JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"M1 Grand" says it all.

Right away the pictures didn't look right. The finish isn't HRA original, and it doesn't look like GI rework. The stock doesn't look GI; actually it looks too nice. The op rod track looks very rough so right away, I'm thinking welded receiver.

Then I read his item description. Where at the bottom he states that it's a "re-welded" receiver.

In the 1950's through 1980's, there was a thriving cottage industry in southern California of various companies that were assembling bogus WW2 American "surplus" military rifles and spin-offs. Sometimes, they would even put their own company name on the receiver heel. I believe the seller states that this rifle came out of southern California, so makes sense. It may have floated around many a Calif. gun show over the years before it made its way to So. Dakota. Actually, before the 1968 GCA, they sold these built-up parts guns all over by mail order. The thing about these guns is, people who know anything about M1 Rifles don't want anything to do with them. The owner of one must find a greater fool to get rid of it to. Who may be happy enough with his purchase until he becomes educated as to what he really has. Then the process starts over again, that of finding the next greater fool.

The seller mentions something about an original two groove barrel, I didn't know M1 Rifles ever had two groove barrels from the factory, especially not HRA's. This is a red flag. Because some of these California bogus gun fabricators were known to make their own when they ran out of the real thing. Out of worn-out M1 Rifle barrel receiver stubs mated to a cut off Springfield 03 or 03A3 replacement barrel. The latter of which at one time were cheap and common.

The Garand never had a 2 groove barrel. If the barrel was shot out with corrosive ammo what about the
gas system? Op rods and gas cylinders are getting very hard to find and exspensive.
Re weld receivers are also not safe to shoot. The heat treating of the receiver is fouled up in a re-weld.
You never know when it could potentially do a 'Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly". Here on NW Firearms
someone was selling some reweld Garand receivers. They sold fast! If you want a genuine M1 Garand
buy one that has paper work from the CMP or DCM.

In 1968, when I was a know-nothing, I bought a contrived M1 Rifle derivative. It was made by Alpine Industries (one of the Calif. assemblers). It was rechambered in 7.62mm NATO, and the action was reworked to take an M14 magazine. The normal M1 Rifle forward handguard had been eliminated and the barrel was shortened by a corresponding amount. A bogus flash suppressor was added. So it had a kind of M14 look. Alpine Industries called it their M11. The receiver was welded; the heel said Springfield Armory and it had a WW2 serial number. It was a pretty good welding job, there weren't the sometimes seen obvious tool and welding marks.

At the time, the M14 Rifle was still in use in the US Army and I found that to be a good source of magazines for this rifle. I had hundreds of rounds of GI ammo for it, and I fired off lots of them. So, the rifle receiver never failed during the time I had it what with fairly heavy use. However, by their nature, catastrophic failures have a way of being sudden. I don't know if there are stats on welded receiver blow-ups. It's probably not all that many. But why fool with them?

Before information became very cheaply had via the internet, knowledge was more dearly acquired. Like buying a crappy rifle before you'd gotten the word in person that is was crappy.

I'd put in a bit for a few hundred. Its an operational Garand clone. Not as good as a genuine product, but still good for someone who wants something to play with. But no way I am starting the bidding at 1200.

My first M1, if you can call it that, I bought in the late 1980's from a local guy. He had a small gun shop in the back of his hobby/collectible shop, and fancied himself a gunsmith. To be honest I don't know if he was a retired gunsmith or just a tinkerer. He was a good guy, all in all.

The rifle wasn't right, but I was young and dumb. I got it home and started looking at it carefully. It had a deep, rich bluing (wrong), really shiny stock, and the top of the receiver had been machined off, drilled and tapped for the peep sight screwed to it (why?). When I took it apart, I noticed welding on the underside of the top of the receiver, in front of and underneath the rear sight (again, why?). I knew something was seriously not right with the gun, so I took it back. He gave me my money back, but was not happy about it. "There's nothing wrong with that rifle!" he huffed.

I didn't acquire another M1 until the early 2000's, and then it was from the CMP. Now I have, uh, more than one, all from the CMP.

Now I have, uh, more than one, all from the CMP.
I got my first "real" M1 Rifle from the old DCM program. Limit one per lifetime. Later, when the Congress spun the program off into the CMP, the lifetime limit went away. At one time, I had something like 12 to 14 of them. When they could be bought at relatively reasonable prices. Years later when I decided to downsize, I slowly let them go until I got down to two pieces. One in .30-06 and another in .308 Win. I figure that's enough to last me out.

Most of mine came from the CMP but I did buy a few privately. Ones that I could look at before forking over the money. CMP rifles always involved some element of luck of the draw. I didn't live anywhere close enough to go to their showroom and hand pick. My philosophy was, that if a private purchase rifle might be a bit more expensive, it was worth it for the upfront look-over. Over time, CMP starting splitting up the grades more finely so it wasn't quite as chancy. And raised prices.

At one time, CMP would allow a purchaser to use an agent to hand select a rifle from their retail store. But they ended that after a while. About the time non-insiders found out about it.

Some of the better rifles I got from CMP came from the batch of about 60-some thousand that were the last of those kept in US Army storage. Most of those were clean rifles that had seen little or moderate use or more likely, rifles that had been rebuilt and then placed back in storage years earlier. I'm thinking this was around 2013-14, maybe. As opposed to batches of military assistance returns. Well-used Danish or black oxide finished Greek, for example.

The rifle I got from DCM in 1985 was a lower grade than any I later got from CMP. It was from a batch that was turned in en masse by ROTC units. It had been very well used. A coworker of mine and I sent for them at the same time. He got a nicely rebuilt IHC with new barrel. Luck of the draw. The army had a broad serviceability inspection standard that amounted to go or no go, without much criteria about certain types of wear.

My first Garand is welded, didn't know any better.
Consider it the cost of a education.
I wound not sell the welded one to any other fool,
without telling them. But it is worth more in parts
than I paid for It.
My next two came from the CMP.

Some of my best auction site buys have been by misspelling what i was looking for. It only takes one wrong letter to take it off the market if someone is searching for it spelled correctly. Ruger, rugor, rugar, etc.....

My only M1 came from the CMP and late enough that the only good ones were $1000, so that's what I bought. It is absolutely pristine and I'm sure it had never been fired outside of the factory until I shot it. It is one of the last firearms I'd ever sell.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top