JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Primers are definitely available, but invariably small -- small rifle, small pistol. Olin and Vista are still starving the market of large primers; large rifle and large rifle magnum. After three years and running I think we can take off the rosy glasses and put an end to the pretense that this is due to "supply chain" issues. This is designed starvation.
Any thoughts on why LRP & LRPM's?

Most assault weapons like the AR15 use SRP's.

Of course the democraps are behind the imposed shortage.
Yes, but how are they influencing the shortage?

Unless they (the democraps) are materially involved with the production, distribution and marketing of primers how can they have an influence on the shortages?

I am NOT defending or supporting dems, just wondering how they can have an influence on this.

Yes, but how are they influencing the shortage?

Unless they (the democraps) are materially involved with the production, distribution and marketing of primers how can they have an influence on the shortages?

I am NOT defending or supporting dems, just wondering how they can have an influence on this.
They don't have to be materially involved with production, distribution, or marketing, but they can certainly impact all of those in a big way. All we can do is guess, but if I were a nefarious Democrat in charge of destroying the market for guns and ammunition I could:
  • Send IRS agents to manufacturers, not so much to audit, but to let them know they could be audited
  • Drop indirect hints and suggestions to industry lobbyists about how they "could do better"
  • Put an emphasis on OSHA inspections so that manufacturers knew they were being watched more regularly
  • Work to increase military purchases of ammunition and steer manufacturing capacity away from civilians
  • Work with state and local officials same as above, but also for more inspection of gun/ammo storage and transportation
  • Have all federal and state agencies involved in regulation of gun/ammo manufacturing start working on more federal rules
  • Engage public information campaigns about dangers of guns, of ammunition storage in homes, ammo health hazards (e.g., lead)
  • Have public health officials study societal health impacts from guns as well as (like above) health impacts from ammunition
  • Impose importation barriers, or at least higher costs, for ammunition and components from abroad
  • Work with Congress, state legislatures, and local officials to impose higher taxes on guns, ammunition, and ammunition components
  • Outlaw certain kinds of ammunition unless granted a special license from ATF (e.g., anything above .308 caliber)
  • Impose quantity limitations on both gun ownership and ammunition storage in a residential structure
  • Increase hunting fees and similarly negative regulatory impacts in order to undermine a primary driver of gun culture in America
  • Impose licensing requirements on gun ownership, on gun possession, on ammunition even
  • Make both gun manufacture and ammunition reloading illegal without a special license from ATF
  • Find reasons to close National Forests and other federal and/or state lands to hunting
I'm just doing some quick spit-balling here, and of course almost all of these nefarious options would be fought in court, but you get the idea: find ways to attack gun culture, components of guns and ammunition, guns themselves, and manufactuers. Then wrap the whole thing in public information campaigns to make the ignorant public think Democrats are doing the right thing.

Yes, primers are available now in very limited supply in some areas.
Are you okay with paying two to three times the price compared to what they were 4 years ago?
I'm hoping supply will return to normal and drive prices down, but I have no way of knowing.
The price has stabilized, this is probably the new norm. I hope not, but afraid it is.
Primers available in limited supply?? I just bought 12K SPP

Well, I wouldn't say just about anything - and not near the degree of in the past.

Last time I was in SW there were just a few bottles of powder on a small shelf. Same in Bi Mart, and I have not seen any of the once common powders such as Tite Group, Bullseye, Unique in a couple years. Primers are available but not all styles, and what they have are just a few stacks - no bricks.

My point being I cannot imagine as many getting into reloading now, as say in the past decades and the mfgs of reloading equipment must be feeling the effects.
All depends on where you look. No Bricks?? Just bought 12K SPP.

Small Pistol primers were the first thing to show after the famine. If you couldn't find 'em, you weren't looking.

Riddle me this: Why is Hornady able to offer almost their complete line of bullets (except for .257 stuff that I want), and every other bullet mfr cannot get up and running since the famine?

I am fully aware of global conflict increases that dramatically affect ammunition/component supplies domestically.

But why is Hornady outstripping all other bullet makers toward filling the shelves???

American Reloading has been been a good source of primers lately. The price is about 7¢ each and that is with free shipping and Hazmat. Fiocchi primers are good. I've used both the SP and SR with no issues.

Better to have and not need than need and not have.
I've used Fiocchi small pistol primers recently. They worked well, no issues.
But even at 7 cents each (which is the cheapest I've been able to find) that's still more than twice what it was just a few years ago.
I've still got a few bricks left but they won't last forever. Looks like American Reloading may be getting some of my money soon.

The price increases and shortages will continue until morale improves.

Welcome, my Son. Welcome.

To the machine.
The crown is not happy with the peasants!

IMG_0943.jpeg

I think prices have stabilized, I don't see them dropping much more. I think this is the new pricing.

I just bought a whole bunch of stuff, hopefully hold me off for couple years.

Powder might get really expensive with the coming shortage
Recently noticed that powder prices have gone up. I call it substantially? I'll say, a month ago +/-, TiteGroup could be had for $34.00ish/lb on line. Now, today, at Mid South it's $40.00. I also noted that Sta-bal 6.5 has gone up to $50.00 ($49.99). I just bought the last bottle of that Sta-bal 6.5 at my Bimart for $38.99. That looks like gouging, to me, by companies that don't maintain brick and mortar store fronts. Though, it's possible that next time Bimart gets powder it will be the "New" price I suppose.

Shopping for deals may help the die hard reloaders and there are some out there. Myself I won't be buying unless it's a great deal. $50 +hazmat+ shipping for a pound of unique is more than I am willing to pay. Of course the price is going up more but I won't buy today.

I can load a little over 1000 44 specials with a pound of unique but why shoot them up and have to buy at inflated prices. 22 lr is just as fun.

The price has stabilized, this is probably the new norm. I hope not, but afraid it is.
Primers available in limited supply?? I just bought 12K SPP
You let us know when you find bricks of large rifle primers for sale. I have heard of a few trays of 100 being bought here and there but in my travels I have not seen any for sale except some cci 34's I bought a year ago. I am not sure why the squeeze on lrp but I hope they show up sooner than later.

Recently noticed that powder prices have gone up. I call it substantially? I'll say, a month ago +/-, TiteGroup could be had for $34.00ish/lb on line. Now, today, at Mid South it's $40.00. I also noted that Sta-bal 6.5 has gone up to $50.00 ($49.99). I just bought the last bottle of that Sta-bal 6.5 at my Bimart for $38.99. That looks like gouging, to me, by companies that don't maintain brick and mortar store fronts. Though, it's possible that next time Bimart gets powder it will be the "New" price I suppose.
As of this morning, Titegroup is $273 at Midsouth, took a big jump.

IMR4350 is $462

Accurate LT30 is $477

I just noticed that BLC-(2) is up to $50 a pound, WTF? Other powders like Retumbo and H1000 up to $70 per pound. This is madness!
Madness is right. Olin and Vista are in for a rude awakening when they realize their extreme greed killed the goose that has been laying their golden eggs. Powders are just as bad. Up well beyond 100% in three years.
Remember those disingenuous YouTube videos by Jason Vanderbrink, CEO of Vista who kept pedaling "patriotism" spew while screwing customers? Now Vista has been purchased by a European firm out of Czech Republic, CSG. And he's still spewing the "patriotism" crap on YouTube. Ain't that lovely.
What would be truly patriotic is rational pricing so that American gun sports and reloading do not go the way of the Dodo Bird. I'm not holding my breath...

As of this morning, Titegroup is $273 at Midsouth, took a big jump.

IMR4350 is $462

Accurate LT30 is $477
Not a Vihtavouri guy as it has seemed more expensive over the years. Looking now, seems Vihtavouri is pretty much the same price as has been. While everything else has jumped lately.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top