JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This all goes back to the good old days.
I remember them well
Well I don't really remember them that would make me guilty.
But I remember a girl told me a story .
Once and it started like this.
THIS ONE TIME AT BAND CAMP.!!+&$##(/++

I lived in Alaska from 1976 to 2002. We had a saying that if you carried a handgun for protection in Brown Bear (grizzlies on steroids) country (the western Kenai Peninsula north to around Talkeetna) you should file off the front site so when the bear took it away from you and shoved it up your arse it would be less likely to lacerate your innards. When I was hiking or fishing on the Kenai I carried a Marlin 1895 in .45/70 with Speer 400gr handloads. If i did carry a handgun it was a 7.5" Ruger Redhawk loaded with 290 gr. cast lead Keith-type semi-wadcutters. If I was hiking or fishing with my wife I carried a .22LR. I figured if a bear started making trouble I could shoot her in the leg and run like hell...

Seriously though, think about this. Handgun ammo power is measured in hundreds of ft-lbs. Rifle ammo power is measured in thousands of ft-lbs. I once shot a 175 lb. black bear that was charging me. I hit him just below the right eye with a .308 150 gr. JSP. That bullet homogenized his brain and blew out the back of his skull and traveled down his neck. I recovered the 30 gr. base of the bullet between the skin and the ribs on his right side after over 20" of penetration. He didn't stop until I'd hit him 3 more times. He was already dead, he just didn't know it.

Acording to this site you have a 97% chance of surviving a bear attack IF you are armed with a handgun . Sure I would have the 870 with slugs and buckshot but also have a backup handgun on my side. And NO hollow points ! And after reading what guides with 30+ year experence have said " even with big bore rifles shot placement is key ". So I'm not buying a special five pound Grizzly side arm. And will invest in proper ammo for the handgun I will use, test it for reliability and bring 12ga or 30/06.

Defense Against Bears with Pistols: 97% Success rate, 37 Incidents

Last Edited:
BEAR SPRAY BEST, according to the below video citing hundreds of bear charging/attacking incidents, based on studies from the NRA, U.S. Fish and Wildlife, and Field and Stream Magazine. Effective in 98% of attacks. Germane to story that started this thread: another suggestion in the video is to be sure to put bells on dogs so they are less likely to surprise a bear.

Last Edited:
My first instinct would have been to go for a head shot. Some years ago I watched cattle being processed at a slaughterhouse near Scappoose. They were dispatched with a .22 rifle, using .22 shorts. A single shot in the forehead from about six inches and they immediately dropped stone cold dead, every time.

As an aside, I chuckled when I read the part about his reaction to getting morphine: "The morphine started to hit. The world changed, and Bridger said, "Lets go!"" I suffered a 'cranial hyperextension' in a helicopter crash in Vietnam. I was in agony when I arrived at the field hospital, but soon after the first shot of the drug the heat pounding off the hospital tent suddenly felt like waves of God's love pulsing over me!

Max
I once had emergency surgery that required that I be awake during the procedure. They told me that they would administer a "pain killer and anti-anxiety medication". :rolleyes: I went from just about climbing the walls in apprehension before the shot to watching the real-time x-ray in complete fascination and total calm after. Felt a warm glow and joked around with the medical team the whole time. Completely forgot or maybe disregarded that everything had to go just right or I would die right then and there.

You guys need to stop pussyfooting around, and man up, and bring a 600 Nitro Express with you instead: :p

A friend in Alaska had one of those. It is a massive rifle. I don't recall the exact weight but it was HEAVY! When he showed me one of the cartridges I knew I didn't want to shoot it. He also had an original Viet Nam issue Iver Johnson single shot .50 BMG with a big chevron muzzle brake. That sucker weighed 35 lbs. He was about 5'6" tall and probably weighed all of 160 lbs. Go figure!

So after reading all the responses the only real offense to a bear attack is to carry any caliber you want and only one round. If a bear attacks go out like a man and use the bullet on yourself.

Don't give that SOB the satisfaction of killing you.

In black bear country I feel more than adequate with a 10mm and my G20.

I don't know if I would go in grizzly or brown bear country but if I did I would carry the largest caliber possible. With multiple weapons.
And follow the rules for a gunfight.

Rule 1. Bring a gun
Rule 2. Bring two guns
Rule3. Bring friends with guns

And I agree with the poster above, bear spray would probably do better than any firearm. Your chances of getting the animal with effective shot is far better

Black bears and grizzly bears are two completely different animals.
If you are going to be in the woods you need to be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly bear feces in order to know what you are up against.
Black bear feces are full of seeds and they smell like berries.
Grizzly bear feces are full of clothing shreds and human bone, and they smell like pepper spray...

Some of the grizzly scat may contain those little bells that hikers are advised to wear to announce to the bears that its feeding time.

The elk hunting guide killed by two grizzly bears between Jellystone and Grand Teton national parks got some spray off that apparently contained some kind of marking dye. That helped the park personnel to identify the perps. The bear spray wasn't much good to that poor bastard if the bears were killed after he was.

So after reading all the responses the only real offense to a bear attack is to carry any caliber you want and only one round. If a bear attacks go out like a man and use the bullet on yourself.

Don't give that SOB the satisfaction of killing you.

In black bear country I feel more than adequate with a 10mm and my G20.

I don't know if I would go in grizzly or brown bear country but if I did I would carry the largest caliber possible. With multiple weapons.
And follow the rules for a gunfight.

Rule 1. Bring a gun
Rule 2. Bring two guns
Rule3. Bring friends with guns

And I agree with the poster above, bear spray would probably do better than any firearm. Your chances of getting the animal with effective shot is far better
I thought 2. Was bring a rifle? And 3. Was bring friends with rifles.

Black bears and grizzly bears are two completely different animals.
If you are going to be in the woods you need to be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly bear feces in order to know what you are up against.
Black bear feces are full of seeds and they smell like berries.
Grizzly bear feces are full of clothing shreds and human bone, and they smell like pepper spray...
So what does it taste like ?

:)

Last Edited:
If you need to know, I don't need to know why you need to know. :rolleyes:
Well, it seemed like he did a pretty thorough analysis, don't you think ?
I thought that maybe he just forgot to post the taste portion of his findings.

:D

Pro Tip:
If you want to have a little taste-test fun, put some elk turds in with the chocolate coated peanuts.
It's a riot as long as you can run faster than the taste-tester.

:)

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads