JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Calling all hunters and outdoorswomen and men / adventures and travelers.
The new starlink sat 2.0 coming next year will apparently support services for T Mobile's current cell devices (no upgrade or special phones needed)
They basically say you will be able to send texts and emails from anywhere anytime as long as you have clear skies. Could be a real game changer.. They said its not really intended for voice calls (although you probably can) and it's not intended to replace terrestrial cell towers. But for places where there is zero service, starting sometime next year you should still be able to phone home anytime. (I realize this could be a very bad thing for some people) but I think its pretty cool. A game changer if you will. Sounds infinitely better than those little GPS emergency beacon/tracker doohickey's
might even be a solid extra tool in the survival /preparedness minded folk.

Yeah. Don't worry! They can do that anyway. Don't think for a second the gov doesn't already have these special antenna's they are developing already on their spy sat's/gps sat's.

Also it sounds like SpaceX is making a new fairing for the falcon rockets to increase payload size to make the 2.0's happen sooner rather than later. They are hedging their success of the starship to be able to take these sat's to orbit so it sounds like they are pretty intent on making this happen.

Yeah.. They touched on this on the full debut, I honestly didn't watch the highlights video I posted since I watched the full thing.

Elon said they are developing special antenna's which are like big rabbit ears (I believe he called them) and said they are super sensitive and "its working in a lab so they are confident it will work when deployed" but yeah someone asked that exact same question. He also said basically they would only need about one satellite to provide this service to the whole of the US. so I found that pretty incredible as well.

I was also very surprised to hear both the t mobile rep and Elon remarked they want other cell providers to come join them which I found really odd. Since aren't they competition? But I guess this could be coming to other carriers as well.. You can be as soon as they see T-Mobile's market shares climbing they will scratch and claw to get a piece of that action.

On the bright side it will open up a whole new device development, create jobs and market share soon enough.

A slim line device that adheres to the back of your phone to block satellite transmissions. Highly popular with outdoor enthusiasts who just want to get away and enjoy the solitude of nature. It's called the, "Satellite Tracking Finder Uninstaller."

(Think about it for a sec. I'll wait.)
;)

Well crud. This just makes it infinitely easier for gov to track people via their cell phone
Only if the phone is turned on and location is turned on. If you want to be sure of privacy, take the battery out of the phone.

The gov can already do this, even with GPS turned off; they can know your location within a few hundred yards or less by triangulation of cell towers. If you have WiFi turned on, even closer if there is WiFi nearby.

In remote areas with no cell/WiFi where the SL/TM partnership is trying to cover, the gov could see your exact location if you have GPS turned on - maybe. Otherwise, if you are using the satellite cell, it just knows you are within the "cell" - probably - and the cell is like 20 miles wide.

I am thinking the satellite won't know where you are until you actually try to send a text. The way I understand it (cell phone experts correct me if I am wrong), to conserve battery power, the TX in a cell phone is on very low power when you are not sending out any data. Initially it will connect to a tower yes? But thereafter be on low power.

I was also very surprised to hear both the t mobile rep and Elon remarked they want other cell providers to come join them which I found really odd. Since aren't they competition? But I guess this could be coming to other carriers as well.. You can be as soon as they see T-Mobile's market shares climbing they will scratch and claw to get a piece of that action.
Roaming agreements help both parties.

On the bright side it will open up a whole new device development, create jobs and market share soon enough.

A slim line device that adheres to the back of your phone to block satellite transmissions. Highly popular with outdoor enthusiasts who just want to get away and enjoy the solitude of nature. It's called the, "Satellite Tracking Finder Uninstaller."

(Think about it for a sec. I'll wait.)
;)

PrincePhysics.com-Block-any-network-Method-1-768x249.jpg

Only if the phone is turned on and location is turned on. If you want to be sure of privacy, take the battery out of the phone.
If the phone is the type where battery can easily be removed without specialized tools.

The gov can already do this, even with GPS turned off; they can know your location within a few hundred yards or less by triangulation of cell towers. If you have WiFi turned on, even closer if there is WiFi nearby.
Good point. I don't usually have gps/location and wifi turned on.

In remote areas with no cell/WiFi where the SL/TM partnership is trying to cover, the gov could see your exact location if you have GPS turned on - maybe. Otherwise, if you are using the satellite cell, it just knows you are within the "cell" - probably - and the cell is like 20 miles wide.

I am thinking the satellite won't know where you are until you actually try to send a text. The way I understand it (cell phone experts correct me if I am wrong), to conserve battery power, the TX in a cell phone is on very low power when you are not sending out any data. Initially it will connect to a tower yes? But thereafter be on low power.

It's called the off button
On most newer phones, the battery isn't removable and your phone doesn't need to be on for anyone with Pegasus/Pegasus 2 software to have full access.

On most newer phones, the battery isn't removable and your phone doesn't need to be on for anyone with Pegasus/Pegasus 2 software to have full access.
Probably true - if they have the s/w installed. I doubt it is installed on everybody's phone though.

And yes, I think my last two phones cannot easily have the battery removed.

But then there are the RFID envelopes/et. al. you can get to put your phone in.

Personally, I am not too worried about this issue. If I ever get to the point where I am concerned about the gov knowing where I am, I will leave the phone behind.

Last Edited:
Probably true - if they have the s/w installed. I doubt it is installed on everybody's phone though.

And yes, I think my last two phones cannot easily have the battery removed.

But then there are the RFID envelopes/et. al. you can get to put your phone in.

Personally, I am not too worried about this issue. If I ever get to the point where I am concerned about the gov knowing where I am, I will leave the phone behind.
For sure

Some newer phones the battery is not easily removed anymore. For your convenience, sir.

If they get it to work, it will be a couple of years...

Need to get new Starlink birds into orbit with larger antennas. I think these are version 2 satellites.

Need to beta test, which probably means a limited-coverage area where they put birds into stationary orbit. I assume they'll put somewhere in Alaska or perhaps a national park such as Glacier or Yellowstone.

T-Mobile needs to get some additional firms to come along for the ride (e.g. sending a text message).

FCC approval.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR