JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Intratec – Tec-9, Low quality construction, inaccurate, will not reliably feed hollow-point ammunition."

Mine has never had one problem, never FTF, never jammed, not even once regardless of ammo. At the range it is a blast to fire with its extended twist-on barrel extension and long mags. More accurate than just about any 9mm handgun I have fired.

Of course it isn't high end or anything, but it really isn't as bad as people say; at least that is my experience. Since it is apparently only worth about $300 I'll probably never sell/trade mine unless possibly for a Kel-Tec that uses Glock mags. I bet the Tec-9 is more accurate, would be curious to find out.

Because it is a pistol it can be fired at indoor ranges (like a Place to Shoot), unlike the Kel-Tec.

Nice to hear from someone who's had good luck with a tec-9. Mine's basically been an evil looking paper weight most of the time I've owned it, and it's not accurate either.

Haha, I chuckled upon reading this list.

My Father only had one pistol for hiking and for home defense. It was a Phoenix Arms .22 auto. That thing was horrible. Two different safety's, could not release the mag without one safety being on, nor pull back the slide. Plain bad.

Jumping ahead, lets just say I was able to convince him into buying a Walther PK380 instead. Now that is a much better pistol (not the best defense caliber but with full jacketed hollow points its great)

Why don't you suggest a Makarov or Radom P64 to your dad? Either one is a lot less $ than a Walther and 9X18 has a bit more oomph then the .380.
Re: Mosin-Nagant - In the hands of beet-eating semi-illiterate conscripts they worked to run the Krauts out of Stalingrad, which took place under harsher conditions than any of us are likely to see. The Red Army did the Beta-testing and it worked. Also, given the price of ammo it makes a good rifle for full-size ctr fire practice. Russian/Soviet guns are as ugly as a mud fence but they take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

Last Edited:
IMHO I don't think this should be approached from this direction...how about what you WOULD buy for survival guns? Id have to say you'd be hard pressed to find a better lineup for survival than a 10/22 and an 870...maybe a vaquero and a marlin 1894 both in .357? Just my .02 :)

I would add to this list the Raven .25. Someone posted on page 1 that they would include anything Taurus? The PT 99AF and the PT 1911 that I have become intimately familiar with run both very well 'flawless' and they have a lifetime warranty, thats something you dont get from most manufacturers,, and are now made here in the good old USofA.

I would add to this list the Raven .25. Someone posted on page 1 that they would include anything Taurus? The PT 99AF and the PT 1911 that I have become intimately familiar with run both very well 'flawless' and they have a lifetime warranty, thats something you dont get from most manufacturers,, and are now made here in the good old USofA.

Actually, while some of Taurus' smaller guns are put together in the US, neither of the guns you mention were, or are being produced in the USA. I guess I'm different, I want the guy who makes my guns to have a toilet, and I would prefer that he be allowed to freely own guns as well. BTW I have never been denied warranty service on any gun I own that was crafted in the USA, have you?

Actually, while some of Taurus' smaller guns are put together in the US, neither of the guns you mention were, or are being produced in the USA. I guess I'm different, I want the guy who makes my guns to have a toilet, and I would prefer that he be allowed to freely own guns as well. BTW I have never been denied warranty service on any gun I own that was crafted in the USA, have you?

Give that man two gold stars to take home for his refrigerator. Big thumbs up!!!

Guess I'm slow. I thought the OP asked what guns not to buy for Survival. I would have thought any and every firearm for which you are worried about warranty service falls into that category. To my thinking, survival means you don't have the luxury of waiting for return mail service before deploying the weapon.

I won't give my list since it includes 95% of everything that has ever been manufactured, including some of my current holdings. That is just the 'hardware' side. Choice of calibers is also a function for selection and then we enter the 'user zone'.

My belief is that the survival selection is so completely user and scenario dependent that this particular question is unanswerable.

Maybe the quesiton was really "What gun is never an appropriate choice for survival?" But that gets answered with "Any gun that does not actively injure you when deployed is better than nothing, even if just a little."

My $.02, hope it keeps the pot bubbling.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top