JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You might consider something by Fenix - like their <broken link removed> . I haven't used this specific model but have used one of their AA models (L1D) for a few years with positive results.

Or, you could always just go with a Photon of some sort. I've had one on my keychain for years - always seems to work; haven't broken it (yet); rarely notice it there. It'd get me out of a dark theater and more. Although it's not AAA-powered, the batteries seem to last forever & are easy to find at a drug store.

Ditto that about the Fenix. I've got one riding on my keychain and I've been very, very pleased with it.

right now costco has three small tactical flashlights...150 lumens...for 19.99 "Techlite"
Didn't think I'd pick these up, until I was in Costco today. They are super-bright, come with 9 Duracell AAA batteries (so subtract that from the price of the lights) and are quite handy.

Strobe function seems like a nice little addition for disorienting any BGs, using myself as a test subject I kinda wanted to vomit after looking at the flashing.

Not sure just how these will hold up over time, but at least so far, seems like $20 well spent. One for me, one for my wife, and one in a go bag. Just cut apart the packaging and taped over three of the AAAs so they won't be sitting in the light and potentially leaking.

Not sure if the crown was designed to be tactical or look tactical, but would likely work alright for striking.

Didn't think I'd pick these up, until I was in Costco today. They are super-bright, come with 9 Duracell AAA batteries (so subtract that from the price of the lights) and are quite handy.

Strobe function seems like a nice little addition for disorienting any BGs, using myself as a test subject I kinda wanted to vomit after looking at the flashing.

Not sure just how these will hold up over time, but at least so far, seems like $20 well spent. One for me, one for my wife, and one in a go bag. Just cut apart the packaging and taped over three of the AAAs so they won't be sitting in the light and potentially leaking.

Not sure if the crown was designed to be tactical or look tactical, but would likely work alright for striking.

Any links to a u tube on the strobe lights, i would like to review them??

I still love my Nebo Redline and use one of two for work. 220 lumen LED that uses 3 AAA batteries. Mulitple settings including SOS and Strobe function. Magnetic base also makes it nice because it will stick to metal so you can use it as a work lamp. All for around $20-25.

If those are the lights I'm thinking of, they drain the batteries like crazy. Even when they're off.

New Costco Cree "tactical" lights?

Any links to a u tube on the strobe lights, i would like to review them??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf1o-cniHSs

Again, if we're talking about the same lights that is.

If those are the lights I'm thinking of, they drain the batteries like crazy. Even when they're off.
Same manufacturer, likely the same issue, but not the same model. These are not able to be focused, the head is fixed. There is also no lighting up of the button cap like the other model, which I hope indicates a change in the design that may also fix the drain issue.

I found a site that gives instructions on how to modify them to not drain constantly, however the only way to effectively stop the issue and keep the functionality is to have a swappable switch - one with the functionality, one without. Swap in the functional one prior to use, which is no different than just removing the batteries, really.

Modding the TechLite Lumen Master (aka the Costco Special Cree Flashlight) | BudgetLightForum.com

Also says it should be possible to pop a 18650 in there. That was the most interesting bit for me.

I'm not quite sure if this has the same problems, though. The three models described on the site all have subtle differences, with the "targeted" model having a clear switch cover. This one has a black cover. Granted, that could be the only difference, but hard to tell at this point. If I can remember to do so, I will post on how long the AAAs last in mine once they die.

One quick fix I'm thinking of trying, if the drain is an issue, is just cutting a plastic disc to place between the butt cap and the battery holder. Unscrew the cap, remove the plastic, good to go. Still requires opening to "prepare" the light, but allows you to store the batteries in the light without draining.

Here is a review of one of the older models, there is a demo of the strobe at around 2:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKOP_wZa0hI
That seems to match the frequency of the one on mine, however the video doesn't do it justice. This is an "SOS" strobe, but it still makes me feel pretty ill to look at it, from either end of the light.

Those look to me like they recharge in a vehicle lighter socket, or with the adapter in a wall plug. Good luck with that if the SHTF unless you have a solar vehicle battery charger and an adapter to that battery. Please let me have a light with 2 rechargeable AA batteries, extra batteries and a solar charger.

Until someone shows me something better for the money, I'm sticking with my small 2 AA Mag Lite with a beam which can be focused. The only benefit I see so far to an LED light is that the LEDs last a lot longer than a bulb, so I have lots of extra bulbs.

$.02

I've got one of the stubby little cigarette lighter rechargeable things. Works pretty good, too.
I've also got those cheap Harbor Freight 3 AAA multiple LED's around the house and vehicles. They also actually work pretty good.
I've got a SureFire Tactical from a while ago. I never carry it anymore. Special bulbs, special batteries, too bulky...
That NiteIze thing is pretty cool. I wish they made that for MagLite's little single AAA incadecent light (forget the name). I used to carry a Mini Mag. Once up in the Ape caves a friend of mine dropped my big D cell Mag. Which broke both bulbs. Of course he showed up with dead batteries for his light. That left us with my back up Mini. While using the light as a candle, a drop from the ceiling killed the first bulb. The batteries then went dead half way through. It was a long slow trip out using my Zippo for two people.
Now I really like LED. They're rugged and even when the batteries are pretty much dead, they still give off usable light.

Anything bigger than single AAA is really outside of my specs. I'm not a tactical operator, I just want a decent little pocketable flashlight. I've got bigger better choices, on hand. Just need a useable 'always on me' EDC.
The Fenix line looks pretty good. They are generally well thought of when I look around on the interwebs.
I hate to buy chinese on an item like this. But, what U.S. made options I find are either way to expensive, or rather lack luster in their performance.

I had no idea a flashlight question would get such response. I've seen rather compelling firearms topics languish and fizzle. This is neat!
I guess we're all gear geeks at heart?

Thinking Fenix EO5 or LD01. I'd prefer the LD01, I think? I've found the E05 at Wholesale Sports. Anybody know a local source for the LD01?
These are both kind of at or a little above my price range but, they seem worth it.
Any comparisons, experience or preference between the two?

Thinking Fenix EO5 or LD01...
Any comparisons, experience or preference between the two?

LD01 will give you multiple modes of output and is not a flood.
It's rated at 27 hrs on it's lowest setting and that can be extended with lithium batteries.
I'm not sure you're going to find one locally however.
Mike at PTS has them <broken link removed>
He's a good guy and I have bought from him many times.

Same manufacturer, likely the same issue, but not the same model. These are not able to be focused, the head is fixed. There is also no lighting up of the button cap like the other model, which I hope indicates a change in the design that may also fix the drain issue.

I found a site that gives instructions on how to modify them to not drain constantly, however the only way to effectively stop the issue and keep the functionality is to have a swappable switch - one with the functionality, one without. Swap in the functional one prior to use, which is no different than just removing the batteries, really.

Modding the TechLite Lumen Master (aka the Costco Special Cree Flashlight) | BudgetLightForum.com

Also says it should be possible to pop a 18650 in there. That was the most interesting bit for me.

I'm not quite sure if this has the same problems, though. The three models described on the site all have subtle differences, with the "targeted" model having a clear switch cover. This one has a black cover. Granted, that could be the only difference, but hard to tell at this point. If I can remember to do so, I will post on how long the AAAs last in mine once they die.

One quick fix I'm thinking of trying, if the drain is an issue, is just cutting a plastic disc to place between the butt cap and the battery holder. Unscrew the cap, remove the plastic, good to go. Still requires opening to "prepare" the light, but allows you to store the batteries in the light without draining.

Here is a review of one of the older models, there is a demo of the strobe at around 2:40
Techlite Lumen Master Review - YouTube
That seems to match the frequency of the one on mine, however the video doesn't do it justice. This is an "SOS" strobe, but it still makes me feel pretty ill to look at it, from either end of the light.

I searched the Costco website, I could not find the Techlite Flashlight, has it been discontinued???

Pretty sure that Costco's site and the warehouses don't always line up in terms of what's available. At least as of last Sunday, the warehouse near me had a good number on the rack. So you have to go to a store to get it, but if you don't want to make a trip needlessly, you can always call and ask. The menu system is a pain if you just want to ask a stock question, but once you figure out how to get to a human being, they are quick to help out.

Thinking Fenix EO5 or LD01.

I think the features on the LD01 are better. But, if you're staying true to your original goal - good, no-frills, affordable flashlight - the E05 might be a better fit.

The BatteryJunction website has a LD01 that's one generation older (not that you'd notice much difference) and $10 cheaper than the current model - something to consider if balancing price.

Thanks, for the links. At $39.95 the LD01 is only $5 more than Wholesale Sports price for the E05. Of course, I do have a $10 off coupon for W.S. and no shipping.
However, now that I'm expanding my realm of 'gear geekdom'. The LD01 is increasingly seductive in it's beckoning.

I like battery Junction they have prices on the Photon II's and excellent turn around time on orders, but I was wandering does anyone anything about this light Jetbeam Raptor RRT-15 - 480 Lumen Cree XM-L LED - 3 x CR123A batteries looks pretty kool with 480 lumens, I would like one with a blinding strobe on it, SOF forces using to clear bldgs and and take haji's.

I keep one of the Photon LED lights on my key chain. Doug Ritters site for the Photon Light: Doug Ritter Special Edition MkII Photon Freedom Micro-light Kinda pricey, but for the features, I really like it. I have had mine for years and replaced the battery once. He really did build a better light.
If you want BOB light, this $10 Tactical light: <broken link removed> Is awesome. I have several around. A 200 lumen tactical spot and adjustable to a flood. Easily competes with lights ten times the price.

PHOTON II L.E.D. Goes on your key chain, available in multiple colors, some colors use up batteries quicker than others, A turqoise is ultimate night vision and fairly bright.

WHite light battery is good for 12 - 24 depends if it is contiheos use or not.

Turqoise light battery much, much longer look and first link for product manufacturers specifications, used it backpacking 2,200 miles all i needed at night, replaced battery once.

I bought one for each of my relatives and keep one all of my key chains

PhotonLight.com | Powerful LED Flashlights, LED Keychain Lights & more.

Amazon.com: photon II

This was what I was going to post.. we have them on all our jacket zipper pulls and on all our keychains.. super light weight and the white LED is far brighter than you would expect.. they run a long tome on one lithium wafer battery and the colored versions run for several days. There is even an infra red version for use with night vision

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top