Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Got My First AK Build Back Together...

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by fingolfen, Feb 22, 2009.

1. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

Put together this Polish Underfolder last year - finally got it finished - went with a mollycoat on this one. Photo is a little dark - need to take it with better light. The actual rifle came out pretty good, though:

Polishkit.jpg

2. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Sweet build...........Take a pic of it outside.

What did you use to do the rivets?

3. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

This one I put together a couple of years ago using a friend's jigs and "jaws of death" (bolt cutter).

I now have the ak builder jigs - have my first lower together... happy with the trigger guard and the front trunion - not at all happy with the rear trunion - need to figure out what I did wrong on it. It's together, but the rivet heads on the far side are ugly...

4. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

You need to trim off about 3/32 off the AK-Builder rivets before installing them.

5. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

Ahhh!!! I wondered that after I saw how much they stuck out... makes sense! Thanks!!! :thumbup:

6. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

That looks really nice - what receiver did you use?

I'm also curious how under-folders are to fire? I almost bought one instead of a fixed stock model, but wasn't sure how they were to fire.

7. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

Thanks!!! This one's on an Ohio Ordnance...

Shoots fine. I haven't completely zeroed it in yet, but the recoil is more than reasonable...

8. korntera

korntera Oregon Member

I am working on an M64 yugo underfolder now, I hope mine will turn out as nice.

9. tuckerha

tuckerha Tucson, Arizona Member

Awesome job. Did you do the finish yourself? I have an older Yugo I need to have refinished.

10. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

I didn't do the finish - I had a local company do a mollycoat on it...

11. Deavis

Deavis Mid Willamette Valley Active Member

:thumbup:That is one nice AK! I have a Polish underfolder in the build stage too.... and the sling! it really sets it off!:thumbup:

12. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

So if you ( I ) could still get a parts kit. What is the rough cost of building one?

13. Deavis

Deavis Mid Willamette Valley Active Member

Depends on how much of it you do yourself ..... I think a builder will probably be about $300-350 or so to demil your kit, and build it on a NDS receiver and then refinish. You could learn the process yourself... and if you have buddies with tools you should be able to do it for cost of kit plus $60 for the receiver + $10 transfer fee + about $50 in compliance parts... or you could get a flat and bend it instead of the NDS for abot $15....then you have to refinish it. Many threads on this topic at AKfiles or theAKforum. If you want a good builder - local and GOOD look up 762llc.com. Tell him I sent you.

14. needs2hunt

needs2hunt Tacoma Wa. Member

it depends on which kit you get... buying a receiver is getting to be a real pain... i waited almost 3 months for mine from nodakspud... or you could buy a flat and build it that way . so anywhere from $20 to $100 for a receiver. a rivet kit is 10/15 bucks, all the the little parts to make it US compliant, about 60 bucks ... so probably figure about 200 to 250 more after buying a kit, that would get you a complete AK

15. candyman

candyman Scappoose, OR Active Member

make that 3/16 off the rivets :)

16. tuckerha

If you are thinking of doing your on build, I think finding a parts kit might be one of the first obstacles. I've been looking as well, but they are in a rather high demand these days, so prices have skyrocketed. They are still out there. But let me ask this, what is a "good" price these days for a Parts kit?

17. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

Depends on the parts kit...

Romy G kits seem to be going for in excess of $300

Polish underfolders seem to be going for over $400

You can get a few virgin Yugo kits, but they're really spendy and take more work...

18. tuckerha

I definitely don't want to mess with a virgin kit. I don't have the equipment or the experience. But 300 dollars is what I am seeing on gunbroker right now.

Thanks for the info.

19. Abe Froman

Abe Froman West of Salem Active Member

Could someone please explain what a virgin kit is. :thumbup:

20. tuckerha

Brand new, never been assembled parts kit for an AK, like this. They take a bit more experience and tools than I have.