JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So lately I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos and slowly learning how to program for FRS/GMRS channels. I'm learning a surprising amount and the Baofengs will be a good asset for the emergency kit.
Manually programming the Baofengs is a bit frustrating and takes patience. The biggest problem is the small display making it hard see what you are doing. Also there is a known 'glitch' with the UV-5rs (and others possibly) where there is a extra keystroke required to save a freq to a channel and this is NOT in the manual - which is all but useless anyway. Once however you get it 'down' programming them manually it is easy and goes fast.

With regard to any radios being used for emergencies I believe it's possible but would require some planning, coordination and practice before it would be effective, especially if one were only going to use MURS/FRS frequencies. It would probably be easier if a group of friends, family etc. were all equipped similarly with radios programmed equally and to use them regularly to contact one another. This however is complicated with the limiting factors of power output and typically poor antennas most handhelds come with and with this distance is severely limited.

MURS/FRS also is not that popular. I have had my scanner on sometimes for several hours scanning MURS/FRS (and this with a good antenna) and only occasionally might hear a mike keyed or a quick transmission. I suspect in more populated areas it might be more popular but I have no experience with that.

'Licensed' HAM radio (if only Technician level) would be much more viable for emergency use due to essentially no power or antenna limitations (well up to 1500 watts but that's rarely used). The 2 meter frequencies are very popular and with the help of directed and linked repeaters range is dramatically much greater and can be measured in 'states' and not jsut miles. Heck KruelJ and I have talked a couple times now and we are approx. 150 miles apart. I also routinely talk to people in WA, OR and several other states. Licensed 'HAM' operation takes a little more dedication but it is easily obtained with a small expense. Also 'Simplex' operation with HAM radio (essentially radio to radio communication - no repeaters) is much greater as well.

I think a lot of people equate 'civilian' radio use with that of say commercial use by first responders, Fire, Med. LEO etc. but there is a big difference in that they are utilizing designated frequencies and equipment designed specifically for their needs.

TV and movies don't help either especially when a scene will show some random person (or multiples) talking on some kind of handhelds to first responders , or someone in a plane etc. Reality is while this is possible ( and only legal under certain circumstances) it would require an incredible amount of coordination ensuring frequencies are programmed correctly - and that includes all potential 'ancillary' settings a particular frequency might require as well.

Like I said before I am no expert but coupling my past experience with that of my new 'experience' as a licensed 'HAM' operator and I am learning a lot and it seems like something new everyday

Last Edited:
A data point for those with the inexpensive Baofeng radios (I have them too).

If you use an external mic with the radio, the mic jacks inside the radio are mediocre. I had a Baofeng radio with the mic plugged into it for a while, and then the audio went bad on the radio. It seems the design is weak.

I won't be using an external mic with the Baofeng radios anymore.
Not at all doubting your experience, yet mine has been different and more positive with regards to the use of an external mic/speaker.

I've been using the UV 82 for at least 8 years (perhaps there is a difference in that model) without any loss of functionality with external devices. I have 5 of this type and have used at least 3 extensively for CERT and other disaster response work. As well as for communication while camping in remote areas.

I always use an external mic with a separate ear piece or a throat mic with an ear piece and have not had that part of the radio fail (yet).

I do have 2 UV 5Rs, but have not really used them. I will be interested to see if the mic/speaker jack is as durable as the UV 82.

But that's just my experience.

A good read if you're considering GMRS.

That NotARubicon guy is not quite accurate with most of that vid.

He mentions he is NOT a licensed HAM so why is he even lambasting HAMs ?

As a new Ham operator I have found the HAM community to be very helpful, friendly and hardly overbearing. Yes they do want to adhere to certain traditional 'protocols' but its hardly as draconic as this guy makes it out to be.

And while there are some 'long term' HAM operators who tend to be a little vociferous when it come to some things most are wiling to take the time to explain things to newbees to bring them 'up to speed' on anything they need help with.

Like I said before I am sure FRS/GMRS might be helpful but it would still take coordination and practice to use it effectively within a group. Reality being what it is even at the 2 meter level HAM has vastly more practicality as an emergency communications system. And even with a $30 Baofeng one can effectively use the 2 meter band due to no limitations on antenna designs - and FRS/GMRS as well.

Last Edited:
That NotARubicon guy is not quite accurate with most of that vid.

He mentions he is NOT a licensed HAM so why is he even lambasting HAMs ?
This guy is a douche. Sorry. He hates ham operators. He's invented the term, "sad ham" just for some excuse to dish crap on people who have corrected him on bad info in the past. He is not a licensed amateur radio operator.

All the guys I know would bend over backwards to help newcomers out.

He hates ham operators.
Probably couldn't pass his Tech test and PO'd at the HAM community!

I listened to the rest of the vid and he tries to clarify what he means by a 'sad HAM' - he says he doesn't 'bash ham radio operators' He says the 'sad HAMs' he bashes are members of HAM forums, FB groups , basement types and then says you 'rarely find a sad HAM in person' He still sounds pretty critical of HAMS in general however.

Last Edited:
Probably couldn't pass his Tech test and PO'd at the HAM community!

I listened to the rest of the vid and he tries to clarify what he means by a 'sad HAM' - he says he doesn't 'bash ham radio operators' He says the 'sad HAMs' he bashes are members of HAM forums, FB groups , basement types and then says you 'rarely find a sad HAM in person' He still sounds pretty critical of HAMS in general however.
Don't get me wrong - I get a lot from him myself... and I appreciate the info he brings - and I agree there are trolls everywhere... but he only gives it energy by addressing it. Much less dedicate a segment of nearly every show on the issue. :s0084:

He got checked in the past on bad info... (the old... "Is a Baofeng legal?" / FCC issues and details in the past.) Been like a dog with a bone ever since...

:s0092:

IF he were a licensed HAM I might be able to accept some of what he says but not being one he really has no right to criticise any licensed HAM - and if the internet is all he basis his judgement on the 'sad HAMs' as he calls them, well, how does he even know if some of these people are even licensed themselves?

Kind of like on this forum there are occasionally trolls who respond to questions or offer information and it's quite obvious they know nothing about the subject matter. They just post to see themselves on the forum and stir the pot.

My point is if ya ain't qualified to talk about something - then don't.

Observation. I'm hearing a lot more people testing and checking in on some Seattle-area GMRS repeaters. I assume more people are getting the free, no-test, family-based GMRS license and buying some radio gear.

I thought unlicensed was able to legally transmit in an emergency. Regardless, in an emergency zero fs given and do what you have to do. I think the big limitation would be how to connect to a repeater for a noob.

I thought unlicensed was able to legally transmit in an emergency. Regardless, in an emergency zero fs given and do what you have to do. I think the big limitation would be how to connect to a repeater for a noob.
I'm not sure. A critical question that you eluded to though: How will one gain experience so they can effectively use a radio in an emergency or SHTF?

Examples:
  • Know what a pre-programmed memory channel represents. Simplex? Duplex to a repeater? Which repeater and is one in range of it?
  • If not a typical snub or whip antenna (typically seen on a handheld transceiver), know how to deploy and use the antenna.

Technically this is correct however if you owned licensed based radio equipment and were unlicensed I think you would be sorely disappointed - for one you may never experience a disaster with which to be able to use it, AND ATC brings up a very good point in that:
How will one gain experience so they can effectively use a radio in an emergency or SHTF?
Amatuer radio, such as 2 meter for example, is not something you just flip on and pick a channel such as CB is.

As ATC said there are many things to learn and one has to use it regularly to understand the complexities of it such as the various setting and functions.

Another consideration is who are you planning on talking to? Under normal circumstances most 'hams' get to know people on specific 'networks'. I talk to people daily on the various repeaters I am programmed to, and specifically two which are linked such as the HIDARG and PEAKnet systems, and in the just under a year I have been involved I have gotten to know a lot of people, and some on a personal level. For emergency use however unless you have a dedicated group who are all equipped similarly, talk routinely and maintain their equipment amature radio will have little use in an emergency for the inexperienced user.

Also having the correct antenna for the frequency is of paramount importance. A Baofeng handheld with it's stock 6" 'rubber ducky' is all but useless except in very close proximity to other users or repeaters. However with a proper antenna range is expanded dramatically and the pic below shows an 'experimental' antenna I made for my Baofeng and I can hit a repeater with it about 17 miles from me. I made a ground plane dipole for my base unit and will soon be pushing it up higher.

Bottom line is amature radio takes a certian amount of dedication and consistent use to keep up with it and maintain proficiency.

IMG_2788[1].JPG

Another way to look at it:

You probably train with your gun(s) - even if just going to the range on occasion. You want to be proficient with their use. Amateur Radio is no different.

You probably train with your gun(s) - even if just going to the range on occasion. You want to be proficient with their use. Amateur Radio is no different.
Good analogy.

A good example is when it comes to programming certain radios - specifically Baofengs. While they can be computer programmed fairly easily, 'manually' programming allows one to learn the idiosyncrasies of it, and streamline the channels and modes for easier use - but manually programming them is frustrating and in the case of Baofeng there are a couple of known 'glitches' that unless you either discover on your own, or find in a instructional video - you almost want to chuck it into the air when someone says 'Pull' !

Another way to look at it:

Same goes for first aid kits, trauma kits, "survival" kits, defibrillators, tire jacks, etc... Many people have them but have no idea how to use them in an emergency situation.

I have to start reading this thread! I have spent a ton of time learning about other stuff and have slacked on comms! So my long term goal is to get my licenses, maybe put together a repeater and immerse myself in the world of ham

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top