JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey this stuff is GREAT info, but I'm dumber than a stump as far as what I would need to get by these days. Where I'm at I'm surrounded by 460 acres of timber. I'd like to have a short wave system whereby I can find out WTF is going on, really. If you experts had a GRAND to spend on a system that would get me there, please, please let me know where I need to go.
I know about how to supply my Castle for armament, but I'm a little short on knowledge on how and when they're coming. What all would you recommend to start with, as far as reliable information reception would entail. And I appreciate all professional advice as can be provided, and thanks in advance.
I'm not sure it's as easy as "Buy that one" wham done. If you want to listen in and not get licensed, maybe buy a big shortwave radio..like a Tecsun 880. For ham, I'd do some research and once I figured out what I wanted, go with Josh Hashkonzis advice, he does a weekly podcast/youtube livestream that is pretty good and he has some excellent videos put on on the subject.
I suspect he'd say Icom 7300 if you only had one to buy but it's a bit over a grand and it's a base station, so it won't help you if you're out in your car. Be aware that there are radically differing categories: HT's (Handy Talkies, just like your old kids walkie talkies), mobile devices (for your vehicle), like the old CB radios for cars, and base stations (imagine your old big radio amp plopped down in the middle of the room). Furthermore, they have a major subset called Summits On The Air that folks carry mobile radios in backpacks out into the woods that are a bit of HT and Mobile. https://www.sota.org.uk/ In that arena, the Elecraft KX3 is a big player. https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=10271. If you buy an Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood brand you're likely doing good as they are the major players with multiple offerings in each category.

You'll have to search his stuff but on one of his videos he breaks those 3 areas down on what his choices would be for each one. If you live near a receiver, you might be able to pickup a fella in New York talking to a fella in New Orleans on a $25 Baofeng 5RA. Getting your ham license (all 3 are super easy to get) and meeting local hams would be the very best guidance you can get. I know that doesn't answer your question, but it's still solid advice. There are a lot of choices.

Found it, didn't preview it and it's a year old. Titled "what Ham Radio should I buy".
Underneath the video is an index so you can focus in. Start at 12min in.

16:03 What to expect + introduction to recommendations start here
18:50 Inexpensive HTs Under $100
24:30 Mid Tier HTs ($100-$250)
28:38 High End HTs ($250-350+)
37:25 Mobile Units
38:00 Inexpensive Mobile ($200)
40:02 Mid Tier Mobile ($200-$300)
43:20 High End Mobile ($400)
48:12 Introduction to base stations
49:05 Inexpensive Base Stations ($700)
52:21 Mid Tier Mobile Base Stations ($900)
55:06 Portable HF Stations ($400-$1200)
59:23 Mid-Tier Base Stations ($1200)
1:02:52 High End Base Stations ($2000)
1:11:15 Inexpensive Receivers ($50)
1:12:45 Mid Tier Receiver ($150)
1:14:50 High End Base Station Receivers ($150)
1:15:53 Questions Answered√

Hope that helps you get some clarity. Take care!

Last Edited:
I scored an older (but works well) Heathkit IP-2715 power supply today!

I can now move my HF & 2 meter radios out of my shop and inside the house!

The lid is off so I can blow out about 40 years of dust!

IMG_2809[2].JPG

Hey this stuff is GREAT info, but I'm dumber than a stump as far as what I would need to get by these days. Where I'm at I'm surrounded by 460 acres of timber. I'd like to have a short wave system whereby I can find out WTF is going on, really. If you experts had a GRAND to spend on a system that would get me there, please, please let me know where I need to go.
I know about how to supply my Castle for armament, but I'm a little short on knowledge on how and when they're coming. What all would you recommend to start with, as far as reliable information reception would entail. And I appreciate all professional advice as can be provided, and thanks in advance.
As others have said, viewing some of the Ham Radio Crash Course YouTube visas can provide a good primer. It would be wise to study for and get a ham radio license at the General level..this would allow you to transmit and practice using th e radio. radio

Equipment wise Icom IC-7300 ($1100ish) or Yaesu FT-891 ($700ish and more portable) are popular choices for ham radios. Buying used also opens up other possibilities. However a major factor in what and how well you can hear will be the type of antenna you can use. In general, height above ground is your friend here (for long distance communications at least) and need not be real expensive. There are numerous options, but a dipole antenna 30-70 feet up in the air is rarely the wrong choice.

However a major factor in what and how well you can hear will be the type of antenna you can use.
This is true but antenna design and height are typically more important when TRANSMITTING.

I can listen in on my HF radio (no General ticket yet) and hear transmissions from all over the world on nothing more than about a 40' length of bell wire tied off to a tree and run into my shop through a window.

A proper antenna would no doubt result in better reception but for just listening you can get by with something pretty basic.

Finally finished my 2 meter ground plane antenna.

It it temporarily on a 20 stick of PVC but it works incredibly well. I am able to access the PeakNet repeater and have made contact with several around Oregon and other states as well.

IMG_2815.JPG

FYI these FRS/GMRS radios are on sale at Costco until Monday, November 29. The price might be cheaper in the warehouse since you're not paying for shipping (Costco tends to pad the online price...).

Several neighbors have similar, and everyone would come up on a particular channel if a quake or things got stupid. Range perhaps a solid 1/2 mile.

I have a couple of the old Talk-A-Bout 200 model. They're actually really good FRS radios, and even at 20+ years old, they still have a recently verified 3-mile range along LOS from my home to my millionaire friend's home up on the hill. Transmitted and received transmissions clear as day. But those are my old ones. Dunno how well these new ones will work, but I think they're worth a shot.

Last Edited:
A data point for those with the inexpensive Baofeng radios (I have them too).

If you use an external mic with the radio, the mic jacks inside the radio are mediocre. I had a Baofeng radio with the mic plugged into it for a while, and then the audio went bad on the radio. It seems the design is weak.

I won't be using an external mic with the Baofeng radios anymore.

@sobo yup it was a BF-F8HP that went Tango Uniform due to the external mic (cheap jacks in the BF-F8HP).
Appreciate the heads up. Will not be using any external mics on my pair of F8HP, then. :s0155:
Probably ought to stay away from using the external speaker (SP) jack, too... 🤔

I know the Baofengs are not that cheap.
Well, the UV-5Rs are under $30 right now , and the next step up is the BF-F8+ is like $39 and both are excellent entry level radios but you have to be willing to experiment with them, and of course get at least a technician license to get the most out of them, especially in the 2 meter and .75 meter frequencies.

I made a 'portable' antenna for my 5R out of a peice of 10 ga copper wire wrapped around a 3/8 dowel and soldered it to a PL259 connector and with the proper adapter connected it to my 5R. With the dowel removed and slowly 'stretching' out my spring-shaped antenna to get the 'gain' it needed to about 19" I am getting close to a 1.5 SWR match and can hit the local repeaters easily and talk on simplex out to several miles.

IMG_2788[1].JPG

IMG_2788[1].JPG

Last Edited:
So I'm one of those morons who jumped into some Baofengs without much research; but I'm actually kind of glad I just did it. Picked up a couple of UV-5Rs and a UV-82 off of Amazon a little over a year ago.

So lately I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos and slowly learning how to program for FRS/GMRS channels. I'm learning a surprising amount and the Baofengs will be a good asset for the emergency kit.

Thanks everyone for all input on this thread, it's been of interest and a help.

@USMC-03 consider using the free software CHIRP. You'll also need to buy a cable so your computer can connect with the Baofeng radios. It is much easier to program channels then.

If desired, send me a private message with your email address, and I'll send you a .CSV file with pre-programmed memory channels for FRS, GMRS, MURS, and NOAA Weather. You open the .CSV file into CHIRP and upload to each radio.

A nifty video of connecting a Baofeng radio to a tablet, and using software to send digital messages.

...but as I rewatched this video this morning I noticed the use of the cable and external mic jacks. After my recent experience of the Baofeng going Tango Uniform due to cheap jacks, I would suggest anyone planning to do this have spare Baofeng radios available to them.

@USMC-03 consider using the free software CHIRP. You'll also need to buy a cable so your computer can connect with the Baofeng radios. It is much easier to program channels then.

If desired, send me a private message with your email address, and I'll send you a .CSV file with pre-programmed memory channels for FRS, GMRS, MURS, and NOAA Weather. You open the .CSV file into CHIRP and upload to each radio.
Thanks for the offer. I've been hearing about CHIRP; is there a version for Mac? I'll definitely check out the video on the tablet connection, interesting.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top