JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is going to be the first year I hunt the western Washington Modern Firearm season with a muzzle loader for part of the season (Friend has a large ammount of land in the Battle Ground unit thats firearm restricted). I plan on using a completely North West legal muzzle loader so that if it works out this year, next year I will do the regular muzzle loader season.

As far as equipment, I'm thinking a CVA Wolf Northwest (about $205 brand new) using Hodgedon pyrodex pellets and either Power Belt or Hornady bullets with CCI caps. I figure I will get about a maximum of 200 yards with 100 being the longest shot I would take on an animal.

This is the first time I will be attempting anything black powder other then shooting one a handful of times.

What else do I need or need to know? On the property I plan on hunting with it (120 acres), I plan on doing some spot and stalk and some sitting in a blind type thing.

Thanks!

Muzzle loading hunting is not much different than hunting with a modern rifle...
Sorry but I do not know much about in-lines....
That said have you thought of using a traditional muzzle loading rifle?
A traditional muzzle loading rifle has centuries of experience to show that it does indeed work....:D
Andy

Traditional does have a long history, I will give it that... I'm wanting to try modern muzzle loading to see how I like it and the seasons before I go full Daniel Boone. And if I end up hating it (which I doubt), I won't be too much money into a modern muzzle loader set up.

Well there is lots of room between using say a in-line or a Thompson Center "Hawken" and going
"full Daniel Boone" ...:D
Let me know if you need help to get yer Daniel Boone fix...
Andy
LookwhoIfound.jpg

Well there is lots of room between using say a in-line or a Thompson Center "Hawken" and going
"full Daniel Boone" ...:D
Let me know if you need help to get yer Daniel Boone fix...
Andy
View attachment 380050
Damn. That is full blown Daniel Boone. Right on. I thought about a Hawken but how would the accuracey compare to modern in line? I only say CVA because they are very affordable, in stock everywhere in Vancouver, and I know some of them use Bergara barrels, and I'm very in love with my Bergara B14.

Don't know about WA but last time I looked at OR requirements, black powder hunts called for traditional side lock open ignition muzzle loaders. Inlines have enclosed ignition so it might be good idea to check what type of black powder firearms are allowed. Good luck & keep yer powder dry!

Don't know about WA but last time I looked at OR requirements, black powder hunts called for traditional side lock open ignition muzzle loaders. Inlines have enclosed ignition so it might bea good idea to check what type of black powder firearms are allowed. Good luck & keep yer powder dry!
Washington can use any muzzleloader during modern firearm season with no restrictions, for muzzleloader only season it has to have an exposed breach, open sights, fire a 45 caliber or larger bullet, and must use caps not 209 primers.

Like anything you need to practice.
A T/C Hawken in .50-.54 caliber will get your deer , bear , elk etc ... out to 100 yards if you do your part.
Your part being load development and practice.
With my Hawken copy I'd hunt anything you care to name out to 100 yards.
I use 80 grains of 2F a .15 patch and a .530 round ball . ( its a .54 caliber rifle )
Andy
Hawken.jpg

Another great choice for a hunting arm is any of the Civil War rifled muskets.
A .58 Mine Ball or .577 bullet will take care of business.
Plus they usually have sling swivels and adjustable sights .
( not that you need those but some folks like 'em :D)
Andy

Like anything you need to practice.
A T/C Hawken in .50-.54 caliber will get your deer , bear , elk etc ... out to 100 yards if you do your part.
Your part being load development and practice.
With my Hawken copy I'd hunt anything you care to name out to 100 yards.
I use 80 grains of 2F a .15 patch and a .530 round ball . ( its a .54 caliber rifle )
Andy
View attachment 380054
Those are way less ugly then a modern in line. With a 50 caliber what are the bullet options like? Is it strictly lead ball or bullet or can I use copper stuff? The property I'm going to hunt is on well water and has a creek system running through it and they asked me not to use lead if possible.

I hunt around water and creeks all the time and lead isn't a problem...but their land , their rules.

Depending on what rifling twist you get you can use a bullet or round ball.
As a general rule a fast twist ( 1-25 and the like ) is for a bullet or conical.
A slow twist ( 1-56 , 1-66 , 1-72 etc .. ) is for round ball.
1-48 is a compromise twist that is good for both bullets and round ball.
This is not to say that you can not use a bullet in a rifle set up for round ball or visa versa ...
Some companies do make "green" or lead free bullets / round balls ... as I do not use such , I 'm not sure of who however...
Andy

From what I understand Barnes makes some kind of bullet for muzzleloading and they're lead free. But who's to say what ever rifle I get shoots that bullet well. Man, archery seems like an easier solution to my problem. But way less cool.

Don't know about WA but last time I looked at OR requirements, black powder hunts called for traditional side lock open ignition muzzle loaders. Inlines have enclosed ignition so it might be good idea to check what type of black powder firearms are allowed. Good luck & keep yer powder dry!
Bad information. Inlines with exposed ignition are legal in Oregon. From the regs:
Muzzleloader" is any single barreled (shotguns may be double barreled) longgun meant to be fired from the shoulder and loaded from the muzzle with an open ignition system and open or peep sights.This definition applies to muzzleloader-only seasons and 641B, 644A1, 644A2, 644A3, 644T1, 649B and 652T2 and includes:

open ignition in-line percussion; sidelock, under-hammer, top-hammer and mule ear percussion; sidelock flintlock and wheelock ignition systems. Matchlock ignition systems are not allowed.

Another great choice for a hunting arm is any of the Civil War rifled muskets.
Yep - the 1863 'Zouave' is a good choice (I have one) but the original, military style sights leave a lot to be desired. They are only minimally adjustable and are typically very 'rough' - especially on the European repros. A friend and I machined a dovetailed mount for the front of mine to accept a standard, tapered 'bead' style sight and I had the rear sight mount recut to a 3/8" dovetail to accept a Marbles folding style 'U' notch blade style rear.

Regardless muzzleloader shooting (and hunting) is something that requires a 'learning curve' and a lot of practice before you should even consider hunting. I (like Andy said) do not know much about the modern in-lines other than they are little more than a modern rifle designed at a bare minimum to be a 'muzzleloader' - the rest is nearly modern including closed ignition with priming using 209 shotgun primers as opposed to traditional percussion caps. About the only thing 'muzzleloading' about them is the projectile is shoved down the barrel from the muzzle.

As previously mentioned Oregon has 'stumbled' around muzzleloading rifle laws over the years and you want to make sure you are compliant in Washington as well. Not that it matters to me as I have ALWAYS shot 'traditional' but I don't believe Oregon laws are as 'inline' friendly as other states. If it were up to me it would ONLY be open sidelock with loose powder, lead only projectile (ball or conical) and traditional percussion cap or flint ignition.

Last Edited:
Joe Meek has a great story about a bear chasing him up a tree...
Jacob Fowler has one as well.
And we all know the Hugh Glass story , thanks to The Revenant :rolleyes:
Just kidding on that last one ... can't stand that movie.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads