JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anybody notice the distance of engagement? Definitely more than most folks practice I would wager. An excellent lesson that we should add some longer range work in with our normal practice routine.

Good thing someone had a gun on them. This is why you should to carry a gun everywhere you go. This guy probably thought he was going to walk into a church like the guy in the New Zealand and have easy pickins.

If you're going to draw your gun, DO IT QUICKLY!!! It cost the man his life by being slow.
Talk about being in a "white" space. Meaning, at church maybe reflecting on your week or your family and then this happened. At the mall or someplace else you may have your head on a swivel but at church at the end of the year it's unfortunate yet understandable. A question I have is, was the shooter known to people at the church. How long would you hesitate if "Hank" the usher bust out with a shotgun?

Thank God that church either had people or were open to people carrying. My sister in California recently visited a church in Texas and said there were people carrying. The pastor even said, be nice to the visiting Californians, they aren't use to this.

The video of the incident is online. As soon as the gunman with the shotgun opens fire on two parishioners a third parishioner in the back fires and knocks him out with the first shot. Emphasizes the importance of training and preparation. Many people are alive because that parishioner carried his gun and was able to skillfully use it.

Here is a better video

John C. does some excellent vids. His "evidence based" analysis is a treasure trove of good info. Wow, he is out quick with this one.

Anybody notice the distance of engagement? Definitely more than most folks practice I would wager. An excellent lesson that we should add some longer range work in with our normal practice routine.

I get annoyed with IDPA for spending so much time on longer shots, but I guess that's what we need more practice doing.

Thank God that church either had people or were open to people carrying.

It's Texas...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I noticed the gentleman that was sitting when this started had to get up before his draw... it looked like maybe small of the back carry? That cost him his life. :(:(:(

His draw looked slow, or fumbling, but maybe he was deciding whether to go against the drawn gun. We'll never know.

I wonder what the motive was? Personal grudge? Didn't like folks from that particular sect? One would have to be pretty screwed up to walk into a house of worship and do that. At least the perp is no more.

Unless it is for someone else (e.g., wedding, funeral, etc.), I don't attend any kind of house of worship, but I would pack if I did. No place is safe from warped people.

Here's hoping their community can heal up after such a horrific attack and that the wounded fellow pulls through.

John C. does some excellent vids. His "evidence based" analysis is a treasure trove of good info. Wow, he is out quick with this one.

I get annoyed with IDPA for spending so much time on longer shots, but I guess that's what we need more practice doing.

It's Texas...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I noticed the gentleman that was sitting when this started had to get up before his draw... it looked like maybe small of the back carry? That cost him his life. :(:(:(

His draw looked slow, or fumbling, but maybe he was deciding whether to go against the drawn gun. We'll never know.
He said he usually doesn't do this but it was a church and the good guys won.
And in case you don't know he was a pastor.
Had his own church.
You can see he is very upset at the beginning of the video

So it may be a play on words to keep the argument that only "trained security" should have guns then. There's always some wiggle room.

I was thinking that but after surveying various news reports, I think it is mostly the twitter account that was linked above and ABC who are running with that narrative, although, Slate only makes vague references toward the end of the article (most news agencies used active language clearly stating something like "parishioners killed the bad guy" -- I guess the WSJ also used passive language but at least more clear than Slate's).

• WA Post: I have that site blocked, maybe someone else could look.
  • NY Times: I have that site blocked, maybe someone else could look.

They are often the same. Many churches have internal security measures including armed and diligent parishers, including police, former police, and/or military or former military.
Correct. Where I attend there are ushers who are LEO, former LEO or have training. Many as of late are putting more emphasis on formalizing a security detail. Coms, positioning, walk arounds inside and outside.

They know me, my hobbies and know I'm there too along with a dozen others in the crowd.

The shooter pos is dead! :D
No trial
No 'years in jail'
No taxpayer funded appeals
Yadda..yadda...yadda
rest in hell you fnin scumbag
Just a shame the other gun owners didn't have to go clean their weapons...;) Practice makes perfect ya know..

Dan

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR