JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just beginning my reloading journey and cannot find Large pistol primers for a decent deal for the life of me. Reloading 44mag for a Ruger Super Blackhawk.
I just got a brick of CCI 200 LRP for 8 cents a piece the other day. I know LRP are taller than LPP, so I tried seating them very firmly in some 44mag brass. They pass the rock/wiggle test on a table top. There is a VERY SLIGHT external bump/circle that formed on all four primers that I tried, I assume this is the primer anvil?

Has anyone tried this? What is your experience?

I know this is not recommended but I'm just trying to get by for now so I can finally make some ammo. If anyone has a source of LPP for less than 10 cents a piece to my door I would also appreciate that as well.

I'm amazed you found LRP for less than 100, I would hold on to those and not use them for Pistol as well.. Bi Mart had LPP's not too long ago and for a couple weeks at that. I would check on AmmoSeek.com if you're desperate. Hunt for the deals there. some will do free hazmat and or shipping..

I'd not do it. Making a LRP fit in a LPP hole would likely crush the priming compound and cause ignition problems.
Hangfires would be very likely. As would having to hit the primer twice to make it fire.

Honestly, I don't know why the large primers have a different height to them. Possibly to "prevent" using too hot of a primer in a small case?

Years ago, I got a handful of LRP in with my LPP when loading 45 ACP. Probably when switching between rifle and pistol on my progressive. It went as expected, light strikes.

Just beginning my reloading journey and cannot find Large pistol primers for a decent deal for the life of me. Reloading 44mag for a Ruger Super Blackhawk.
I just got a brick of CCI 200 LRP for 8 cents a piece the other day. I know LRP are taller than LPP, so I tried seating them very firmly in some 44mag brass. They pass the rock/wiggle test on a table top. There is a VERY SLIGHT external bump/circle that formed on all four primers that I tried, I assume this is the primer anvil?

Has anyone tried this? What is your experience?

I know this is not recommended but I'm just trying to get by for now so I can finally make some ammo. If anyone has a source of LPP for less than 10 cents a piece to my door I would also appreciate that as well.
I would trying popping some samples with no powder or projectile loaded in the case. If your firearm will set them off, it should work. You would probably want to start at the minimum book load for the powder you are using, if you load some. I have used large pistol primers in place of large rifle primers but not lrp in place of lpp

In general. It is best to follow the recipe.
Especially when using components you have not tested in your firearm and at the beginning of your journey.

LPP mags are more common than LRP at the moment. The odds are in your favor to trade.

While not addressing your question, substitute components add risk. 44mag with a full load of Hodgdon h110 or Ramshot Enforcer (my 2 favorite magnum pistol powders) and I would want to be sure my primers were 100% correct.

Try Cabelas online and look for Winchester LPP for standard or magnum loads. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/winchester-pistol-or-rifle-primers

Free ship to store.

IMO, safety is worth a few dollars more or a road trip.

I've got LPPs, PM me
This is the best option. I have had much more success locating affordable large pistol primers than large rifle primers. (Just yesterday grabbed a brick locally for $89.90 plus tax.). A lot of people are scrambling for large rifle primers and would be happy to trade. Not thrilled to pay $89.90, but was happy to have another brick on hand.

I'd not do it. Making a LRP fit in a LPP hole would likely crush the priming compound and cause ignition problems.
Hangfires would be very likely. As would having to hit the primer twice to make it fire.

Honestly, I don't know why the large primers have a different height to them. Possibly to "prevent" using too hot of a primer in a small case?
👆. Spp and Srp interchange size-wise (hardness notwithstanding) . Lpp and Lrp do not. Lrp will stand proud in a handgun case. It might jam a wheelgun. Dimensionally they are different.

👆. Spp and Srp interchange size-wise (hardness notwithstanding) . Lpp and Lrp do not. Lrp will stand proud in a handgun case. It might jam a wheelgun. Dimensionally they are different.
I have had success using Large Pistol Primers in Large Rifle Primer pockets. These were for reduced loads using fast pistol/shotgun powders. The firing pins in various rifles didn't have any problems reaching the LPPs.

When i do a trigger pull reduction job on a revolver or semiautomatic pistol i use a LRP or a SRP to check to see if i still have adequate firing pin power to ignite the primer. It has worked for me for several years.. YMMV.....

The Ruger Super Blackhawk. is a really tough gun!!!
I would buy a rifle that used those large primers then go to a sportsman's warehouse and get large pistol primers.
Not knowing where you live and what is available I'd look at ammoseek.com.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top