JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I let a friend shoot my new (to me) S&W 500 magnum today and he pulled the trigger once and it doubled, fired twice! Pretty scary.

Not the first time this caliber has doubled up on shots. Common if you aren't ready for the recoil.

Not a gun I would ever own. I remember reading a story of two brothers going out and one accidentally shot himself in the head.

Allowing your friend to shoot that gun if he was inexperienced is incredibly risky, and maybe even negligent. Google shows quite a lot of articles to links of the accidental 2nd shot phenomena.

You could've had a dead friend on your hands, for what? Some "ooh's, and aah's"? Not worth it to me.

I am glad you posted this experience so that others would learn of this.

Maybe loading only every other, instead of every one would be okay.

Recoil managment is a very serious skill that comes with experience. Like putting an uzi in some young girls hands who never has shot a firearm like that, is completely negligent.

You can't unring a bell. Think before you let newbies shoot such powerful firearms. You put yourself, your friend, and even others around you in serious danger. I'm so glad I wasn't around when this happened.

Not a gun I would ever own. I remember reading a story of two brothers going out and one accidentally shot himself in the head.

Allowing your friend to shoot that gun if he was inexperienced is incredibly risky, and maybe even negligent. Google shows quite a lot of articles to links of the accidental 2nd shot phenomena.

You could've had a dead friend on your hands, for what? Some "ooh's, and aah's"? Not worth it to me.

I am glad you posted this experience so that others would learn of this.
This gentleman has been around firearms as long as I have. As far as being negligent I'd have to disagree a bit. A revolver doubling isint something people as a whole really even believe can happen. Now that I'm aware it can happen and still allow people to shoot it loaded up all the way, that would be negligent.

I'll be the one to say it. That gun is stupid. Anything with that level of recoil should be shot with a stock attached and shouldered.

I also don't believe the hammer knock back issue one bit, at least not for the majority of these cases, the recoil is causing the shooting to grip on for dear life and in that micro moment, the shooter can't even discern they they pulled the trigger again, putting one into the ceiling. This happens with smaller calibers also with people who are shooting bigger guns than they are prepared for. Worked in a gun range for 6 months, saw it with .357 and .44
Where do you draw the line though? I like my .454 casull, which many would view as too large and .357 is not even a consideration in my revolvers. I have not shot a .500 S&W. As I cannot touch rubber, I don't think I want to touch off much larger than the 454.

This gentleman has been around firearms as long as I have. As far as being negligent I'd have to disagree a bit. A revolver doubling isint something people as a whole really even believe can happen. Now that I'm aware it can happen and still allow people to shoot it loaded up all the way, that would be negligent.

When people know better, they usually do better. I'm glad you aren't going to load it to the hilt like that again.

That being said, I'm not gonna argue negligence. I still believe it to be seriously negligent what you did and what he did. If he's been around guns all his life, he shares the blame. He should've known better himself.

I'm very appreciative that you posted. This is a learning lesson that probably saved a life or two down the road. All thanks to your story.

Where do you draw the line though? I like my .454 casull, which many would view as too large and .357 is not even a consideration in my revolvers. I have not shot a .500 S&W. As I cannot touch rubber, I don't think I want to touch off much larger than the 454.

It's not so much that I can draw the line for everyone it's that the line is drawn by physics for most people in the sense that they're not behemoths who can easily wield a 500 magnum and not be overpowered by the recoil.

It's all relative to the individual shooter. My 140 pound fiancé is adequate and not overpowered by a 9mm, going much more in recoil than that would start to negatively impact her ability to shoot effectively. Compared to mine 3
230 pounds self, shooting the nine or the 10 or the 45 isn't that big of a deal.

If someone can really run a 500 magnum without issue and without the recoil over powering them that's awesome all the more power to them but I haven't ever really seen that.

If someone can really run a 500 magnum without issue and without the recoil over powering them that's awesome all the more power to them but I haven't ever really seen that.

I have a cousin who is such a big monster of a man. He owns this gun and from what he tells me, he can handle it. But he's got some pretty big hands and is probably around 275# of powerlifting muscle.

As for me, an average to a little above average muscle build, I wouldn't own or shoot one loaded to the hilt. Even as a teenager who took one of my friends to shoot my pops Redhawk .44 mag, I knew better than to load the wheel all the way.

That gun has stolen lives in the past. Again, not one I would ever own.

It's not so much that I can draw the line for everyone it's that the line is drawn by physics for most people in the sense that they're not behemoths who can easily wield a 500 magnum and not be overpowered by the recoil.

It's all relative to the individual shooter. My 140 pound fiancé is adequate and not overpowered by a 9mm, going much more in recoil than that would start to negatively impact her ability to shoot effectively. Compared to mine 3
230 pounds self, shooting the nine or the 10 or the 45 isn't that big of a deal.

I heard the same about the 454. (My large revolver and point of reference)

I am a fairly large framed guy and overweight. I was shooting my .45 acp cx4 today. I was noticing the recoil actually seems rougher on the carbine of all things than on most of my 45 pistols. I also have a pretty decent amount of upper body strength.

Up until the other day I had personally fired several dozen loads of varying power and don't think it's so scary that there would be an issue. Other than a sore hand there were no adverse effects. I'm just glad there wasn't a tragic outcome in this and wanted to share for others to be aware.

Up until the other day I had personally fired several dozen loads of varying power and don't think it's so scary that there would be an issue. Other than a sore hand there were no adverse effects. I'm just glad there wasn't a tragic outcome in this and wanted to share for others to be aware.

I'm not kidding when I say I would bet my bottom dollar you saved someone's life down the road with this account of your story. I commend you for being brave to help educate others on this matter. At the risk of getting railed over, you gave your account of what happened, and I am positive you saved someone's life. For that, I am very grateful.

And having said what you did with shooting various powers of varying loads, you trained yourself over that time. You gained valuable experience with every shot you made.

Like that incident that happened with that firing range in Vegas a yr or two ago that killed a man after he was trying very hard to train a young girl how to shoot a fully automatic weapon, sadly cost him his life and more than likely caused serious bad memories for the little girl. I'm glad no one got hurt with respect to your experience with your buddy. Could've really gone the other way.

Upon researching, the recoil causes the hammer to bounce back, rotating the cylinder enough to advance, then because the trigger is still depressed it falls again on a live round.
Sort of like a "bumpstock" which is what your trigger finger is if you let the recoil bounce back. Not sure that would always work on a revolver, though...! :D

Never experienced anything like that with my S&W 460; but I would question the being held too tightly theory. It would seem to make more sense that they were not holding it tightly enough at first, and then grabbed tighter as the first shot began to recoil. I do recall reading about people splitting their thumbs open from these monster revolvers though. Seems they were holding their support hand to far forward, and in front of the cylinder pressure gap! S&W actually quit selling the 460 for a while.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top