JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok, aging sucks. I had Lasik about 10 years ago, but I'm finding myself needing glasses again.
Flash back to 20 years ago. Got glasses and all was well shooting my rifles.
Then came the pistols. Where I once was able to hit anything I shot at, suddenly I couldn't hit the inside of a telephone booth if I was locked in it. Sight picture was beautiful, target in focus, bullets going anywhere but where I wanted them.
Then I took my glasses off. Back to nailing anything I shot at. Put glasses back on, my target was safe agsin. Was told that I needed to find an optometrist that was a shooter and have glasses made for shooting. Never did, due to chronic broke-bubblegum syndrome, I just wore the glasses to spot game, then took them off to shoot game.

The point: anybody know a gun friendly optometrist in the salem area where I could get one of these mythical shooters prescriptions?
If you are talking iron sights, you can get drugstore glasses that will work.
If you know your reading glasses diopter just try glasses about a 0.50 weaker.
The front sight will be crystal clear.

You can't take your gun to the drugstore to try different power glasses...I take a common pin with a red plastic bead on it.
Measure the distance from your eye to the front sight and when you go to the store stick that pin in the display, back away to that distance, and try different power glasses until you see the pinhead crystal clear.
OK, both the rear sight/target will be fuzz balls, but the front site will be clear...and you might need to change your glasses to load the gun or adjust the sights
:s0113:
Try it, what's to loose...$5-$10
:D

I shoot better with my glasses on but do not really wear them for anything else except night driving in areas I'm not familiar with - I can see better detail further away with them then without.

Or you could try contacts. I use them instead of glasses and I have no issues shooting whatsoever. Makes it easier to use scopes, binos, spotting scopes, etc. as well.

About 8 years ago I got multi-focal contact lenses for riding ATVs. I used to have 20-10 vision but when I was about 42 - 45 I started with reading glasses. 10 years later I needed reading & driving glasses and trying to ride an ATV, even with goggles made to fit over glasses was a pain. My eye doc prescribed multi-focal contacts & they worked great.

About 14 months ago when I was 62 I was diagnosed with cataracts & they were bad enough insurance paid for them. I forked over an additional $3000 to get corrective lenses & for 6+ months I could read tiny print as well as see long distance but now I use 1-power cheaters for reading. This was expected - I told the Dr I'd rather have better distance vision & I'm able to shoot pistols again. Prior to the surgery it was put on reading glasses to find the gun, put on my driving glasses to see the target 50 ft away & hope I hit something. Before surgery I used rifle scopes & just adjusted the diopter. I got pretty good even at long distances but with handguns? Not so much. Now I'm at an acceptable medium although I haven't fired any of my rifles for a while.

A caveat about having your natural lenses replaced with artificial - it can cause headlights to look like stars at night. I stopped driving in poorly lit areas of town at night although the freeway doesn't bother me much. Apparently this is a common side effect.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top