JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not "common sense" for me...please explain.

"Common sense" is a term used by liberal "intellectuals" to imply that anyone who disagrees with them is reckless or ignorant and that their argument has moral superiority. It's actually rude behavior wrapped in a fluffy blanket, much like a backhanded compliment.

Don't see why the Portland libs won't take that route. It's what Bloomberg has proposed, i.e., take guns away from inner city minorities.
I know and we need to shout that from the roof tops. I've already started to tell my reps that all gun control laws are rooted in Jim Crow laws.

Please, write or call your reps and tell them to stop supporting Jim Crow laws. Write the newspapers and say the same thing. We conservatives have been called racist for too long, time to turn the tables.

If confiscation is ever enacted, they know exactly which doors to knock on, and who not to believe when they're told that the guns were lost in a tragic boating accident.

I promise that they don't have enough officers to enforce a law requiring confiscation. Lawmakers additionally don't have the ability to force officers who don't believe in confiscation into doing their bidding.

There are quite a few more gun owners than there are people in positions of power and the numbers do not favor them ever. They also have to ask the question about how many guns they are going to need to come and take anyone's guns?

So let them have the S/N; if they show up at the door of many gun owners, knowing that number is going to be the least of their problems.

I just called the Yakima County Sheriff's Office. They said that ANYONE can call them with the serial number of a firearm and they are happy to run it through their FULL database and give an instant answer on whether or not it's stolen. (I specifically asked about federal DB access, and they said yes, that too).

So that's the response of at least ONE LE agency.

As for the law in question, remember who is sponsoring it. It has nothing to do with crime control or reduction. It's about making it HARDER to be a gun owner. Period.

T hese people don't give a tinker's damn about crime or violence. All they care about is disarming as many people as possible, which STARTS with placing as many hurdles and as much expense as possible into every aspect of gun ownership. Never make the mistake of taking these people's goals as what they claim. The real issue is disarmament. Everything they do is just another step down that road.

If you have a CHL or have ever purchased a new firearm in Oregon, you are essentially "registered", and they know that you have firearms.

166.427 Register of transfers of used firearms. (1) Whenever a person engaged in the business, as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921, of selling, leasing or otherwise transferring a firearm, whether the person is a retail dealer, pawnbroker or otherwise, buys or accepts in trade, a used firearm, the person shall enter in a register the time, date and place of purchase or trade, the name of the person selling or trading the firearm, the number of the identification documentation presented by the person and the make, model and manufacturer's number of the firearm. The register shall be obtained from and furnished by the Department of State Police to the dealer on application at cost.

(2) The duplicate sheet of the register shall, on the day of purchase or trade, be hand delivered or mailed to the local law enforcement authority.

(3) Violation of this section by any person engaged in the business of selling, leasing or otherwise transferring a firearm is a Class C misdemeanor. [1989 c.839 §16; 1993 c.4 §3; 2001 c.539 §12]

<broken link removed>

My highlighting of this law indicates its intent.... As a Person, if I sell a car, Is Different than a person who has A Business of Selling Cars, so it is, as well, with weapons....

There is No Current Oregon Law, that states (Like Washington's I-594) I, a Private person, not in the Business OF selling Weapons....

philip, I am not a lawyer, but I slept in that Motel once....

"Common sense" is a term used by liberal "intellectuals" to imply that anyone who disagrees with them is reckless or ignorant and that their argument has moral superiority. It's actually rude behavior wrapped in a fluffy blanket, much like a backhanded compliment.

I like this definition. I hope you don't mind me using it in the future :)
Although I might change 'liberal' to something else like "gun-sense" or "gun-control talking head" to keep it specific.

I read Burdick's rational for listing the gun S/N on the background check procedure.
According to her it is to verify if the gun has been reported stolen. (if it IS reported)

so my thought is: why do we not have access to this public info?Then we could check ourselves. Maybe there ought to be a bill introduced to require the law enforcement agencies make this available on a web sight.

Be interesting to see if this "smokes out" the real reason which is registration.

Washington has had a very good record of finding stolen firearms IF:
1. The firearm is reported as stolen by the rightful legal owner.
2. The stolen firearm is sold to a dealer / pawnshop.

Dealers and pawnshops are required by law to run a check on any firearms that come into the shop for sale or trade. The WSP does spot checks of firearms in inventory occasionally, (just like they do at wrecking yards for stolen cars) and if they find a hot gun that has not been run through NICS, the dealer is in hot water.
Along about 1990, a Navy buddy at Whidbey Island got a call from a pawn shop in Pierce County that they had a pistol of his. The pistol had been stolen from him while stationed in Bremerton, and he reported it as such. That was five years previously. All he had to do was drive down to the pawn shop and get it.

Another friend from Montana had a rifle stolen when he was up in Havre. A few years later he had joined the Marines and was stationed at Camp Pendleton. One fine day he had received a call from the Riverside, CA PD that they had recovered his Remington 700 during a drug raid. How they managed to track him down in California, I don't know, but find him they did, and he got his property back.

I know of many instances (more times than not) that legally owned firearms that are stolen are never recovered. I had a hunting rifle stolen over twenty years ago that I am sure will never be returned to me. A few times the system works, most times it doesn't. The recording of serial numbers on a transaction can be used for checking to see if it is stolen, but you can bet it is all about registration. How about brand new firearms? They want those serial numbers as well. Nope, this is all about registration.

Read down to the twelfth paragraph in the article I linked below, it's mentioned that gun registration is likely to be "pushed through legislation" in Oregon, we need to ACT NOW I'm gonna stand at a main intersection with a big sign that says
"want to keep your GUN RIGHTS? Join OFF, Join GOA, Join NRA, or look forward to GUN CONFISCATION .... ACT NOW to preserve freedom TODAY. "

Or something along those lines, I just hate this feeling of impending doom, I wish I made more money I'd take a vow of poverty, shop at thrift stores and give millions $ to our gun rights groups. :mad: God help us.

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news/253067-122402-democrats-act-quickly-to-pass-trio-of-bills

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top