JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here are a few rounds to compare your numbers to.
You'll find the 10mm falls a little short on stopping power.

IMG_0254.JPG

I carry a G20 when pig hunting loaded with Silvertips. I have attempted a coup de gras and been disappointed, so I cannot imagine with a bear. I think I will be loading up on 200 gr hard casts. FWIW, I think the 200 gr bullets will perform almost as well as the 220's but will function more reliably in MY gun... yours might be different.

D

I carry a G20 when pig hunting loaded with Silvertips. I have attempted a coup de gras and been disappointed, so I cannot imagine with a bear. I think I will be loading up on 200 gr hard casts. FWIW, I think the 200 gr bullets will perform almost as well as the 220's but will function more reliably in MY gun... yours might be different.

D
I've killed pigs with old 2 or 3 gen 9mm Silvertips and they worked fine if you put them right. They do open up pretty easy though so be aware of that..

When I am in bear country I have a rifle because I am hunting. I pack a G20 on my belt also. It is light and handy and always available. Is it as good as a larger caliber wheelgun for bears? Obviously not, but it is a good companion piece when you also have a rifle. I shoot it well and it is stoked with 200 gr Wfn hardcast. It will penetrate and kill anything in North America as long as my aim is true.

When I am in bear country I have a rifle because I am hunting. I pack a G20 on my belt also. It is light and handy and always available. Is it as good as a larger caliber wheelgun for bears? Obviously not, but it is a good companion piece when you also have a rifle. I shoot it well and it is stoked with 200 gr Wfn hardcast. It will penetrate and kill anything in North America as long as my aim is true.

There are a bunch if gel penetration videos on youtube, or at least there were and a hardcast 10mm full power bullet will penetrate amazingly well. However, I teach there are four types of "stops", electrical, hydrolic, mechanical and force of will.

An electrical stop is a brain / nervous system hit. A bears skull is a helmet of significant strength and requires a very rightous shot from a handgun. Everything else is pure luck.

Second is a hydrolic stop, or bleed out. A bear ( or most animals including humans ) can run on adrenaline for five minutes or so before they succumb to oxygen starvation. Obviously extremely dangerous until the bleed out is effective.

Third is a mechanical stop like hitting a major bone or joint. While stopped, not neutralized. Extremely dangerous up close ( or in the case if humans can still shoot a gun ).

Fourth is force of will ( I give up ) which doesn't really happen in the animal world, and humans can change their minds. Extremely dangerous situation.

So, in animals, and here we are discussing a bear attack, a handgun just isn't enough normally to keep you from getting attacked unless you score a brain hit. Penetration or not, you have about 5 minutes to ten minutes of P.O. 'ed mortally wounded andrenaline pumped up bear to deal with. 15 rounds of 10mm hardcast goodness, or even 6 rounds or 44 magnum goodness might not get the job done "instantly".

D

But it might just save my life like this story. A spine hit or possibly breaking a big shoulder bone may just buy me enough time to get to my rifle or place another more incapacitating shot with my pistol. The moral of this story to me is expect the unexpected and go down swinging.

Last Edited:
Lol I read the story .
Mmmmmm maybe if dip $#!+ Would have been a good hunting guide .
He would have known not to trust s WILD ANIMAL .
ESPECIALLY A GRIZZLY BEAR.
AND HAD THE GUN READY INSTEAD OF HIS PHONE.
AND HAD HIS GUN LOADED WITH THE RIGHT AMMO.
lol just saying I won't be hunting with him HEHEE

There are a bunch if gel penetration videos on youtube, or at least there were and a hardcast 10mm full power bullet will penetrate amazingly well. However, I teach there are four types of "stops", electrical, hydrolic, mechanical and force of will.

An electrical stop is a brain / nervous system hit. A bears skull is a helmet of significant strength and requires a very rightous shot from a handgun. Everything else is pure luck.

Second is a hydrolic stop, or bleed out. A bear ( or most animals including humans ) can run on adrenaline for five minutes or so before they succumb to oxygen starvation. Obviously extremely dangerous until the bleed out is effective.

Third is a mechanical stop like hitting a major bone or joint. While stopped, not neutralized. Extremely dangerous up close ( or in the case if humans can still shoot a gun ).

Fourth is force of will ( I give up ) which doesn't really happen in the animal world, and humans can change their minds. Extremely dangerous situation.

So, in animals, and here we are discussing a bear attack, a handgun just isn't enough normally to keep you from getting attacked unless you score a brain hit. Penetration or not, you have about 5 minutes to ten minutes of P.O. 'ed mortally wounded andrenaline pumped up bear to deal with. 15 rounds of 10mm hardcast goodness, or even 6 rounds or 44 magnum goodness might not get the job done "instantly".

D
Interesting and useful analysis. However, from what I've read, black bears will usually break off an attack if shot/hurt, but grizzlies usually don't. So you usually have to actually kill an attacking grizzly. But often merely wounding a black bear will save you. If this is true, force of will is an issue in the animal world. I suspect most animals break off an attack if they get badly hurt. Grizzlies are notorious for not doing so. Seems like that wouldn't be so if it was the norm. But it would presumably depend on the species, the individual animal, and the situation.[/QUOTE]

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top