Oregon Rifleworks
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
J&B Firearm Sales
Low Price Guns
Gun Deals
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
Landhawk Arms
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Had a Double With My Revolver

OP
kmk1012

kmk1012

Reactions
  • Autobiographer
  • Woke Up Like This
My guess is that your friend fired the first shot in single action with the hammer cocked then quickly fired a double action shot while trying to control the recoil.

Not the first time I have seen or heard of this...
It’s appearantly an issue with these because of the recoil. The hammer bounce back is the cause, it advances the cylinder and falls on the next chamber before the recoil impulse is even over.

Reactions
It’s appearantly an issue with these because of the recoil. The hammer bounce back is the cause, it advances the cylinder and falls on the next chamber before the recoil impulse is even over.
I don't believe hammer bounce back has anything to do with it. In fact, I've never even heard of hammer bounce back.

I have however seen some slow motion videos where they dissected this phenomenon. The second shot is basically nothing more than a double action trigger pull. In fact, it's rather similar to the action of a bumpstock. The weapon recoils rearward, and is then pulled forward into the trigger again.

I personally think it's a matter of improper trigger follow through.

When the gun recoils it pushes directly back into the hand as well as begins to rotate up. If the shooter's grip isn't tight enough and they don't have a very solid follow through on the trigger, the gun recoils back far enough to let the trigger reset even though their finger is still on the trigger.

Considering the massive amount of recoil that is currently trying to rip the gun from their hand, they do they only thing they could in that situation, they do what comes naturally. They clamp their hands down and squeeze harder, attempting to hold on to the bucking pistol. I'm sure you can guess what happens next...

The video that really shows how dangerous the issue can be is the one where the woman almost shoots herself in the head. The pistol rotated upward, she tightened her grip to hold onto it, and the second shot went off almost straight up. I believe it actually rotated more than 90 degrees and almost pointed at her head by the time the second shot went off.

She didn't have enough strength to control the rotational recoil, but she did have enough strength to clamp down on it to keep it from flying out of her hands, inadvertently pulling the trigger a second time in the process.

Honestly, "hammer bounce back" sounds like a lame excuse first used by someone too embarrassed to admit the pistol almost got away from him... :rolleyes:

No offense to you or your friend, OP. I just believe this phenomenon is based entirely on recoil and reflex. If you have found any footage in your search that clearly shows hammer bounce back in action, I will gladly retract my entire statement.

Last edited:
Reactions
My guess is that your friend fired the first shot in single action with the hammer cocked then quickly fired a double action shot while trying to control the recoil.

Not the first time I have seen or heard of this...
Nothing to do with "hammer bounce", just human reflex.
Exactly this. The gun recoils back into the hand far enough to reset the trigger while the shooter's finger is still on it, and that's when reflexes kick in and the shooter holds on for dear life.

OP
kmk1012

kmk1012

Reactions
  • Autobiographer
  • Woke Up Like This
I don't believe hammer bounce back has anything to do with it. In fact, I've never even heard of hammer bounce back.

I have however seen some slow motion videos where they dissected this phenomenon. The second shot is basically nothing more than a double action trigger pull. In fact, it's rather similar to the action of a bumpstock. The weapon recoils rearward, and is then pulled forward into the trigger again.

I personally think it's a matter of improper trigger follow through.

When the gun recoils it pushes directly back into the hand as well as begins to rotate up. If the shooter's grip isn't tight enough and they don't have a very solid follow through on the trigger, the gun recoils back far enough to let the trigger reset even though their finger is still on the trigger.

Considering the massive amount of recoil that is currently trying to rip the gun from their hand, they do they only thing they could in that situation, they do what comes naturally. They clamp their hands down and squeeze harder, attempting to hold on to the bucking pistol. I'm sure you can guess what happens next...

The video that really shows how dangerous the issue can be is the one where the woman almost shoots herself in the head. The pistol rotated upward, she tightened her grip to hold onto it, and the second shot went off almost straight up. I believe it actually rotated more than 90 degrees and almost pointed at her head by the time the second shot went off.

She didn't have enough strength to control the rotational recoil, but she did have enenou strength to clamp down on it to keep it from flying out of her hands, inadvertently pulling the trigger a second time in the process.

Honestly, "hammer bounce back" sounds like a lame excuse first used by someone to embarrassed to admit the pistol almost got away from him... :rolleyes:

No offense to you or your friend, OP. I just believe this phenomenon is based entirely on recoil and reflex. If you have found any footage in your search that clearly shows hammer bounce back in action, I will gladly retract my entire statement.
That was the theory that was in an article I read. Your point is well taken but it could be a series of several factors. I watched a slow mo video of one showing the hammer bounce back a good bit. It made sense at the time but after seeing several other videos it’s more likely that the second shot was a double action fire. It was almost halfway between horizontal and vertical from where he stood.

OP
kmk1012

kmk1012

Reactions
  • Autobiographer
  • Woke Up Like This
That's funny, because we have a crazy guy here that likes to load 600 & 700 grain projectiles in his! :eek:

@FordPrefect, do you happen to have any good videos you can share with us? ;)
My 700 grainers should be here tomorrow or Friday. I guess that I’ll load them single shot if I let anyone shoot it again. Seems like a liability.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun - Pistol April 4th
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun - Rifle April 5th
Cerberus Training Group
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder - April 25-26th
Cerberus Training Group

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Supporting Vendor Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    This is the closest gun close to my house and they have always been super nice. I have bought two guns off them and sold one of mine to them.
    • storminnorm44
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    Went in to pick up some parts for an AR style 10/22 and to start my journey into building an AR by picking up a lower. Staff was super helpful and...
    • Hueco
  • Tri-County Gun Club
    5.00 star(s)
    I've been a member for 6 years, been shooting there (as a guest) for three years before that. I found the Ladies League and was hooked. It's the...
    • PacwestDefense
  • Barkley's Buy-Sell-Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    I have been patronizing this pawn shop for a few years now. Very happy with the deals I find, both firearm and other. Prices for transfers are...
    • trekkerpaul
  • Sharp Shooting Indoor Range & Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    So far I have bought 2 new Sig p938 pistols and a marlin golden 39A from sharp shooting.the staff is very helpfull, nice shooting range,lots of...
    • Xrperry

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS