JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would like to know who funds all these ridiculous studies. We should come up with a few and cash in.
The anti-gun lobbies.

When I worked for a doctor, I saw a lot of this; some doctor would want to sell something (some gadget or treatment they had) and they would start an "institute" with some scientific name, under the name of some of their buddy docs (it was better if their name wasn't on the institute "board") and then the institute would do a "study" claiming this or that or the other thing, get it published in some supposedly peer review journal (also buddies) and then they would sell more of their product or service.

This would go back and forth, with the people in one institute trading "studies" or endorsements for studies or endorsements from another institute, making it seem legit when it wasn't.

The anti-gun lobbies.

When I worked for a doctor, I saw a lot of this; some doctor would want to sell something (some gadget or treatment they had) and they would start an "institute" with some scientific name, under the name of some of their buddy docs (it was better if their name wasn't on the institute "board") and then the institute would do a "study" claiming this or that or the other thing, get it published in some supposedly peer review journal (also buddies) and then they would sell more of their product or service.

This would go back and forth, with the people in one institute trading "studies" or endorsements for studies or endorsements from another institute, making it seem legit when it wasn't.
And they all have some underlying self serving agenda. That is, to GET PAID while convincing the feeble minded public that they should be afraid... VERY AFRAID.

The idiots that believe this BS, are the same type of Lobotomy patients:s0037: that believe what they read in The National Enquirer. :s0076: The Agenda is obvious and the ''Writing is on the Wall'' :s0026: As for me I try not to let this Media propaganda get to me ,:s0093: but it gets to all of us. Realize Brethren the CLOCK IS TICKING ! :s0008:That is what I see and hear and the AGENDA is going full throttle. Be that as it may, when the SHTF :s0098: :s0106: I am going Head On and Full Throttle ! :s0043: What a RUSH ! :s0085::s0062: :s0148: :s0047: :s0121:

How many of those cops were shot with their own firearm or a stolen firearm? Darren Wilson was almost one of those stats - if Mike Brown had landed one mote lucky blow or if he had successfully snatched Wilson's gun - as it was Wilson came out on top but it was a close one in that scenario. More criminals seem eager or at least willing to go hands on with the cops and assault them or try a weapon grab.

How about a study showing that high populations of criminals leads to more dead cops and citizens? How about one showing a link between believing in the tooth fairy causes tooth loss among young children. Or that building more colleges leads to higher percentages of useless unproductive citizens suckling up grant money in academia because they cant do anything else?

We must reject the idea that every time a law is broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.

It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his own actions.

Ronald Reagan

They are a looking at the states where it's "most likely" for a cop to die from a gun, maybe they should look at the states where cops actually "die the most" from gang violence. And cross reference that with the amount of guns registered by gang members.

studies-show.jpg

Does the study show in how many instances alcohol, drugs, mental illness and anger over cheating spouses were involved in the shootings?

I cant access the whole article, just the abstract. I dont want to pay $22 to read the article especially when my taxes went to pay for the research.

But lets assume the statement is correct around rates (0.95 per 10,000 in high gun owning states vs .31 per 10,000 in low gun owning states)

Montana is listed as one of the states with higher gun ownership. This page lists 80 officer deaths of gunfire since the first one recorded in 1892
https://www.odmp.org/search/browse/montana

So assuming the authors statement of reducing gun ownership will save lives for all these 123 years, that would be 26 less officer deaths. Obviously, only counting modern times, it would be just a few.

In Alabama. another 300 gunfire related deaths since 1791. same as above, it would only save a few lives.

Now, Im not saying officer lives should be forfeit for gun ownership. But these are small numbers. But what would happen if we did what the author said and reduce or eliminate gun ownership?

perhaps we would turn into a utopia of peace and prosperity? Perhaps our government would enslave us? Perhaps the violent crime rate would skyrocket since having the worlds largest prison population does not seem to deter anyone.

Like we do in medicine, a treatment may have data that supports its use (albeit, only benefiting a very few in this case), but what are it's side effects? Is the treatment worse than what it is trying to accomplish?

Unfortunately, studies like this just become a arguing point for one side. No one sees the big picture because they are too busy arguing.

LEO death causes for the period 2005-2014.

LEO death rates by state for the period 2008-2012.

The first link indicates that about 1/3 of all LEO deaths during that period were firearm-related. Second largest cause was automobile-related. It appears to me that all the deaths were in the line of duty, but I suppose that "...killed in the line of duty..." needs to be defined.

Open the second link and select States of your choosing to see the death rate. Idaho, for example, is 2.6 per 50,000 compared to, again for example, Illinois at 3.3 per 50,000. Idaho had 2 deaths during the period, Illinois had 22.

My favorite college text was a tiny tome titled: "How to Lie with Statistics".

Note the keen weasel-wording in the "study": highest rates of homicide of law enforcement officers…

So they have already eliminated the other causes of death (traffic collisions, suicide, choking on a grape, etc.).

This is brilliant marketing. Why didn't they just say "100% of cops killed with guns are now dead" or something even more sensational.

And lets not lose sight of the stellar job the CDC is now doing to promulgate misinformation about guns and death now that an Exec Order lets them spend out tax dollars on junk science pushing a specific agenda again.

The same study right now could also lead to this conclusion:

High gun ownership has lead to:

High unemployment
Increase in food stamp recipients
Increased mortgage default
Increased illegal immigration
Increased Windows 10 usage
Increased Planned Parenthood funding
Increased national debt
Increased government spending
Increased national obesity

Anything taken years ago and compared to the same stats today are remarkable!!

Researchers found that states such as Montana, Arkansas, Alabama and Idaho, which have the highest rates of state-registered private gun ownership, also have the highest rates of homicide of law enforcement officers.

Assuming the study is correct, the conclusions are not; they are mistaking correlation with causation - a common fallacy (in this case, probably intentional).

I was going to post the time-honored "correlation does not equal causation." If I were going to be as logically rigorous as the author, I could note that Montana, Arkansas, Alabama and Idaho also have higher tree per capita ratios than Camden and NYC and conclude that trees cause police officer deaths.

Researchers found that states such as Montana, Arkansas, Alabama and Idaho, which have the highest rates of state-registered private gun ownership, also have the highest rates of homicide of law enforcement officers. States including Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey experience some of the lowest rates of both police officers killed and gun ownership.
I apologize for the lateness of this reply, but I only discovered this thread today.
The Idaho Constitution prohibits registration of firearms. However, if the death rate is homicides divided by registrations, then mathematically the value for Idaho of even one death would be 1 / 0 = infinity, which is a very large number.

My favorite college text was "How to Lie with Statistics".

"Researchers found that states such as Montana, Arkansas, Alabama and Idaho, which have the highest rates of state-registered private gun ownership,..."

State registered private gun ownership in Montana and Idaho? Something smells here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top