentary.
I hope folks stay more on track in my thread.
If they like an ax, I would like specifics as to why they think it is a quality/superior tool, and omit , garage sale finds, and bargain basement items.

Best,
Gart

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top