JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yea I was getting the 'low battery' signal on my Baofeng and I was getting a 'beep' when I pushed the PTT button so I think thats a sign of very low power as well.

We'll try tomorrow when I am back up!

What is your call sign?
k2ncc.

PM me and i'll send ya my ph#. then feel free to text me when ready. as hanging here and hitting refresh isn't doin' it for me. :)

if i'm near a radio, i'll turn it on an monitor.

i'll move to 146.520 (fm simplex) on for a bit longer tonight if anyone else cares to try.

f

You listening on walker now? Whats your call sign - I'll call you to see if you can hear anything.

I am KJ7 ZNH
For everyone else, I was off the board from 6 to 9pm.
RVTech and i connected by PM.
We tried again.
Not gonna happen. No signal, can't crack it.
190 miles is way too far for my little setup.

I'm K2DCS.

I called in to the Heppner ARES net tonight. Every Sunday 7:30PM, 146.780, minus, tone 67.
They were nice; welcomed me to come back next week.
Not a great signal, but not terrible. Pretty scratchy, but still pretty amazing for a 70-mile distance with a handheld.

I wonder if the smoke degrades the signal? Really hazy here today, brown sunlight, alien sunset. That Bootleg fire is a monster.

I wonder if the smoke degrades the signal? Really hazy here today, brown sunlight, alien sunset. That Bootleg fire is a monster.
Actual fire in close proximity (e.g., firefighter) - yes. Smoke plumes in line of sight - yes. General haze - probably not dense enough to notice, if at all - unless, maybe if you are trying troposphere duct bouncing, which is not what you guys are doing - and even then...

jwu54zc2k6c71.jpg

Look what I was given today!

It's older (1988) but it is an Icom 751A all band transceiver!

I need a power supply for it and a mike but until I get my 'General' ticket I can listen in and learn how it works! (the manual came with it so thats a help!)

IMG_2703[1].JPG

Last Edited:
Look what I was given today!

It's older (1988) but it is an Icom 751A all band transceiver!

I need a power supply for it and a mike but until I get my 'General' ticket I can listen in and learn how it works! (the manual came with it so thats a help!)

View attachment 1003980
Nice! That's a newer model but much like my IC-745. There is quite a bit of information on the Web on these, and if yours ever needs professional repairs, the factory expert lives near Toledo, WA. It should serve you long and well!

Jim, WB9SYN

Hey this stuff is GREAT info, but I'm dumber than a stump as far as what I would need to get by these days. Where I'm at I'm surrounded by 460 acres of timber. I'd like to have a short wave system whereby I can find out WTF is going on, really. If you experts had a GRAND to spend on a system that would get me there, please, please let me know where I need to go.
I know about how to supply my Castle for armament, but I'm a little short on knowledge on how and when they're coming. What all would you recommend to start with, as far as reliable information reception would entail. And I appreciate all professional advice as can be provided, and thanks in advance.

Hey this stuff is GREAT info, but I'm dumber than a stump as far as what I would need to get by these days. Where I'm at I'm surrounded by 460 acres of timber. I'd like to have a short wave system whereby I can find out WTF is going on, really. If you experts had a GRAND to spend on a system that would get me there, please, please let me know where I need to go.
I know about how to supply my Castle for armament, but I'm a little short on knowledge on how and when they're coming. What all would you recommend to start with, as far as reliable information reception would entail. And I appreciate all professional advice as can be provided, and thanks in advance.
While I'm certainly no expert I am an amateur radio operator, albeit a Technician class. I have experience with disaster communications -- having used ham radio many times during disaster responses, and I have some knowledge of other communication technologies.

Perhaps I can help you more clearly define what you want a radio to do, whom you want to hear from, and do you want it to be one or two-way communications? Then others with more expertise may be able to offer useful suggestions.

1. Who do you want to hear from (neighbors, friends in the next state or across the country local emergency management, state emergency management, FEMA, CDC,)?

2. What information do you want to hear?

3. Are you interested in only receiving information?

4. Do you want to communicate with others (see #1)?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR