JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I hope this is the right place for this?

The other day I was sitting in the theater with my wife. I thought to my self, "self, what if the power goes out? I don't want to try and use my phone as a light, it's battery is always about to die!".
I quit carrying a 'tacticool' flashlight when I quit wearing a duty belt. Since I hung the ol' Bat Utility Belt, I guess I've gotten used to relying on the infrastucture to light my way.
I do keep flashlights in the truck, my wifes car, the night stands, etc... But, not on my person, anymore.

I'm looking for a small (single aaa), inexpensive, reliable, LED flashlight.
I know aaa does'nt have huge light output. I want a common, easy to find anywhere, power source.
I'm not looking for a razzle-dazzle 'tacticool' hand held prison spotlight. Just something I can drop in a pocket. You know, because I don't have enough crap in various pockets already.

Any recommendations? Oh yes, I'd prefer something I can just buy off the shelf, locally.

Thanks!

I know it does not fit your description but the Surefire G2XP. The reason I carry it is small enough I can carry it easily in my pocket at all times (even sitting around the house). Yet it is bright enough to be amazing.

GF also carries one in her purse and I have another in my daily carry bag.

You might consider something by Fenix - like their <broken link removed> . I haven't used this specific model but have used one of their AA models (L1D) for a few years with positive results.

Or, you could always just go with a Photon of some sort. I've had one on my keychain for years - always seems to work; haven't broken it (yet); rarely notice it there. It'd get me out of a dark theater and more. Although it's not AAA-powered, the batteries seem to last forever & are easy to find at a drug store.

Just bought a Maglite XL50. Probably bigger than what your looking for BUT

High (100 lumen) for 8 hours 45 minutes to 50% power!!
Low ( 25 lumen) for 36 Hours to 50% power!!!!!!

Beam focuses from flood to spotlight.

$30 at Walmart

It's become my EDC flashlight. Easy UI and doesn't have 37 different modes to click through.

The problem with single cell lights is that a single battery only produce 1.5V, so flashlights that use a single AAA or AA cell tend to be dim, and burn through batteries very quickly.

I have a couple higher end LED lights, but none of them have the burn time on high that the Maglite does.

You might consider something by Fenix - like their <broken link removed> . I haven't used this specific model but have used one of their AA models (L1D) for a few years with positive results.

Or, you could always just go with a Photon of some sort. I've had one on my keychain for years - always seems to work; haven't broken it (yet); rarely notice it there. It'd get me out of a dark theater and more. Although it's not AAA-powered, the batteries seem to last forever & are easy to find at a drug store.
get the fenix i have a few of them and there great

I keep a Fenix E01 in my pocket daily. Not sure where you would find one in your area. Takes 1 AAA and won't night blind you.
P1080125.jpg

Wanna go uber cheap and stock up for around the house? Harbor freight has one that's 3 1/2 inches long, has 9 LEDs and takes 3 AAA batteries. We have a bunch of them around the house and in cars, bikes, tool boxes, etc. and haven't had a single failure.

They often advertise in their weekly flyer that they'll give you one just for visiting the store. Otherwise, they are just a couple of bucks.

They aren't super, super bright, but they'll sure allow you to easily get around in the dark, and I use them for looking around inside computer cases and all sorts of things.

right now costco has three small tactical flashlights...150 lumens...for 19.99 "Techlite"

Amazon.com: Techlite Lumen Master 150 Lumens High-Intensity CREE XPE L.E.D. Tactical Flashlight, 3 Pack: Home Improvement

I see reviews which claim these drain batteries even when turned off. Some recommend you remove the batteries when not in use, most recommend carrying extra rechargeable batteries. The main knock on LED lights is battery life anyway, so this is a deal killer for me. I haven't had that problem with the Harbor Freight lights, although these may well be better lights otherwise. I just don't know.

I carry that very smallest mag light in my pocket and it has longer battery life and the beam will focus. The cheap LED's are sure handy to have lots of them around, though.

PHOTON II L.E.D. Goes on your key chain, available in multiple colors, some colors use up batteries quicker than others, A turqoise is ultimate night vision and fairly bright.

WHite light battery is good for 12 - 24 depends if it is contiheos use or not.

Turqoise light battery much, much longer look and first link for product manufacturers specifications, used it backpacking 2,200 miles all i needed at night, replaced battery once.

I bought one for each of my relatives and keep one all of my key chains

PhotonLight.com | Powerful LED Flashlights, LED Keychain Lights & more.

Amazon.com: photon II

The ARC AAA-P looks pretty nice, but considering it's cost to lumens ratio, the Fenix EO1 looks better.
The Fenix LD1(sp?) has substantial light, but is a little more than I want to spend.
The StreamLight Micro Stream really seems like a lot of bang for the buck. Some people have reported issues with unintended activation, in the pocket though. Anyone used this? Any issues? This seems my best choice. Any local stores carry these?

I may get a couple Photons for my wife and I to put on our keychains.
This would be pretty handy. A nice addition to my Victrinox Classic, that also resides there. I carry a more usefull knife most the time. A more usefull flashlight soon, too.
I've always got my keys (all 2 of them), so these would make a compact bare minimum.

Fenix flashlights are the untold secret of the flashlight world. Everyone knows about the overpriced streamlights and surefires, but nobody really knows about the pellican and fenix flashlights.

I use an E-20 on a daily basis. Takes (2) AA batteries.

coctailer, yours is probobaly all scuffed up from riding in your pocket. I hate to think of anyone walking around with gear so obviously worn out. You should just go ahead and get yourself a new one. I'll 'dispose' of that old boat anchor your lugging. It seems pretty extreme, I know. But, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

coctailer, yours is probobaly all scuffed up from riding in your pocket. I hate to think of anyone walking around with gear so obviously worn out. You should just go ahead and get yourself a new one. I'll 'dispose' of that old boat anchor your lugging. It seems pretty extreme, I know. But, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

$249 for a flashlight? That's more than I'd pay for a new car, LOL.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top