JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Glock line is a fine line of firearms no question about it IMHO.

Several years ago a top shooter law enforcement officer friend and I decided to have "The Shootout" so to speak in the desert.

We stopped by his station and picked up a bunch of handloads that had been given to LEO's

At the time it was my Ruger MKII and his 9mm Glock

He jammed 3 times and had to pry live ammo out of his Glock while my ol' Ruger just kept on firing.

The very idea of somehow the safety is built into the trigger ie: pull the trigger and it fires is not a safety IMO, just look up "Negligence discharge".

I still have that ol' Ruger and after all these years have yet to have a failure to whatever

Now I have an M&P 22 and a Shield 9 and I can holster it without fear of snagging a trigger and shooting myself in the Arse!

I like the 17 the best. The finger grooves on the 19 are just a little bit narrower to make it uncomfortable for extended periods of holding it. Never had any issues with them. Accurate reliable. I own Glocks, Sigs, an M&P, and a 1911. Grip angle never mattered much to me. Just line up the sights as you're supposed to and grip angle takes care of itself. I shoot thumbs forward so imo the Glock grip angle actually feels the best to me in that position if I had to decide on one.

I won't own a Glock for several, personal reasons. I've shot one, just one, and while I thought it was a good shooting gun (even the grip angle didn't bother me as it's close to the Ruger 22), it's just not my kind of handgun... but I swear to God I wanna choke every Glock fanboy that says, "Cuz they go bang every time"!

Are you freakin kidding me?!?!? Every single pistol I've ever owned has done that. I am so sick of that statement I could puke!

Find something else to promote your favorite pistol. I'm sure there are more reasons that that to own a Glock, but if that's the reasoning you use, you need to be enlightened to many other reliable pistols.
Good news I hear Hi Point will have a pistol team

I had a Glock 41 and ran out of ammo one day at the range anyway all I had was beef jerky . I jammed the mag full of the jerky and shot at the target 100 yards and it shot sub moa open sights with a 20 mph cross wind. Those guns are the stuff dreams are made of lol

glocks,
must have bad barrels, everybody sell replacements
must have poor quality extractors , lotsa "upgrades" out there
must be slippery, lotsa stippling going on,

either that,or because "any idiot can use one" idiots will buy anything.

glocks,
must have bad barrels, everybody sell replacements
must have poor quality extractors , lotsa "upgrades" out there
must be slippery, lotsa stippling going on,

either that,or because "any idiot can use one" idiots will buy anything.

If you pick a common platform this is the case.

I traded an XD Service model for mine. And more than likely it'll be traded/sold for something else. Glocks are great firearms. They lack personality and frankly are a "dime a dozen" in terms of commonality. Reliable? YES! Durable? YES! Ugly? YES! And yet all the while they're crappy trigger and unconventional point angle is commonly accepted and revered as the be-all/end-all of defensive weapons. A G26 lives in my safe at this very moment, but it would be the first to move out for the right deal. Now, my 5906, my WWII 1911.....they'll live and die with me. And quite frankly, I'd stake my life on either of them just a much as a Glock. But if I had to choose one in a bad situation, I'd rather see my Glock made into paperclips after a bad guy loses than my 5906 or my 1911. So function/purpose wins in that deal.......

Anyone else have a "pecking order" as far as what tool you would use in a bad situation? Knowing that more than likely it'll be melted down after the dust settles?

First (and only) Glock I have owned was a G22 in the mid-90's. There were aspects of the platform I didn't like enough that I sold it after a year of moderate shooting. That said, their reliability doesn't seem like something I'd question and - if ergonomically it works for people - more power to them. Ultimately a person needs to decide which tool fits them best; the G22 didn't fit me but works plenty well for others.

Thread is timely. I had this discussion last night with a friend who just moved back in-country and is going to pick himself up a G17 for defense. I suggested that he try one with others, and his position was, "it's simple and it works. That's all I want."

My first Glock was a buy from a friend who had been out of work for Six straight months. He gave me a good deal, it didn't go to the Pawn Shop, and he knows it has a good home, and gets fed on a regular basis.

I bought a model 17, from Oak Grove Guns, in ~Santa Clara~ (that would be North Eugene except thems who live in Santa Clara mostly despise Eugene ;^) .... ) my 17 is a Gen 4, the other one is a Gen 2, I like them both.

Tools are Tools, I buy the best I can, knowing what they will be used for. As pointed out above, they work, You Need to do YOUR Part in that !!!

Just to stir water, I never got behind the 1911 fan club, its not John Browning, I love my Model 92 in 357 magnum... Its a Rossi, but its a John Browning Designed carbine. I just never enjoyed the weight versus "job done" I've shot Ruger Superblackhawks in 44Magnum, and liked what that was, and own a Ruger Blackhawk in 45Colt, dual cylinder 45ACP, great hand gun, 7 1/2 inch barrel, I would rather shoot that, than a 1911, just my two cents, but they are real copper units, not Zinc!

philip,
In the Boondocks shooting is a way of Life....

Originally Posted by glockman99 A few months ago I traded a nice S&W 4506 that I had customized, for a NIB Gen. 3 G21, and have never looked back or regretted the trade.

A Classic 4506 for a Glock? Yikes.

Yup...And truth be told, I am VERY happy with the G21 I received in the trade....It holds 4 rounds more ammo, is slightly lighter in weight, doesn't have the double-action/single-action trigger pulls, no manual safety lever/decocker to mess with, has less "felt recoil", and is VERY simple to take-down & service.

I do miss the 4506, as it IS a classic...BUT for a TRUE "fighting handgun", I find the G21 pretty hard to beat.

BUT for a TRUE "fighting handgun", I find the G21 pretty hard to beat.

I strongly disagree. If the Glock was a true "fighting handgun" it would have been adopted by many military forces, which it has not. (yes, there are a few)

Since you bring the "fighting handgun" into this conversation, what do many special forces of the USA use? 1911.

I do agree that the Glock is a good handgun, especially for police forces that use many officers that are not interested in handguns except for what's required on the job.

But, if I had a Glock, one of the first things I would do is set it up to shoot .357 Sig. It's one of the few pistol calibers I've seen a fair amount of ammo for recently.

I strongly disagree. If the Glock was a true "fighting handgun" it would have been adopted by many military forces, which it has not. (yes, there are a few)

Since you bring the "fighting handgun" into this conversation, what do many special forces of the USA use? 1911.

I do agree that the Glock is a good handgun, especially for police forces that use many officers that are not interested in handguns except for what's required on the job.

The reason why the Glock has not been more widely adopted is because MANY governments and/or agencies require a handgun with a manual safety, which the Glock doesn't have...It's not because the Glock is a "second rate" weapon.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top