JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Man, I had never realized how expensive it is to rent a gun you are thinking of buying. Another member just brought up the topic in another thread and I said it is much cheaper to just find a friend that has the gun and shoot theirs. I say that because a friend of mine wanted to buy a certain model Glock a couple months ago and I went with him to the rental range. I will not say the range name since I do not like to slam small businesses but I will say it was surprisingly expensive.

It seems only a couple places in PDX rented the gun he wanted and they all required you shoot their ammo in rental guns. By the time he paid for the range fee, rental fee, and their ammo he was into the gun about $85 before even buying it. The gun he was looking at costs less than $500 normally so that was almost 20% of the total cost of the gun. That is outrageous to me.

I know how your friend feels. My friend wanted to go shooting last Wednesday, so I called our local ranges and the prices were ridiculous. $35 range fee, $8-$18 box of 50 22lr -.45acp, targets, and rental fee if we wanted to shoot their guns. One particular range had only 2 calibers in stock to choose from. The other range I decided to visit in person, I looked at variety of rental weapons and they looked all worn out and filthy. Is that normal? I mean filthy, when handling the gun you will have residue all over your hands.

Have you tried the Clackamas County Public Safety Training Center?

<broken link removed>
We tried them first, but they did not have the gun he wanted and they did not have any ammo at all. When we called the woman said "unless you are shooting 9mm you are out of luck." Granted this was several months ago during the height of the ammo crunch.

We tried them first, but they did not have the gun he wanted and they did not have any ammo at all. When we called the woman said "unless you are shooting 9mm you are out of luck." Granted this was several months ago during the height of the ammo crunch.

What is the gun he want's to shoot? We area community here and we can help our own.

It'll take more than a couple shrinks to slow Penguin down :p

There's a place in Eugene I've driven by a few times that used to have a sign saying they rented a Thompson out, thats about the only time I've ever considered paying for a range-loaner

We went through with my wife who wanted a handgun. We rented and that was good because we found out that a 38 was too much for her. Had we purchased that would have been ok too, as I'd have that 38, lol.

We use the small range in Lebanon and they were great, and not too mych either.
However, the rental guns were well worn.

Baron's den in eugene rents guns for 5.00 per gun. At least that's what their sign said. They have app. 60 plus guns to rent in everything from .22 to s&w x frames. I didn't see if they have ammo regulations regarding their rental guns but you can always give them a call. Their purchase prices on new guns are a little higher than I've seen in other stores in the area but they do have a very good, wide selection.

Man, I had never realized how expensive it is to rent a gun you are thinking of buying. Another member just brought up the topic in another thread and I said it is much cheaper to just find a friend that has the gun and shoot theirs. I say that because a friend of mine wanted to buy a certain model Glock a couple months ago and I went with him to the rental range. I will not say the range name since I do not like to slam small businesses but I will say it was surprisingly expensive.

*cough* The Place to Sheet *cough*

I think it's a good investment for someone who has limited experience with guns to go try some out. In my opinion, much better to zero-in on something you like to shoot than go buy a hand-cannon (or whatever), take it to the range, hate it, then give up on shooting. I wonder how many people have been talked into a scandium snub-nose .357 as their first gun (because they're light-weight to carry!) and had their firearms experience go downhill from there.

Not everyone has friends with guns; and even those who do may not have a variety of guns to try.

But, you're right - it' ain't cheap to rent & shoot guns. Owning & shooting guns isn't cheap in general, so maybe it's a good intro to what's to come.

It'll take more than a couple shrinks to slow Penguin down :p

There's a place in Eugene I've driven by a few times that used to have a sign saying they rented a Thompson out, thats about the only time I've ever considered paying for a range-loaner

That's the Baron's Den.
They have a great rental wall. If you buy a gun, the rental is waived (only $5 per rental) and you can use your own ammo and targets.
A great range, good staff (Raye Gunter especially) and prices are ok on most items.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top