JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Noticed that a lot, too. Even hot garbage gets rave reviews now. Just yesterday I was looking up reviews on Magpul's pocket knife to see why it cost $400 an all I got was "limited edition" and "buy it" yeah but.... What am I getting for $400?
Did they mention O light while reviewing it?

Noticed that a lot, too. Even hot garbage gets rave reviews now. Just yesterday I was looking up reviews on Magpul's pocket knife to see why it cost $400 an all I got was "limited edition" and "buy it" yeah but.... What am I getting for $400?
Saw that with Crye Precision and MOS Tactical recently :confused: (fromnR/Tacticalgear) I see absolutely no reason why a pair of woodland pants and shirt has to cost $350+ ea, in the exact same cut and style as their $80 multicam pieces :s0001::s0054: also saw no reason why Woodland or Desert Night Camo plate carriers needed to be marked up nearly thrice the price of the same stuff in regular colors... also why the F is the Cordura (330d, 500d, 1000d) so much more expensive in those two patterns than what Rockywoods and other sellers sell the woodland for!? :s0001::s0001:I get that Desert Night Camo isn't common, but surely being a NATICK pattern, it isn't licensed and exclusive like say, Multicam and Tiger Stripe Products :confused:
That Reddit subreddit introduced to me the concept of "buy once Crye once" and "hypebeast"

"Classic" firearms with wood stocks and blued metal...non "tactical" firearms.

Not a fan of "tactical firearms" or synthetic stocks...Not saying that one shouldn't own them....
Just saying that I don't care for them...and miss the days of when wood stocks and a blued finish was the norm.
Andy

No more excuses.... you know you want this!

E398A433-25CB-415B-8FFC-D1F2C5C2A30E.png

I miss the best writers that graced the pages of gun publications. The likes of Bill Jorden, Skeeter Skelton, Elmer Keith, Jeff Cooper... to name just a few. The sages of the firearms world.
And I miss full auto trigger groups for mini-14's sold at gun shows..... I really miss that. :cool:

Affordable lever actions. :confused: Things like the old Mossberg lever actions, the Montgomery Ward, Sears Roebuck, JC Higgins, Westernfield, and who marketed Revelation series of Mossberg copies? Now one is lucky to find a Norinco lever action for under $300 :( edit. Also, those companies.

What ever happened to those LATI ?? Swedish Semi-Auto 20mm Anti-tank rifles that were advertised in the Shotgun News for $20.00.:s0092:
I always wanted one, but $20.00 was a lot of lawns to mow and at a $1.00 a round.:s0001:
Last one I saw was in a movie. Eastwood was busting safes with it. :eek:

A freshly imported, (if you wanted to call em quality now a days) SKS still dripping in cosmoline along with a wood crate of ammo for $100 OTD. They were cheap fun and who cared how long they lasted or how they were treated, just bust out another when one broke and take a day cleaning it so it was usable and wouldnt slip outta your hands.
All the surplus guns and ammo Mosins, mousers, SKS, Ak's, Swiss, Carcano's, M1 carbines, etc. could all be had cheap for truck or trunk use. Now a days they're all treated like gold. Could get 8mm mouser ammo cheaper than 22mag and dont forget all the copper wash cased ammo and silver tip that was stacked deep and cheap.

Of course theres always the reasonably priced Winchesters that used to be all over. I remember paying 150 for a 30-30, and 275 for a 45lc trapper 20 some yrs ago. Paid 165 for a brand new Ruger super single.

BIGGEST THOUGH: NO BACKGROUND CHECKS ON PRIVATE SALES, and walking out the door with a new long gun no BGC.

DAMN starting to sound like my parents did describing buying a used car for $50 and driving it for years then selling for a profit.........AH the good ol days.

This morning I was thumbing through a couple different books on varmint and small hunting published in the 1980s. One of them had a recommendation, and photographs of, .30-30 Accelerator ammunition. I haven't seen those in a long while. (The last time I saw cartridges in that line was in the early 2000s and, if I recall correctly, it was .30'06. One of my brother's, now late, hunting buddies had some in his pickup.)

Which got me to thinking: what gun "stuff" (e.g., firearms, ammunition, accessories) were fairly common back in the day that you hardly ever or never see any more? Be it in gun shops, in the field, etc.

Did the 30-30 ammunition look like this?

30-30 Winchester Soft-Point (SP) Ammo for Sale by Remington - Rounds (ammunitiontogo.com)

I remember that ammo! I am pretty sure that we are talking about the same thing but he is sleeping now so I can't ask him.

My MT husband had a whole bunch of this ^^^ ammo on hand for several years.

We shot it up and enjoyed shooting it too. Powder puff loads. I shot that ammo out of my former CT Marlin 336C along with other factory and handloads that my MT husband reloaded for me.

ADDED more: My husband is awake now and he said that I was correct when it came to that ammo. He said that I should mention that I shot a bunch of it out of the former Winchester 94 Trapper too.

I have not seen any of it in stock in our MT stores for years on end. I do not know if they completely stopped making it or not since I did not 'research' it.

My husband reloads his 150 and 170 grain ammo for his CT Made Marlin (336SS) 30-30 rifle as he did for several other 30-30 rifles of his in the past.

He makes a lighter load out of 'cast bullets' too.

Nice thread. Thank you.

Cate
Added more.

Last Edited:
I miss the best writers that graced the pages of gun publications. The likes of Bill Jorden, Skeeter Skelton, Elmer Keith, Jeff Cooper... to name just a few. The sages of the firearms world.
And I miss full auto trigger groups for mini-14's sold at gun shows..... I really miss that. :cool:

We still own several of the books written by Keith and Cooper here.

Some gun books including one duplicate Keith book was sent to a friend in NM many years ago.

My MT husband had some older magazines with articles in them by many of those famous authors that you mentioned above. He passed them on to one brother and several of his close friends.

Take care.

Cate

I always wanted to go to the famous 'RENO' or LV gun shows just to see what it was all about. That was years ago. I would not travel to one now even though I would like to see such things in life continue.

I have never been to Reno or LV but since it was mentioned here in this thread... I wanted to throw it in.

I read that the Reno or LV (?) show might have been or was BIGGER (?) than some gun shows that were famous in the states of OK and Texas but I do not know if that is true or not!

I can imagine that in the old days it was something to see.

Disclaimer: I have never bought a gun at a gun show myself. I bought mine at my local FFL dealers back east and out here.

I used to work tables (Volunteer) for political candidates, election issues and/or RKBA issues at a few gun shows back east too. Some of the gun shows were pretty big and away from my VERY rural county but in the same state too.

My former Sportsman's Club back east started to do gun shows too. So some men/members wanted me to HELP there (Volunteer) at a table when it came to selling tickets for this or that too. My former club/range was like a BIG old family to me minus actual blood relatives especially with the much older men AND Nam Veterans who were my late husband's age and a Nam Vet like him too. They encouraged me and my late husband ENCOURAGED me a lot when it came to me wanting to LEARN more about guns, shooting, self defense, buying my own guns, etc. I liked and respected them and vice versa!

Some of our Montana FFL dealers (B and D) sold some of our guns at gun shows here in MT when I got out of MY handguns and when my MT husband was downsizing HIS collection and consolidating firearm calibers before his retirement. One FFL dealer did shows and owned a store too. The other FFL dealers that we used only owned brick and mortar stores and did not do gun shows.

I will not knock ALL gun shows and I do believe that there are good ones and bad ones. I personally hate to see some things GO AWAY when it pertains to ANYTHING gun related.

Camp Perry shooting events were fun too. I never shot there but I knew people who did. I have not been back there and I read that some events were going to be held in another state when it came to some competition.

Many years ago, I used to swim, fish, sail boat and power boat all around that area, around the islands and close to Canada. I learned about that area and 'shooting' from my late husband and when the Coast Guard off of Marblehead (Marblehead had and still has (?) a CG Station and old historic light house.) gave out warnings about LIVE shooting and not just for special events with the military and NRA.

Good shooting to all of you too!

Take care.

Old Lady Cate

ADDED more.

Last Edited:
.30-30 Accelerator ammunition. I haven't seen those in a long while.

You can buy the plastic sabot carriers that hold .224 bullets and make your own. I've done it with .308's. They're not as accurate as a .223 round, but deer rifle accurate.

The full auto, gas operated BB guns in the back of Shotgun News

I've got a Umarex full-auto BB gun Mauser broomhandle design. I think they are discontinued now but it hasn't been very long since you could buy them on Amazon. They are pretty cool, will really put out a stream of BB's.

Fixed power Scopes

I admit to having a few of those.

I always wanted to go to the famous 'RENO' or LV gun shows just to see what it was all about.

It goes back to about 1973 that I went to the Las Vegas show, but I've attended the Reno show in the Grand Sierra Resort several times in the 2000's. The GSR show is/was held in the basement. First time I went in, it looked like a pretty big show. Then I discovered that there was a second section of the hall behind a curtain, you had to walk around so it was twice as big as I'd initially thought. If you go there with someone who has a compted or highly discounted room (some idiot who likes to gamble), you can stay in the hotel, then go right downstairs the next morning to breakfast and thence to the gun show. All very handy. I've heard that the Tulsa show is bigger but I'm not gonna go that far for a gunshow, especially not these days.

This morning I was thumbing through a couple different books on varmint and small hunting published in the 1980s. One of them had a recommendation, and photographs of, .30-30 Accelerator ammunition. I haven't seen those in a long while.
I bought some 30-06 ammo from a member mostly because there was about half a box worth (no box, though) of Accelerators. Later he posted other ammo and there were 4 more! I bought those 4, too. I remember shooting them out of my 30-30 ages ago. I plan on chronoing a few to see how fast they are. Teh rest I'll keep.
Anyone have a 30-06 Accelerator box?
Wood stocks, Leather slings and holsters.
Leather slings and holsters have always been "my style". Recently I decided that I really wanted my rifle to look like I remember rifles looking and pulled it from the Hogue and had Boyd's make one for it. I'm happy I did
20201202_201828.jpg
Hubbard's Boot Grease
I have a can sitting on the counter. Good stuff! I remember Dad slopping that stuff on his boots before hunting season every year.
BIGGEST THOUGH: NO BACKGROUND CHECKS ON PRIVATE SALES, and walking out the door with a new long gun no BGC.

DAMN starting to sound like my parents did describing buying a used car for $50 and driving it for years then selling for a profit.........AH the good ol days.
I really miss this. I had so much fun buying and selling used guns in a parking lot. These days it's actually become a PIA to make a deal. Took all of the fun out of it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top