JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The smart azz in me says : "Looks like the shooter picked the wrong restaurant or maybe the right one"... :eek::D

Not a lot of details in the story.
That said...
If someone has a gun drawn or out and is making demands....seems to me that they are intending to use said gun whether I comply or not...I think that you should have the options , skill and willingness to do what is necessary to save the lives of yourself and your family.
With what was reported in the story...that looks to be the case here.
Andy

You have a better chance of living if you threaten me. You go after my family and all bets are off!!

Good on that guy for having the know how and training to protect his family when needed. In my book its one more worthless thug off the streets.

I'm always glad when these things work out well, like this one did. As I've stated before, my first step in my survival plan is always to get away from the threat or cover/conceal if escaping is not an option. I have to agree though, pull a gun on my kid and that's likely going to change my situation from escape to fight, fight, fight. It's one thing to go after me, my family, that's a step above and you're going to encounter serious resistance at that point.

It's too bad stories like this don't really deter bad people from doing bad things. You'd think in Texas there wouldn't be a single armed robbery, ever, since people know Texas is gun friendly. But then, stupid criminals aren't exactly the thoughtful and reflective types.

Good on the guy for keeping his composure and pulling off the draw and shot against an already drawn gun.

I assume the perp went through the normal BGC prior to using his weapon to commit a crime? :rolleyes:

Give the guy a key to the city and a parade, he took out the trash...

See, this is why I prefer my back to the wall and a visual to the door(s)... Everyone gets the once over, I'm an equal opportunity eyeballer...

How do you draw on a drawn gun?
Really fast.

Not necessarilly. It might be a situation where you are sitting in a booth or at a table and the person doesn't know you slipped your carry piece out of the holster and he moves or looks away for a second and you take your shot. Its all about awareness and knowing what you are capable of.

Situational awarness in a case like this is critical. You do something stupid and you could be the cause of your child's death. Live with that the rest of your life. o_O

I'm always glad when these things work out well, like this one did. As I've stated before, my first step in my survival plan is always to get away from the threat or cover/conceal if escaping is not an option. I have to agree though, pull a gun on my kid and that's likely going to change my situation from escape to fight, fight, fight. It's one thing to go after me, my family, that's a step above and you're going to encounter serious resistance at that point.

It's too bad stories like this don't really deter bad people from doing bad things. You'd think in Texas there wouldn't be a single armed robbery, ever, since people know Texas is gun friendly. But then, stupid criminals aren't exactly the thoughtful and reflective types.

Good on the guy for keeping his composure and pulling off the draw and shot against an already drawn gun.

But there are gun laws in Texas that I do not agree with. Cannot carry in a place of worship, also there are certain signs in Texas where you cannot carry a weapon even concealed into a place. 30.06 concerns size requirement for letters and such. Signs have the force of law in Texas if they are done correctly.

Texas Penal Code - PENAL - PENAL § 30.06 | FindLaw

Texas Penal Code - PENAL - PENAL § 30.07 | FindLaw

If the sign says " no guns allowed" and you abide by not CCW there , will the criminals abide also?
Unless there is a metal detector, I will CCW.

Strange title of the article I think.

Texas gun owner shoots, kills man trying to rob him and family at Popeyes, report says

Carlos Molina, 32, was eating dinner with his family at a Popeyes restaurant in San Antonio when Andres Herrera, 19, walked in and demanded his property, <broken link removed> .
At one point, Herrera also pointed a gun at the restaurant counter and yelled at the store's manager to stop running.
Molina then pulled out his legally-owned gun and shot Herrera "several times." Officers reportedly said the father shot in defense of a third person.

Not necessarilly. It might be a situation where you are sitting in a booth or at a table and the person doesn't know you slipped your carry piece out of the holster and he moves or looks away for a second and you take your shot. Its all about awareness and knowing what you are capable of.

Situational awarness in a case like this is critical. You do something stupid and you could be the cause of your child's death. Live with that the rest of your life. o_O

Decades ago Wife and I were eating at a nice restaurant we liked to treat ourselves to now and then. They had a couple Parrots on display with handlers and the place was an Amazon theme. We are eating lunch when 3 wanabe gang bangers looking kids stop at our table. One says "hey man that looks good,what's that cost". I looked up at him and told him to get the Fu%# away from me. He looked slightly amused for a second and some manager was on them shooing them away. Manager came back and apologized and said they had gone in the kitchen and were trying to talk to one of the servers. Chances are one was a boyfriend of server. Manager offered us a free desert which was nice. In that place those deserts cost as much as an entire meal at a fair restaurant. After we were in the car going home Wife mentioned maybe she should carry, we were newly dating then. I told her I had a gun in my hand under the table when I told them to get away from us. Her mouth about hit the seat. I said I "think" they were kids who have watched too much TV and think they are imitating tough guys they see on TV but I was not taking chances. No one saw the gun which was in a fanny pack when I pulled it out under the table. I put it back when they were run off and no one knew. I said if by chance one of them decided to pull out a weapon, if they had one, I would have just shot him before he knew what was happening. She got pretty quiet most of the rest of the way home. She did start to carry though. She had a permit I had taken her to get and a gun I had bought her, that she was up till then just leaving at home. This was a while back and things have only gotten worse since then. Now days a lot of guys like those I saw that day would be packing a gun even if they had no idea how to use the damn thing.

But there are gun laws in Texas that I do not agree with. Cannot carry in a place of worship, also there are certain signs in Texas where you cannot carry a weapon even concealed into a place. 30.06 concerns size requirement for letters and such. Signs have the force of law in Texas if they are done correctly.

Texas Penal Code - PENAL - PENAL § 30.06 | FindLaw

Texas Penal Code - PENAL - PENAL § 30.07 | FindLaw

If we had that law here, the sign would say something different to me. The sign would read to me as : Alex, we the managers and owners of this establishment DO NOT want you to spend any of your hard earned money here". I would write to the company and let them know, politely, that I read the sign and would make sure me and my family would never set foot in their place of business. It is their place of business and they should be able to welcome and turn away anyone they want. Someone else will want my money.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top