JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does Smith and Wesson even sell the 500 without a muzzle brake anymore? Mine is an early model, like the first year and only has a comp on it. I'd think a good brake would greatly reduce the chance of this.

Does Smith and Wesson even sell the 500 without a muzzle brake anymore? Mine is an early model, like the first year and only has a comp on it. I'd think a good brake would greatly reduce the chance of this.
The brake won't reduce the chance of firing a second shot in my opinion, as you'll still have rearward recoil, but it might reduce the chance of it rotating far enough to shoot over the berm or possibly shoot yourself.

Last Edited:
@kmk1012

I stand corrected, and I owe you an apology regarding hammer bounce. You were correct, this does appear to be a real and rather common phenomenon, but generally harmless.

From my brief research, it sounds like most revolvers bounce back a little, which makes sense given that the primer or entire cartridge would recoil rearward with enough force to push the hammer back some. One person mentioned seeing what appeared to be a second strike on an already fired primer, but I'm still skeptical that it would have enough force to set off a fresh primer with just a bounce. Additionally, with the trigger held firmly rearward, the cylinder stop should prevent the cylinder from rotating, leaving the hammer to fall again on a dead primer if it did bounce.

However, I did read one interesting anecdotal account that with S&W's design, recoil can cause the cylinder stop to stay forward, occasionally allowing the cylinder to rotate backwards under recoil! It sounds like the Model 29 occasionally had this problem, and could rotate back far enough to lock on the previous cylinder, making your next trigger pull fall on the cartridge you had just previously fired. I'm very glad I read this, as it finally explains something that has baffled me for years, as I had this happen once on a .357 Magnum. I had no clue how it happened until now.

Even with the possibility of the .500 S&W cylinder rotating backwards, I still doubt that the hammer would have enough inertia from a bounce to set off a primer, but it's possible.

My new theory is even simpler. It's a combination of hammer bounce (without reverse rotation) combined with my previous recoil theory.

If the gun recoils enough to reset the trigger as I surmise, having the hammer partially bounce back at the same time just makes the double action trigger pull that much easier.

Here's the link to the comment I found, so you can read it for yourself:
Hammer bounce

I'll be the one to say it. That gun is stupid. Anything with that level of recoil should be shot with a stock attached and shouldered.

I also don't believe the hammer knock back issue one bit, at least not for the majority of these cases, the recoil is causing the shooting to grip on for dear life and in that micro moment, the shooter can't even discern they they pulled the trigger again, putting one into the ceiling. This happens with smaller calibers also with people who are shooting bigger guns than they are prepared for. Worked in a gun range for 6 months, saw it with .357 and .44

I'll be the one to say it. That gun is stupid. Anything with that level of recoil should be shot with a stock attached and shouldered.

I also don't believe the hammer knock back issue one bit, at least not for the majority of these cases, the recoil is causing the shooting to grip on for dear life and in that micro moment, the shooter can't even discern they they pulled the trigger again, putting one into the ceiling. This happens with smaller calibers also with people who are shooting bigger guns than they are prepared for. Worked in a gun range for 6 months, saw it with .357 and .44
It's funny, I never have this problem with my .22 revolvers... :p

I'm really REALLY interested to see what a 700gr .50 revolver bullet looks like that ISN'T like the one shot in a Ma Deuce.
It's funny, they're not even shaped like bullets, but more like wooden barrels! :s0140:

download (12).jpeg download (13).jpeg

The brake won't reduce the chance of firing a second shot in my opinion, as you'll still have rearward recoil, but it might reduce the chance of it rotating far enough to shoot over the berm or possibly shoot yourself.
Is this why a properly designed brake on a 7lb 338 Lapua magnum will kick less than a 10lb one without? lol

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top