JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, my family came out dollar value in pocket and more guns ahead, so I consider it a successfull day. Anyone that believes the trash this organizatoin spews will not care if they have 500 or 600 or 1,000 guns turned in. Their numbers are not important. They are trivial to the total # of guns out there and being purchased. I feel no guilt about participating and using them to come out ahead.

I even participated in their survey while standing in line. They took me down as a statistic, telling them that the value of the guns we were turining in were less than the value of the gift card. I do have "assault weapons" at my home. I heard about their buyback from a gun website, and there is no incentive they could offer to make mine a "gun free home".

Oh, and I told several people I would be using the Freddy's gift cards to buy ammo. I had a few interesting conversations and may have changed a few opinions in line. All in all, I would call it a verry succesfull weekend.

Here is my take on why people bring in their firearms to an event like this.

About 1/3 of the folks showing up really believe that turning in a couple of firearms is going to make a big difference in gun related crime and would probably give them up for free. And no matter what you say or offer in cash will change their minds.

Another 1/3 are there because they want some recompense for their troubles in showing up. Most of the guns they are bringing are junk and they know it.
They don't know factual regulations concerning FTF gun sales and when you try to explain what the truth is, they either don't believe you, or think that they will get in trouble with the law.

The last 1/3 are there for the money, and when the prospect of standing in line for over 2 hours and also when your cash offer is more then double from what is being offered by CFO is presented to them, they gladly take the cash and drive away.

Most people are clueless regarding the laws regulating the sales of firearms in Oregon. They believe that selling a gun to another individual is somehow illegal and the CFO turn in solves their dilemma in getting rid of it without breaking any laws.

Last year, I received a call from an older couple who live near Reed Collage. I had done some home remodeling for them in the past.
They asked me to stop by the next day.
I figured it would be about more work or maybe some warranty repairs.
When I arrived, they were highly agitated and explained that while they were moving some old boxes down in the basement, they found her grampa's WW1 1911 Colt army pistol.
They were afraid to touch it, and since they knew I owned firearms, they called me.
It was in beautiful condition for it's age, wrapped up in an oiled cloth, fully loaded and the army holster was still in decent shape.
I unloaded it and asked them what they were going to do with it, as I would gladly pay them in cash or work on their house for it.
They said they would think it over and that was the last I heard from them about it until a couple of months ago.
They were so concerned that selling it to me was illegal, that five minutes after I left, he drove over to the GunRoom and gave it to them.

that five minutes after I left, he drove over to the GunRoom and gave it to them.

ARG!!!!! That made me cringe almost as bad as when a Dealer i know had to chop saw a dozen German Hk Mp5 police trade ins.

I guess the bright side of the gun buy back program is it keeps the gun manufacturers in business.

They were so concerned that selling it to me was illegal, that five minutes after I left, he drove over to the GunRoom and gave it to them.
Helps explain how that place stays in business. I'm sure they priced it reasonably because that's their style. :s0114:

....then she bent over the fence and said "frisk me"...hmmm :)

Click link -> Gun Grabber's Illegal Gun Show Turn In - YouTube

2wn0orn.jpg

LOL, I was trying to figure out why all the guys here think she's hot.
Right now she is a bit of a bow wow, but she can be fixed up, as you said.

Maybe after she is turned and some fluff and buffing it might work out. Otherwise send back to the factory. I hear customer care is good and she will come back working well. No FTF, FTE, Stovepiping, etc. Sometimes after a few hundred rounds of shooting these things just work out, she just needs some break in time. Anyone have any ammo to take her out to try?

We should really start calling these things cash for clunkers, or cash for clickers. They are really just a form of bailout to the gun industry, only they don't really need one right now.

jbett98.....was this the same model 27 that came in with an SKS from a lady and her two children ? If it is, that was a really ugly scene.

I spoke to her as she came walking in, informing her that she had another option rather than just getting the gift cards. Then a pack descended and surrounded her and her kids like locust. Shouting, pushing... I think I even saw one guy start to froth at the mouth ! .... Something in between a stock market crash and shark week on TV. I firmly believe she was happier with just getting out of the carnage rather than getting whatever money she may have received.
I am not trying to insult anyone who may have been involved in this scene, just calling witness to it, since no mention of it has been made.

Sure anybody there had a right to make their own deals in their own way, but... scenes like that just add to the "goons with guns" stereotype the other side likes to push. A little dignity goes a long way, just sayin.

Here's the pistols I scored.
Also, a couple of nice vintage Winchester 22's (not shown).

.380 Grendel, Un-fired Hi-point 9mm, FIE .22lr Texan and the best for last, a really super nice S&W model 27-2 with shoulder holster.

I few of us hung out down the block just to avoid what ob1 described above with the overly aggressive buyers and media right at the parking lot entrance. Even a block away, good deals were scored and the sellers were treated with respect. I even heard more than one thank you from people wishing to dispose of their firearms, but not wanting to wait 2hrs in the hot sunshine. The buyers around me were very respectful of each other as well. I approached a gentleman who was bringing in a few firearms. The other buyers came down as soon as they saw me talking to the guy, but did not engage him until I was done with him.

jbett98.....was this the same model 27 that came in with an SKS from a lady and her two children ? If it is, that was a really ugly scene.

I spoke to her as she came walking in, informing her that she had another option rather than just getting the gift cards. Then a pack descended and surrounded her and her kids like locust. Shouting, pushing... I think I even saw one guy start to froth at the mouth ! .... Something in between a stock market crash and shark week on TV. I firmly believe she was happier with just getting out of the carnage rather than getting whatever money she may have received.
I am not trying to insult anyone who may have been involved in this scene, just calling witness to it, since no mention of it has been made.

Sure anybody there had a right to make their own deals in their own way, but... scenes like that just add to the "goons with guns" stereotype the other side likes to push. A little dignity goes a long way, just sayin.

I was the last guy to walk up to her. There was one guy who talked her into letting him open the box she was carrying.
Once the box was opened, it started a bidding war on two of the three guns I saw.
There was no pushing or shoving. One guy offered a real low ball price for the model 27 and I informed her that it was worth more and made a substantial higher offer.
He counter bid and I over bid him. She accepted my money at the same time as the guy buying the SKS.
Her last words were " This is great, now I can go Mother's day shopping for myself with way more then the value given in gift cards. Thanks."
I spent the day across the street and was the guy stopping traffic for the elderly trying to get across without getting run over.

Well...I was there, I was the first person already standing there and know what I saw, as apparently so did tunus. I was also there afterwards and spoke with her again. She did mention she felt intimidated by the "alamo" treatment and wasn't even offered a receipt.
That being said, it's good to hear you weren't one of those guys who were using the two-way radios and kept running across 162nd every time somebody showed up, just to nose-in and try to out-bid a buyer.

I was the last guy to walk up to her. There was one guy who talked her into letting him open the box she was carrying.
Once the box was opened, it started a bidding war on two of the three guns I saw.
There was no pushing or shoving. One guy offered a real low ball price for the model 27 and I informed her that it was worth more and made a substantial higher offer.
He counter bid and I over bid him. She accepted my money at the same time as the guy buying the SKS.
Her last words were " This is great, now I can go Mother's day shopping for myself with way more then the value given in gift cards. Thanks."
I spent the day across the street and was the guy stopping traffic for the elderly trying to get across without getting run over.

It did seem like a bit of a feeding frenzy once the lady opened the box. I looked at what she had, saw all the comotion and people shouting numbers at her and decided to back off. It was a little crazy, but not too bad. My family and I tried to stay a little further to the outskirts and away from the groups.

I bet a lot of us talked to eachother out there and didn't realize it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top