JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I could never get the Buffalo bore 220 gr hardcast loads to be reliable or accurate out of my Glock 20. I now use a 200 gr wfn hardcast in a stout hanload it is much more accurate and cycles reliably with no failures.

Its not just that he wasnt carrying deep penetrating bear loads. Its that he didnt go for head shots. In handgun against grizzly, only a head or spine shot is likely to incapacitate instantly so you don't get chewed up and maybe killed while the bear dies.

Without a follow up necropsy it Is all conjecture but the bullet he used definitely limited penetration. It is hard to say whether some shots may have reached the bears cns had they been of a better design.

I've read this story a few times and have come to the conclusion that this guy isn't the smartest. Out running hunting dogs and gun isn't fully loaded...not smart. First reaction when seeing the bear fighting with his dogs, is to take a video or pic. I bet his dogs appreciated that...not smart. Not using a caliber or load that is suitable for for bear defense and placing non-lethal shots. Personally, I would never use 10mm for bear. IMO, this guy did everything wrong

Wow! As the old mountain man Jim Bridger allegedly said to Hugh Glass who recovered from a Grizzly attack, "You got the hair of the bear in ya". It seems so does this guy. Great article. Thanks.

I could never get the Buffalo bore 220 gr hardcast loads to be reliable or accurate out of my Glock 20. I now use a 200 gr wfn hardcast in a stout hanload it is much more accurate and cycles reliably with no failures.
I've read in a review that Glock recommends not shooting lead hard casts through their factory barrels and also the Buffalo Bore page recommends using a stiffer recoil spring of at least 21lbs in the Glock, to achieve advertised velocities. Could be the reason behind the inconsistencies?

I've read in a review that Glock recommends not shooting lead hard casts through their factory barrels and also the Buffalo Bore page recommends using a stiffer recoil spring of at least 21lbs in the Glock, to achieve advertised velocities.
I tied the BB ammo out of two aftermarket barrels as well as the factory barrel with dismal results. I also have a 22# spring. The glock warning is for those that don't pay enough attention to what leading looks like in a barrel and the causes of it.

I've read in a review that Glock recommends not shooting lead hard casts through their factory barrels
Yep, supposedly Glock's polygonal rifling does not do well with lead bullets.
Gen 5 is supposed to have conventional rifling, but no 10mm Gen 5 yet.

and also the Buffalo Bore page recommends using a stiffer recoil spring of at least 21lbs in the Glock, to achieve advertised velocities.
That I could see, to protect the frame.
I didn't know that the recoil spring affected velocity.

I tied the BB ammo out of two aftermarket barrels as well as the factory barrel with dismal results. I also have a 22# spring. The glock warning is for those that don't pay enough attention to what leading looks like in a barrel and the causes of it.
Good to know. I'd probably stay away from the BB in my Glock then. The BB rounds work like a dream in my big framed Ruger revolver.

Good to know. I'd probably stay away from the BB in my Glock then. The BB rounds work like a dream in my big framed Ruger revolver.
They also make a 200 gr hardcast load that is probably gtg but I have not tested it. The 220 gr has marginal stability in a stock length G20 barrel. A G40 or a longer aftermarket barrel in a G20 may help stabilize the heavier bullet. As far as feeding problems, I never tried to diagnose because of their inaccuracy.

They also make a 200 gr hardcast load that is probably gtg but I have not tested it. The 220 gr has marginal stability in a stock length G20 barrel. A G40 or a longer aftermarket barrel in a G20 may help stabilize the heavier bullet. As far as feeding problems, I never tried to diagnose because of their inaccuracy.
The 200gr BB is FMJ
Betcha that might shoot out of a G20 OK
7f753a92ca52f5a1981c75992654c4dc.jpg

I've read in a review that Glock recommends not shooting lead hard casts through their factory barrels and also the Buffalo Bore page recommends using a stiffer recoil spring of at least 21lbs in the Glock, to achieve advertised velocities. Could be the reason behind the inconsistencies?

And that's a good reminder for Sig owners with polygonal rifling. No bare lead. I think the 2022 has normal riflng so that's an option, for me anyway.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top