JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yikes! What a story. And he definitely needed better ammo than what he was carrying. Some Underwood Extreme Penetrators or their hard cast slugs would have done a much better job. Even still, makes a guy think that's for sure.

I think 9/10 10mm factory loads make .40 power so might as well a had a 9mm with good ammo.

and rocket science time.!..

."When a New Mexico hunting guide reportedly found himself the target of a bear, he dropped his phone and reached for his pistol. It would turn out to be one of the best decisions he ever made.".

lol duh

Never count on a 10mm to do a 44mags job.That was some colorful writing:D

They even make .44s in automatic form these days. What will they think of next? :D

444257-07f5b0bbf2cdd073f4efdf054fa444a7.jpg

More seriously, wow, what a harrowing event. Not pleasant anyway you slice it, but good the fellow survived the encounter.

A major part of the problem was, is that he was using 175 grain HornadyCritical Duty FlexLock loads. They are an expanding self defense load, not really suitable for bear. Hard cast, heavy for caliber LBTs(Lead Bullet Technology), loaded hot is what you want. They will shoot through both shoulders of a bear and shut it down. They can also penetrate skull or spine and end an encounter pretty quick. He's pretty lucky to be alive.

Seriously though.... you would think a gun owner would know better than to underload their bear guns mag for the spring fatigue myth, let alone buy a bear gun and load it with hollowpoints. Lesson learned, he still has a cooler story to tell than any of us.

A couple months back my neighbor finally connected with an old boar he'd be chasing around for a couple years. Dressed out at 360 lbs, pretty good size coastal black bear. He got it on the trail-cam multiple times over the last few years.

His dad had chambered up a 6.5 Creed for him and he was packing it the day he got the bear. Shooting 140 gn something or other. It was one of those warm spring days where the air doesn't move and shade is the only place you really want to be. He's quietly walking along an old grass covered cat road with some 30ish yo reprod lining both sides when out walks ol Slewfoot (that's what they called him) at about 40 yards. He takes the shot through the chest and down goes ol Slewfoot and up he gets. Another shot put him back down but he got right back up. That goes on for the 4 shots in the mag and then 4 more in the other mag before he's done getting back up. The dang bear never went more than a yard the whole time. There was never any danger of a charge, seems like the bear never really figured out what was going on. All the shots connected into vitals, just shows how tough they can be. I don't know what bullet he was shooting or the specs on the charge.

Same guy that got the big cat this summer. They have a youtube channel called Northwest Wild and Free if you want to check it out. They have vid of the bear recovery but not of the shooting though they did get the cat on vid.

They latest one is shooting pigeons behind my house, they are THICK this year. Elderberries are being decimated. I shot 'em up last year but haven't shot any this year.

Well this should drive the point home not to carry hollow points in the woods. Ball would be better than HPs. But you might as well do it right. Espesically if you carry a light for bear pistol like I do.

large_388_24L_Large.png 248742.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews