JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think this fits better here than anywhere else. :)

I have a pretty good number of handguns, though very few multiples of any one style. Lately, I have been putting thought into caliber consolidation, and have been thinking a lot about platform standardization and consolidation for my handguns. Now, I realize that one handgun isn't going to fit the bill for all uses, but I am looking for something that I can standardize on for putting in all my cars, by the nightstand, in my bug out bags, one for each family member, etc. I will also train my wife and kids on this platform, for self protection and bug-out scenarios.

Has anyone done this before? What did you end up going with? Also interested in caliber, but only secondary to the platform at this point.

Requirements:
Future proof/Resistant (a model that's likely to be around for a long time)
Reputation for reliability
User friendly
Advanced safety features
High Round capacity (>10)
$300-500 price point (some flexibility here)
There are probably more that I haven't thought of yet

Last Edited:
Yeah, not bad options. I was Kicking around the idea of XD9s or Norinco Np-22. I have disqualified the 1911 for a couple of reasons (don't get me wrong, I own more than a couple). Mag capacity is the main reason.

the 1911 just throwing it out there cause apparently everyone has them ( not me) i have a Beretta px4 storm .. but im looking at the Taurus and rugger .. 12 round mags small enough that it can be shoved into a pocket or a purse if need be last ditch... my wife's tacticool purse the Beretta is just a wee bit big unless its canted a certain way

I went through this with my family.

The brands they looked at, were: FN, S&W, Glock, Sig Sauer, Springfield, Walther, CZ and Beretta.

What they wanted was, reliability, a stainless steel slide, night sights, multiple grips for different hand sizes, a picatinny rail for a light or light/laser combo, a size that was big enough to shoot well and small enough to CC, and a caliber they could all use effectively.

They ended up choosing the Sig Sauer SP2022 with Sig night sights in 9mm. 15+1

Everyone in our family can pick up any one of the Sig's and know how to use it, disassemble, clean and reassemble the firearm. Which is an added plus to having the same gear.
It is also very nice to have everyone using the same parts, ammo, holsters, magazines and accessories.

If you need a different style holster, accessories, spare magazines, etc, you can just grab what you need, because you know it fits.

We do have other handguns in 9mm, 45acp, 357 mag, 44mag, etc.. But, our handguns for every day use or shtf, are the Sig's.

We went along the same route for rifles as well, but a bit more diverse. Our main calibers are, 5.56, 308 and 7.62x39, with a batch of bolt guns in different calibers.
This choice was made due to these types of ammunition being most common and that the 5.56 and 7.62x39 have little recoil, so the smaller, less experienced family members can shoot well without flinching.

You have lots of manufacturers and models to choose from.

Best of luck in your search!

M67

Last Edited:
Awesome reply! This is exactly the thing I am looking for. Looks like ese are running about $350-400 on Gunbroker.

1. I am not the only one :)
2. Great considerations, some of which I have not yet called out.

Personally, I don't think consolidation of handguns is a real necessity, the money spent on buying new guns would be better put to purchasing magazines, and spare parts for your existing collection.

I say this for two reasons; first, having a variety of guns, with varying calibers gives you a wider footprint in terms of what you can use. Second, forcing everyone to use the same gun has created many of the problems police services have encountered over the years when they forced these decisions. It is better to give everyone their own gun of their choice that they can maintain and shoot well vs forcing them all into the same package.

If despite my advice, you feel the need to force this, glock's in either .40 or 9mm will probably be around into the next century. They already have a 30 year proven track record, they are well built, and perform very well in a wide variety of conditions and configurations. I would not consider the XD, the 1911 or anything made by taurus for this list. As they are either too old a design, not made in the US, or simply wouldn't pass quality muster.

The one I would pick (if I had to) would likely be the FN-FNX in 9mm or 40. It is definitely a 4th gen handgun (interchangable grip panels, fully ambidextrous, polymer frame and disassembles with a take down lever into 4 parts, frame, slide, spring, barrel). It is made in the US, and while aftermarket parts are not hugely available at the moment a lot of that stems from it being a mostly new gun. The fact that it doesn't have the long track record of the Glock is the only reason it wouldn't top out my list.

I am personally consolidated on the calibers of 9mm, .45 ACP, and 5.56 NATO.

I have also had conversations with a few neighbors such that there is some mutual synergy around these same calibers. However, there is no emphasis on common manufacturers for the swapping of parts for when something breaks in a pistol or rifle.

Peter

Personally, I don't think consolidation of handguns is a real necessity, the money spent on buying new guns would be better put to purchasing magazines, and spare parts for your existing collection.

I am far from done with any collection, and am going to be spending money on guns for the next 50 years, so I will never be completely down to a single platform. I have Sigs, 1911s, Rugers, XDs, a S&W 500 and more, all of which server a purpose. My intention isn't to sell all of my existing guns and buy just one type, it's to pick one platform that I can put in many different places, where I, or other family members, may need them on quick notice, which I am familiar with and can use similar components and accessories as the others. It's nice to not have to buy 30 different Galco holsters/mag holders/Mags to accomodate different platforms.

I say this for two reasons; first, having a variety of guns, with varying calibers gives you a wider footprint in terms of what you can use.

Good point, well said.

So, here is the list of candidates so far:

Springfield XD
Sig SP2022
Glock something...
FN FNX

Police aren't handicapped by being forced into one platform,they are handicapped by not being forced to train with said platform.

I have already done something like this,but for myself.So picking the gun was easy.And if I want to change,well that's simple too.
But I think it is a wise decision to keep all the guns for defense on one platform.
I have glocks for SD and a few others for hunting carry or just shooting.

I think there are a lot of good points so far.You just need to find out which 'one gun' your family shoots best,or can learn the easiest.
Let the ones with the smallest hands pick the gun they can handle best,then go from there.
1911 is a perfectly good platform and anyone who says it is antiquated can't shoot it worth a damp.But the 1911 isn't a good child's gun or if the wife has smaller hands. (same with the glock)
Maybe try the S&W M&P.It seems to have a smaller grip that might suit women and children
I had the FN FNP and didn't like the trigger pull.But it is probably a fine weapon other than that.Does the FNX have a better trigger?

I had consolidated my calibers and make several years when things were rough for me, but over the last couple of years I have done what you would call de-consolidation of makes and calibers.

From everything I have read there are very strong arguments,

One when consolidated you only need one or a few calibers for all weapons, such that the military does, and for an organization such as the Army or Marines, I think that is a pretty good idea, because they have a very good logistical system and stockpile of ammo

Second, in shtf situation you or I or someone else may not be able to get the caliber of ammo they need or someone may be in a situation where they can trade but not have my particular caliber. So I decided to diversify, so in a shtf situation it would be easier for to barter for ammo, should I find the need.

From everything I have read there are very strong arguments,

One when consolidated you only need one or a few calibers for all weapons, such that the military does, and for an organization such as the Army or Marines, I think that is a pretty good idea, because they have a very good logistical system and stockpile of ammo

Second, in shtf situation you or I or someone else may not be able to get the caliber of ammo they need or someone may be in a situation where they can trade but not have my particular caliber. So I decided to diversify, so in a shtf situation it would be easier for to barter for ammo, should I find the need.

During a shtf event, i would not be willing to trade anything for ammo, unless it was sealed in such a manor that it could not be tampered with.

It is easy to make ammunition that will destroy the firearm that shoots it, and causing possible injury to the person shooting as well.

We have taken into account, that we may not be able to resupply from known outside sources.

Stock what you will need as a group and individuals, in multiple locations.
This will be your first and best option.

9mm Glocks meet all of your requirements. Buy whatever models you want and buy spare model 17 magazines for them all. Unless you just don't like them they are the best answer.

I had the FN FNP and didn't like the trigger pull.But it is probably a fine weapon other than that.Does the FNX have a better trigger?

the FNX trigger is nearly the same as the FNP, I have both, the DA trigger pull is a little heavier than I would like, and it does not stage as well as some of the other DA/SA guns I have. I havn't quite developed the moxy to take apart my FNX for a trigger job, but it will likely be coming in the next few weeks. The SA pull on most of the FNX's are around 3lbs, and it is a two stage military style trigger which not everyone likes.

I have done this, aside from what I've inherited, I've stuck to common calibers and mostly NATO calibers. so my first purchase was Glock 17 and I intend to stick with the Glock platform in 9mm and also pick up a sub2k that takes the Glock mag. I want to do the same with rifles, a .223 would be a perfect hunting rifle for my wife, she's tiny. .243 would be great, but its one more caliber to invest in.

You would need 2 calibers 22 and 9mm, 40 or 45.
I chose 9mm it is the most common, cheapest (I like to shoot a lot), lighter and smaller than the others. Many manufactures make the same gun in different sizes that the would fit the hole family. So the controls and operation would be the same.
You would also need a 22 for many of the small jobs you don't want to waist your 9mm on.
Many manufactures have the same model in 22 also and glock has 22 conversion kits as well.

Laugh if you wish but while I do have other guns....my family ( 3 adults ) all have S&W model 64 .38 Special revolvers for this purpose. A gun anyone can use with minimal training and practice, good ammo availability, adequate stopping power, and the ability to easily save empties for reloading. Obviously there are other solutions for this question but that's what I chose for us. Honestly, I probably would have bought 3 Glocks but my wife and adult daughter don't practice quite enough for me to be happy about them packing autos. Finally, I don't genuinely believe I will ever be in a handgun shootout requiring all that many shots. In a SHTF situation we all have rifles or shotguns too....to be carried as well.

9mm Glocks meet all of your requirements. Buy whatever models you want and buy spare model 17 magazines for them all. Unless you just don't like them they are the best answer.

Thanks ROC. This is definitely towards the top of the list, and they do meet all of the requirements. Additionally, I am leaning towards standardizing on the 9mm cartridge due to capacity and lower recoil.

During a shtf event, i would not be willing to trade anything for ammo, unless it was sealed in such a manor that it could not be tampered with.

It is easy to make ammunition that will destroy the firearm that shoots it, and causing possible injury to the person shooting as well.

Standardizing on platform and caliber should keep me from ever having to acquire outside ammo. Also, I don't believe that the post-apocalyptic world perpetuated in Hollywood or fictional novels is a reality. Check out :'The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse by Fernando Aguirre.

You don't play golf with one club. Think about it.

I don't play Golf at all, it feels like a waste of time :). Also, this isn't about going to a single platform across the board, I thought this was clear. Think about having a full set of clubs, but you're really good with your 5 iron, so you buy more of them to continue to refine/practice what you're already good at. This doesn't mean you throw out your driver.

You would need 2 calibers 22 and 9mm, 40 or 45.
I chose 9mm it is the most common, cheapest (I like to shoot a lot), lighter and smaller than the others. Many manufactures make the same gun in different sizes that the would fit the hole family. So the controls and operation would be the same.
You would also need a 22 for many of the small jobs you don't want to waist your 9mm on.
Many manufactures have the same model in 22 also and glock has 22 conversion kits as well.

Thanks for the reply, Charger. I agree. I have a couple of Sig Mosquitos for .22 practice, and I am heavily leaning towards 9mm at this point. Also, good call on the multi-caliber platforms. I just bought a P226 Stainless Elite in .40 which allows me to convert to .357 Sig and 9mm. I really like the flexibility.

Laugh if you wish but while I do have other guns....my family ( 3 adults ) all have S&W model 64 .38 Special revolvers for this purpose. A gun anyone can use with minimal training and practice, good ammo availability, adequate stopping power, and the ability to easily save empties for reloading. Finally, I don't genuinely believe I will ever be in a handgun shootout requiring all that many shots.

No, I don't laugh. While high capacity is a pretty solid requirement for my application, you make some really good points about usability with minimal training. Thanks for the response.

Ok, so I am leaning heavily towards 9mm (though that wasn't originally part of the question in this thread originally), and the top contenders are the Glock 17, M&P 9, XD 9, and Sig 2022. I am leaning towards the XD slightly because it seems like they've combined all of the top safety and usability features of the last century into one platform. The only thing it doesn't have going for it is the platform longevity like the Glock has.

Used to worry about this all the time - still do to some extent, but keep coming back to the same point I started at a friend helped me out a tad. Got to talking to a Marine Corps buddy who is a retired infantry officer (21-years, 3-combat tours/2 Iraq 1 in Afghaniastan). He was the OIC for the Marine Corps skool teaching all the jarheads about what its like"over there" and now runs his own school. He uses a Glock 17 - the same one he has had for the last 13-years. I'd ask him all kinds of questions and would always get similar answers; "man, its a handgun, pick a good one and learn to shoot it." "Even with all the combat, your rifle is the weapon you're going to use. The handgun is a backup, just needs to work when called upon." For most of us, this is a bit different as we probably all don't carry a rifle every day and maybe we need a smaller handgun for concealment purposes and maybe want a more potent caliber as we don't have that rifle readily available. So, I figure, pick a good quality gun that you know will work all the time in a caliber that is readily available (thinking what is on the shelf at Wal Mart or Bi-Mart - for me that means 10mm and 38 Super are probably out) and learn to shoot it well. I'm a big Glock fanboy and to that end tend to think the G19 is the one gun EVERYONE should own at least on of; its plane and simple, it works. The G19 is not ultra powerful or fits super well or is the most beautiful thing you have ever seen. It just works, and with a little practice it can work for everybody. Thats just me though.

So, to standardize? For the plastic fantastic - started with a few different Glocks before there was anything else and learned to love them. Tried the XD and XDm but saw no reason to move away from Glock. Tried the M&P (a great gun), but again no reason to move away from Glock - also hated the trigger on the M&P and am a fan of "factory" parts (other than sights) and am NOT going to put money into a "custom" trigger to make it feel more like a Glock - just get a Glock! So there I am stuck on Glock. Carried a Sig for many years; great guns but nowadays very expensive and as carry guns get beat up - don't want to be beating on an expensive gun - if somebody gave me a Sig I'd gladly carry it, but there is noboday at my door hnding out guns. Carried a Smith 1076 for a while and thats a big pile-o-junk, heavy and rattles loose after a while. Colt Officers ACP, love Colts, but carrying a 1911 is not the happiest thing. So, I keep coming back around to Glock, others might have some other platform they prefer, but for me its Glock. Just works. For caliber - 9, 40 or 45ACP - pick your fav. So, for me, I think I shoot the Glocks the most, but there are other fun guns out there too.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews