JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've read this story a few times and have come to the conclusion that this guy isn't the smartest. Out running hunting dogs and gun isn't fully loaded...not smart. First reaction when seeing the bear fighting with his dogs, is to take a video or pic. I bet his dogs appreciated that...not smart. Not using a caliber or load that is suitable for for bear defense and placing non-lethal shots. Personally, I would never use 10mm for bear. IMO, this guy did everything wrong
I agree. He didn't even have the gun properly holstered. He just jammed it in his belt.

I'm wondering about that first attempt he made for a head shot when the gun jammed. I'm wondering whether he actually touched or pressed the bear head with the muzzle and took it out of battery. Would a Glock jam from a mere bear hair located as he describes? I thought Glocks were built loose enough to be able to fire even after being rolled in the mud, etc. Any thoughts?

I have shot hundreds of cast lead bullets down stock glock barrels. It is not an issue of accuracy it is one of leading. Leading gone unchecked can be dangerous. Proper hardness and sizing of the cast bullets will eliminate most leading issues. Gas checks and powder selection can also help eliminate leading. Carry on.

Don't believe me? Here is what BB says about it.
Hard Cast Bullets in Polygonal Barrels

I'm wondering about that first attempt he made for a head shot when the gun jammed. I'm wondering whether he actually touched or pressed the bear head with the muzzle and took it out of battery. Would a Glock jam from a mere bear hair located as he describes? I thought Glocks were built loose enough to be able to fire even after being rolled in the mud, etc. Any thoughts?
Good observation.
That makes more sense than the fur thing.

I have shot hundreds of cast lead bullets down stock glock barrels. It is not an issue of accuracy it is one of leading. Leading gone unchecked can be dangerous. Proper hardness and sizing of the cast bullets will eliminate most leading issues. Gas checks and powder selection can also help eliminate leading. Carry on.

Don't believe me? Here is what BB says about it.
Hard Cast Bullets in Polygonal Barrels
Good read, thanks. Learned a bit.

I've shot plenty of lead out of poly barrels no problems.
I did see a Hickok45 video using some BB heavy cast out of a 10 Glock and they tumbled like crazy.. meaning the twist was wrong for those slugs.

My first instinct would have been to go for a head shot. Some years ago I watched cattle being processed at a slaughterhouse near Scappoose. They were dispatched with a .22 rifle, using .22 shorts. A single shot in the forehead from about six inches and they immediately dropped stone cold dead, every time.

As an aside, I chuckled when I read the part about his reaction to getting morphine: "The morphine started to hit. The world changed, and Bridger said, "Lets go!"" I suffered a 'cranial hyperextension' in a helicopter crash in Vietnam. I was in agony when I arrived at the field hospital, but soon after the first shot of the drug the heat pounding off the hospital tent suddenly felt like waves of God's love pulsing over me!

Max

I bought a Glock 20 over 10 years ago, mostly for carrying in the woods. This story was a very interesting study in what can happen when you really need that tool, and I'm glad that I both carry with a magazine full, and use copper jacketed bullets. I have to say that gun I a Gunfighters Inc kydex holster gives me a lot more peace of mind when I'm out in the central Washington mountains hiking with my kids.

All I reading was, man buys Glock, almost dies in Bear Attack.
Surprised Bear, didn't bite that plastic crap in half.
Ok please send hate mail to.......DH care of NWFA, Oregon. USA.

Seriously, I wont and don't own a Glock, but if you are gonna go bear up, maybe get a real gun ?:p:p:rolleyes:

Ok i'm done, umm so was he almost, after buying a Glock......:rolleyes:

Moral of this story should be noted to all guest at NWFA, on a serious note, Naturalist with no gun gets eatin by Cougar.
Man with a firearm lives to put the bears head on a platter..... lesson over...but hey cant tell a tree hugger that, as they would rather be lunch.

Moral of this story should be noted to all guest at NWFA, on a serious note, Naturalist with no gun gets eatin by Cougar.
Man with a firearm lives to put the bears head on a platter..... lesson over...but hey cant tell a tree hugger that, as they would rather be lunch.
Alternate moral: Not everyone likes being photographed.

Instead of getting a choad piercing or something lame I woulda left the bear head chomped on my ankle after they cut it off with a pocketknife.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top