JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So for various reasons I have not started CHUG (my 1948 Willys CJ-2A build short for CHUG A LUG) since sometime in November. To day I went out and unburied Chug. Turned the Battery disconnect switch on and put my key in the ignition turned it to the on position saw the volt gauge jump to a little over 12V. I pulled the choke out and hit the starter button. In about 10 rotations (an estimate) it fired and held I then pushed the choke into about half.

I was standing outside of CHUG at the time. No fuel peddle was used at all.

Not bad to start after sitting with that evil E10 87 octane fuel in it for over 8 months.

Now to do all the other stuff I need to do before taking it out for its first run of 2023. Got a local car show to go to next Saturday and then two more the following Saturdays.

No way will I get the Hard top ready to paint by Labor day weekend OH WELL.

Pretty happy with my Holley Red fuel pump and the rest of the system. Not to mention the electrical and that HUGE NAPA series 31 950 CCA battery.

If the Balloon goes up this is my ride This winter I will be starting on a small off road travel trailer to go with it.

hUzDxYg.jpg

Thank You for sharing the progression of CHUG. I have been following along over the past few years.
It is nice to see you enjoying the fruits of your labor.

Some of the family was wandering around Cedarburg, Wisconsin yesterday, and they stumbled across this red Willys.
Instantly thought of the engineering, the work and the care that you have put into yours.

ui_redwillys01.png
ui_redwillys02.png
Anyway, thought you might enjoy the pics.

Thanks for the words guys. I been pretty stoked about it since I got it on the road in 2021. Its got a little over 2900 miles on it so far. Can't wait to see how it does with the hard top and then the travel trailer. I know its not going to be a freeway flyer. But should hold its own on any 55mph road.

So for various reasons I have not started CHUG (my 1948 Willys CJ-2A build short for CHUG A LUG) since sometime in November. To day I went out and unburied Chug. Turned the Battery disconnect switch on and put my key in the ignition turned it to the on position saw the volt gauge jump to a little over 12V. I pulled the choke out and hit the starter button. In about 10 rotations (an estimate) it fired and held I then pushed the choke into about half.

Not bad to start after sitting with that evil E10 87 octane fuel in it for over 8 months.

Now to do all the other stuff I need to do before taking it out for its first run of 2023. Got a local car show to go to next Saturday and then two more the following Saturdays.

Pretty happy with my Holley Red fuel pump and the rest of the system. Not to mention the electrical and that HUGE NAPA series 31 950 CCA battery.

If the Balloon goes up this is my ride This winter I will be starting on a small off road travel trailer to go with it.

View attachment 1457703

charlie brown.jpg

That's a good looking little rig. Always had a soft spot for the early stuff, lots of really savvy design work went into them. I used to have a couple of WC-52's, never could find a decent early Willys. I'll have to look around for a build thread on it, I'm new here.

Right now the only little old 4x4 I have is a Haflinger.

Right now the only little old 4x4 I have is a Haflinger.
Tell us more!

I'm seriously considering building a CJ2a completely from repop parts when I'm finally 100% in Montana and have my shop complete. Frames and bodies are available from a few sources. Throw a Cummins 4bbt in it and you have a much more interesting utility vehicle than a modern side-by-side. Hell, it might even fit the 1936 Hudson engine I have if I can find the parts to rebuild it.

View attachment 1457703
Nice flat fender(?) I know it's not a high hood.

Tell us more!

I'm seriously considering building a CJ2a completely from repop parts when I'm finally 100% in Montana and have my shop complete. Frames and bodies are available from a few sources. Throw a Cummins 4bbt in it and you have a much more interesting utility vehicle than a modern side-by-side. Hell, it might even fit the 1936 Hudson engine I have if I can find the parts to rebuild it.
That sounds awesome, not going the Mahindra Roxor route?

Very nice CJ-2A !
I had a '57 CJ5
That F-head was a great engine.

I converted it to a 302 Ford.
Crazy power but in reality, not the quite the same as OEM.

A full size can't follow them.
Yes they can !
No.
Can't fit between the trees !

:)

Eh, what's to tell about a Haflinger?

So the one I have is a 1963 700AP, used by the Swiss Army. Pretty much just a basic model, which means it's a 1300 pound GVW, 1/2 ton capacity 4x4, 630cc twin cylinder boxer (think half a VW engine and you'll be right on the money), independent suspension, locking diffs, 5 speed with a crawler gear, forward control micro off road money pit. :)

Of course it's been sitting in the shop for a year now, since I'm working on all sorts of other junk. I need to drag it out of the corner, have to replace a few bearings in the driver side front suspension arm. The suspension arms in these little trucks are sealed oil baths that have the drives going through them. Overly complicated design that works well...when it works. Typical Austrian/German type of engineering. Then again, this little truck has been heavily used for decades and it's still running pretty strong. They must have done something right.

Not a whole lot of them in North America, but they're fairly popular on the other side of the pond. I think I have the only one in Alaska.

Speaking of Willy's I see an outfit in clackamas is selling Mitsubishi Willy's jeep knock offs. Don't know anything about them except they are $14,000 which seems awfully high for what it is. Same people that sell the little mini dump trucks, fire engines, etc imported form Japan (I think).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top