JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't get it. I keep seeing this pop up here. For one I have never seen one here (not saying there has not been, just haven't seen it.) I am really confused as to why any one who values ownership of firearms and the right to the 2nd would ever even suggest selling to it. The who point it to rid of the general population of their firearms. Yet I have seen it recommended a few times here.
Furthermore, how the heck is it a buy back, they never owned it in the first place.

just wondering.

unless you bought a military surplus or police weapon. To "buy" something back you have to have owned it to begin with. Calling it a "buyback" implies that the gov't owned it to begin with!!!

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Lol, i have 2 lorcin 380 that missing firing pins and cpuple spring and a pos ap74 ar15 copy looking make by jager. I checked for parts on Those guns and the cost is more than buying a new better guns. I am saving it in my gargage waiting for buyback guns locally. I want to get at least 100 bucks for each. I think they will give me fredmyers gift cert. I can use that to buy a working gun ha ha ha

actually it is a good way to sell non functioning guns for cash.

I have two "pieces of garbage" guns that need to be disposed of. Yes, I would go to a gun buybck to get cash money for them. I do not want to sell them as that would be unfair to any buyer. But I would also attend with a big pile of cash in case somebody wanted to sell something outside the buyback process. Having never see a Gun Buyback, I do not know exactly how the function.

-sbc

and it doesn't leave you with a feeling of supporting the anti's? I have read in other forums and in news reports about these "buy backs". They all stand around proudly expressing their success. A few years ago I read about one ( in the south if I remember right) and it showed some pics, and most of the guns on the table were in fact junk. Some in fact looked as if they were drug out from a lake. Yet the whole article was about there great success. Advertising success usually brings even more success next time, so on and so forth. So if we feed into it we help them with their cause by giving them more to brag about. Its about the numbers, not that most firearms they "bought back" would ever be usable again.

Let the anti 2A's have there "Buy backs". If the sheeple feel safer in there homes looking at a pile of junk firearms on TV instead of owning at least one in good working order than so be it!

People have been brainwashed into thinking firearms are the root of all the evil that men do. The only thing we can do as responsible gun owners is to try changing there minds one at a time.

We do not have the means of a mass debrainwashing. That's my $0.02.

Lefty.

I support gun "buybacks" and NOT because the Anti-gunners think that they get some glory for it. Fact is, there really ARE guns that need to be disposed of, conveniently, with no questions asked. Think of all the newly single mamas with guns around the house, now that boyfriend Bubba is off to prison? Think of all of the elderly ladies with surplus guns now that Hubbie is deceased? Think of all of the homes with suddenly discovered new guns where the teen has new friends wearing gang colors? Think of all the people who just really need the money, who can't go through with selling a gun legally?

There ARE good reasons for these gun "buy-ups."...........................elsullo :(

The annual ceasefire one would give a $75 Fred Meyer gift certificate that their supporters paid money to acquire. Turn in a piece of garbage, then go buy some ammo or a gun (in some locations) with their money. There was a thread on here where there was a picture of a bat taped to a rifle stock at a gun buyback. Who wouldn't want to sell them that?

its not about taking money from them, it's giving them more numbers. The higher their number count is, the more creditable they become.
"There was a thread on here where there was a picture of a bat taped to a rifle stock at a gun buyback. Who wouldn't want to sell them that?"
I wouldn't.!!!!

Seems I am alone on this, the great thing about this country is we can all think differently. These programs are big steaming piles and I will not participate in any way.

I support gun "buybacks" and NOT because the Anti-gunners think that they get some glory for it. Fact is, there really ARE guns that need to be disposed of, conveniently, with no questions asked. Think of all the newly single mamas with guns around the house, now that boyfriend Bubba is off to prison? Think of all of the elderly ladies with surplus guns now that Hubbie is deceased? Think of all of the homes with suddenly discovered new guns where the teen has new friends wearing gang colors? Think of all the people who just really need the money, who can't go through with selling a gun legally?

There ARE good reasons for these gun "buy-ups."...........................elsullo :(

So... why exactly can't these kinds of people sell a gun legally? If these kinds of people have guns they don't want, what stops them from going to a gun store or even a pawn shop and getting rid of their guns and getting some money that way? They don't have to be savvy enough to set up an FTF sale and get full market value if all that matters is getting rid of a firearm safely and legally.

Additionally, going that route is actually faster and potentially gets you more money. Just how often do so-called buy backs happen? If you're worried your gun may fall into the wrong hands, why would you wait around for something that happens once a year when most gun shops and pawn shops seem to be open 6 days a week? As far as money goes, I've never been to a "buy back" but it seems like in most cases, you get some small amount of cash or a gift card per gun, without regard to how much the gun is worth. They're not gonna appraise your firearm and compensate accordingly. If it's an pristine Springfield 1903 or M1 Garand, you'll still get a $50 Wal-Mart gift card. A gun shop or pawn shop may give you 60% or 40% respectively, but that's a whole lot better than 50 bucks that only good at Wal-Mart.

So... why exactly can't these kinds of people sell a gun legally? If these kinds of people have guns they don't want, what stops them from going to a gun store or even a pawn shop and getting rid of their guns and getting some money that way? They don't have to be savvy enough to set up an FTF sale and get full market value if all that matters is getting rid of a firearm safely and legally.

Well, the obvious answer is that the majority of people don't know anything about guns, even their own guns. They may not know the history or legality of the piece that they have "inherited" and may be afraid of getting arrested at a legal gun store. Single mama might suspect that Bubba's gun was hot. Grannie may even KNOW that their gun is illegally gotten, since grandpa took it off a drunk celebrating the end of WW2! Basically, the gun buy-ups offer a safe, secure, no-questions-asked format that gun-phobics do not have to be afraid of.

Conversely, many people KNOW that their guns have no commercial value, even if still functional. They may have been laughed out of pawnshops already with their rusty old Iver-Johnsons and .32 S&W topbreaks with the peeling chrome finish, or pristine Jennings paperweights. There are plenty of still dangerous guns that gunshops will refuse at any price, or pay even less than the fifty or seventy-five dollars that the buy-ups will pay. It's good that these unwanted guns can go somewhere for at least a little profit to the owner...........................elsullo

I look at it as a good way to unload the mess of Jennings and Lorcins that are short parts after making up saleable guns (well yeah) from the 20MM cans of bits and pieces we bought when the pawn was closing. Probably managed to SAVE about 20 "guns" that would have been scrapped and cut with the bandsaw for melt. Brother's and I all stood in line and fleeced WA Sheepfire out of a gift card for each. ALL most of those had was the trigger, slide, barrel and grips and only the BROKEN grips at that...held on with tape.....ALL were certifiably JUNK...and were missing critical components...heck, two of the barrels had bullets stuck in them! :s0155:

Well, the obvious answer is that the majority of people don't know anything about guns, even their own guns. They may not know the history or legality of the piece that they have "inherited" and may be afraid of getting arrested at a legal gun store. Single mama might suspect that Bubba's gun was hot. Grannie may even KNOW that their gun is illegally gotten, since grandpa took it off a drunk celebrating the end of WW2! Basically, the gun buy-ups offer a safe, secure, no-questions-asked format that gun-phobics do not have to be afraid of.

One can call the police and find out for free whether or not the gun is stolen.
Furthermore, couldn't a buy-back be used by people who KNOW a gun is stolen or used in a crime as a way to destroy the evidence and even make a quick buck in the process?

Conversely, many people KNOW that their guns have no commercial value, even if still functional. They may have been laughed out of pawnshops already with their rusty old Iver-Johnsons and .32 S&W topbreaks with the peeling chrome finish, or pristine Jennings paperweights. There are plenty of still dangerous guns that gunshops will refuse at any price, or pay even less than the fifty or seventy-five dollars that the buy-ups will pay. It's good that these unwanted guns can go somewhere for at least a little profit to the owner...........................elsullo

If I had a gun of little to no value, I would part it off, or sell it as parts gun. If I didn't have that ability or didn't know how, I would sooner give it away to a law-abiding citizen for free than to provide any service to foolish anti-gun ventures like "buy-backs."

Now that maybe because I can afford to pass up $50 on a matter of principle, but maybe a very down-on-her-luck single mother can't quite so easily pass that up, $50 is a lot more to some people than others. It's hard to argue that someone with a child to feed and no money shouldn't be able to turn in an RG revolver with a cracked cylinder in exchange for $50 at Fred Meyer so then... maybe they could make the "buy back" program honest. There's kind of a novel thought. Maybe they should have a minimum reward of the $50 or $75 they typically do, but pay pawn shop or gun shop figures for anything worth more than that. Then, instead of destroying the guns of that aren't worthless junk, they could, after taking the necessary steps to ensure the serial number isn't gonna get the future owner in trouble, sell them to the public via an FFL they could contract with. It might even become profitable.

and it doesn't leave you with a feeling of supporting the anti's?

Sadly, very little I can do will stop them from being stupid and hyping their cause. If I take their money, their cost of doing business goes up. And, I'll happily use their money to take a non-shooter to the range for an introduction to the craft. -sbc

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews