JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, aging sucks. I had Lasik about 10 years ago, but I'm finding myself needing glasses again.
Flash back to 20 years ago. Got glasses and all was well shooting my rifles.
Then came the pistols. Where I once was able to hit anything I shot at, suddenly I couldn't hit the inside of a telephone booth if I was locked in it. Sight picture was beautiful, target in focus, bullets going anywhere but where I wanted them.
Then I took my glasses off. Back to nailing anything I shot at. Put glasses back on, my target was safe agsin. Was told that I needed to find an optometrist that was a shooter and have glasses made for shooting. Never did, due to chronic broke-bubblegum syndrome, I just wore the glasses to spot game, then took them off to shoot game.

The point: anybody know a gun friendly optometrist in the salem area where I could get one of these mythical shooters prescriptions?

Wish I could help... I can't remember life before glasses, so maybe I had it easier.

Won't help with pistols, but for iron-sight railed rifles Diamondheads are supposed to be good for weak eyes. (Without glasses, my good eye is 20/400 if that tells you anything; I was forced into high-index lenses because they couldn't make Coke-bottles strong enough without them being heavy enough to break my nose.)

Good luck!

Or you could try contacts. I use them instead of glasses and I have no issues shooting whatsoever. Makes it easier to use scopes, binos, spotting scopes, etc. as well.

Yes and thanks for reminding me!
That I need to stop by and pick up my SPORT scrip.

I had a work pair done and a shooting one . He is in west salem and I will pm you his name later today.
I need to find his card to get the spelling right.

He is a good guy and took extra time and understands as he hunts also.

WEST SALEM VISION CENTER.
Ask the from desk for the doctor that is the hunter /shooter. That's what I did....

Last Edited:
Yes and thanks for reminding me!
That I need to stop by and pick up my SPORT scrip.

I had a work pair done and a shooting one . He is in west salem and I will pm you his name later today.
I need to find his card to get the spelling right.

He is a good guy and took extra time and understands as he hunts also.

WEST SALEM VISION CENTER.
Ask the from desk for the doctor that is the hunter /shooter. That's what I did....

I also appreciate the tip. Am due for a check.

Thanks!

Ok, aging sucks. I had Lasik about 10 years ago, but I'm finding myself needing glasses again.
Flash back to 20 years ago. Got glasses and all was well shooting my rifles.
Then came the pistols. Where I once was able to hit anything I shot at, suddenly I couldn't hit the inside of a telephone booth if I was locked in it. Sight picture was beautiful, target in focus, bullets going anywhere but where I wanted them.
Then I took my glasses off. Back to nailing anything I shot at. Put glasses back on, my target was safe agsin. Was told that I needed to find an optometrist that was a shooter and have glasses made for shooting. Never did, due to chronic broke-bubblegum syndrome, I just wore the glasses to spot game, then took them off to shoot game.

The point: anybody know a gun friendly optometrist in the salem area where I could get one of these mythical shooters prescriptions?

Don't know if it will help with you but. I long ago stared needing bi focal. In a short time I was having a hell of a time with the peep type sights on my PCC's at indoor. I was fine outside but in any low light it was getting bad. Then even iron sights got to be bad. Started going to Red Dots where I could. Then got pair of progressive focal's. I had never bothered as I did not care about the line and thought it was just for "looking nice". Well for me at least I was wrong. I suddenly could shoot in low light again. Soon got to where if I put my old glasses on with the line it's a real PITA. So if anyone needs Bifocal's and are having trouble try the progressives.

I wear glasses to correct nearsightedness, and astigmatism. I can't wear them when shooting iron sights because the front sight is out of focus. But, I can wear them with red dot sights, and scopes that have an adjustable focus eyepiece to compensate for glasses.

IMG_5302.JPG

I wear glasses to correct nearsightedness, and astigmatism. I can't wear them when shooting iron sights because the front sight is out of focus. But, I can wear them with red dot sights, and scopes that have an adjustable focus eyepiece to compensate for glasses.

View attachment 330421

The adjustable focus eyepiece is a must for me. Reddots look like snowflakes to me unless I wear glasses. I would love to have some special shooting glasses for iron sights. Good luck.

View attachment 330421

I wear glasses just to drive and watch TV. And night time driving, glasses are a must. they are progressives. My problem at the range is, with the glasses on I can see the target a 50' fine, but not the sights. So I don't wear them because I can see the bulls eye good enough and the sights are clear.

Bullseye shooting at the range (muzzleloader rifle & pistol) I will occasionally use a Merit Optical Disc. Brings everything into focus and just suction cups to my glasses. Not real useful in low light conditions and pretty much limited to paper targets on the range.
You can test the theory using a piece of tape with a pinhole in it strategically placed on your glasses so you sight thru the pinhole.

At the risk of throwing the "T" word out here, I find it's not tactically advantageous to lift my chin enough with progressive (another word I hate) bifocals to bring the front sight into sharp focus. But that's exactly what I do when I'm at the indoor range trying to make all my .22 fit through the same hole.

Luckily I can shoot clays with or without glasses (though I can't read the ammo box without them). Peep sights seem to work with glasses, and red/green dot optics are great for fast action shooting, with or without. I don't own any laser beams.

For EDC proficiency, I practice quick combat point and shoot since that would most likely be the required skillset in an actual SHTF scenario.

No argument here... getting old SUCKS!

Bullseye shooting at the range (muzzleloader rifle & pistol) I will occasionally use a Merit Optical Disc. Brings everything into focus and just suction cups to my glasses. Not real useful in low light conditions and pretty much limited to paper targets on the range.
You can test the theory using a piece of tape with a pinhole in it strategically placed on your glasses so you sight thru the pinhole.

That's a great idea! I'm going to make one I can slide down over my glasses lens for slow, deliberate .22 work.

Talk to your optometrist. I had a Dr ask me about guns once and before I went off on him, he explained that he could adjust my prescription a smile to improve my use of iron sights. Something about adjusting the range of the lens. Worked well for me :)

Me, but I retired last year.... sorry!

I also would call West Salem as mentioned above and talk to them.

I use monovision contacts. I can see forever far away, but nothing up close.
I wear a contact in my left (shooting)eye that is set at a little half of my
reading power (readers +2.25, contact +1.50). I don't need anything in
the other eye for distance. This allows me to see the sights perfectly.

Might be an option for you if you are interested in contacts. Takes a little
getting used to, and a little experimentation to find correct power, but
I highly recommend it.

Welcome the the world of presbyopia!

I normally wear contacts (and they work perfectly for shooting) but an ulcer in my right (dominant) eye kept me in glasses for the past couple weeks... For whatever reason I couldn't shoot rifles with my glasses on- focusing on the front sight causes the barrel to look curved through my current prescription, making it impossible to line my sights up correctly! Pistol sights are ok for some reason, but I still had to use Kentucky Windage to hit the bullseye at any distance beyond 10 yards.
I'm definitely going to invest in a pair or prescription shooting glasses for when I can't wear my contacts.
In your case I would definitely check out the contact lens option.

Talk to your optometrist. I had a Dr ask me about guns once and before I went off on him, he explained that he could adjust my prescription a smile to improve my use of iron sights. Something about adjusting the range of the lens. Worked well for me :)

Patient: "Guns? You ask me about guns? Just who the hell do you think you are? You sniveling liberal, un-patriotic douchewagon! Gathering my personal information, which is none of your damn business, so you can report to your network, which goes straight to Skeletor Pelosi and all her evil anti-2A gestapo!"

Doctor: "Actually, I'm a duck hunter and steel shooter, and there are some cool options we can explore depending on your weapons of choice."

Patient: "Oh well, yeah... Sorry about that douchewagon thing..."

Last Edited:
With my Tri-Focals the biggest problem is my glasses creep. :(
Also, the recoil knocks my glasses cock-eyed for a second shot (if I need it), :eek:
I've found using one of those elastic "Sport Bands" when I'm hunting keeps them in place.:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top