JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This isn't in your list, but I'd get some american eagle (made by federal) 38gr. hollow points. I just bought some at Cabela's yesterday. It works great in all of my semi auto's.. From my 10-22's to my Ruger mkII pistols. They are sold in bricks of 400 for $24.99.....
I'll second that... I used to have a Colt M4ops 22lr ( made by Umerex) and it was Extremely ammo picky. It never even hiccuped with the American Eagle 38 grain HPs, nor has anything else i've put them through... Great 22 or ammo. strange that it's only 40/400 to a box/brick, but still inexpensive.

Geco Standard works for me...

Five shots - 50m in a 53-y/o Anschutz Model 1409.

View attachment 374664

Thanks for saving my CZ452 the 10 ring. All 9s... . That el do...:)

5 shots
P1010230.JPG

Out of the choices, the 40gr automatch has been the more consistent in our 10/22's & SR22.

@F2CMaDMaXX , if you have a chance, maybe pick up just one box to see how it does for you? Cabelas lists it at $20 for the 325 pack, so $.0615/rd. Website says they have it in store in Tualatin (wouldn't actually trust that though).

However Fishermans Tigard may have it at similar price (maybe $22?). Might even have your other choices, before buying a case of whatever.

If you were down Albany way fri/sat we'd let you try some out. Think we might have 3 of the 4.

Edit: yup we do.

IMG_0559.JPG

Last Edited:
I'm not very well versed on .22lr so i wondered what people would choose from the following choices.

1) Federal 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose Range Pack
2) Federal AutoMatch 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose
3) Federal Champion Target 22 Long Rifle Ammo High Velocity 40 Grain LRN
4) Federal Premium Field Pack 22 Long Rifle Ammo 38 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point
Whichever one made the best sense, money-wise.

Looks gootentight, just the way I like it. I was testing some of the cheaper Eley target ammo out and it worked dang near as good as my favorite SK standard.

I had to go up 6 clicks on my scope for zero. Big difference compared to high velocity stuff. I took five to zero and warm up the rifle. Then she put 15 rounds straight , into the 10 ring. With a bit of wind today. ..22s rule :D

Crazy pic, looks much better live.
IMG_1229.JPG
IMG_1227.JPG

Last Edited:
I was able to acquire Aguila just before the tight supply jam began loosening; I've been very impressed with it for my old High Standards; they like SV 40 lead.

For 10/22 they all seem to work fine; and Federal was a long term go-to for me of whatever flavor.

Pretty much whatever shoots well out of your gun is what you should be looking at.

My 10/22 likes CCI Blazer, Mini-Mags the best. But I also use Remington Golden Bullets, Remington Sub-Sonics. When .22lr was harder to find a few years ago I found some Gemtech (made by CCI) and Aquila SuperExtra which were fine too.

I've got some CCI Quiet HP segmented on it's way, I'm hoping it groups well. Even though it won't cycle my 10/22 I can do the manual cycle thing.

For whatever it's worth a guy on Youtube called 22plinkster likes the Federal Champion Target 22 Long Rifle Ammo High Velocity 40 Grain LRN.

I have a few .22's. I have them because they are fun and affordable. They are also good for kids and people new to the shooting sports. I have found that it's best to take as large a selection of brands and types as possible when you go out with a "new to you" .22. For instance, I have two 10/22's and they like very different ammo. For me, I've found that each .22 has a favorite ammo that shoots better than the rest.

Was out shooting my 1969 Glenfield (Marlin) Model 60 and was having some extraction problems with my new CCI Mini-Mags. Switched to some 1977 Mini-Mags and it got way better. Tried some Federal Champions and had no extraction problems. I have almost always used Mini-Mags, but the Federal seemed to shoot better and more accurately than the new CCI Mini-Mags. I am going to hoard my supply of old Mini-Mags though.

CCI Mini-Mags or stingers in the S&W M&P 15-22. Haven't tried the Aguila that Bi-Mart is selling here for $45 a freakin' brick! Had my best eject failures with Golden and Thunderbolts with that gun.

Out of the choices, the 40gr automatch has been the more consistent in our 10/22's & SR22.

@F2CMaDMaXX , if you have a chance, maybe pick up just one box to see how it does for you? Cabelas lists it at $20 for the 325 pack, so $.0615/rd. Website says they have it in store in Tualatin (wouldn't actually trust that though).

However Fishermans Tigard may have it at similar price (maybe $22?). Might even have your other choices, before buying a case of whatever.

If you were down Albany way fri/sat we'd let you try some out. Think we might have 3 of the 4.

Edit: yup we do.

View attachment 374841

If you find you like the Fed AM this is a great place to buy it if you have trouble fining it.
Academy Sports + Outdoors | Quality Sporting Goods | Top Hunting, Fishing & Outdoor Gear
Stuff is $19 a box and ships free. Just looked and they still have a limit on it of one box and you have to spend $25 to get the free ship so you would need to toss in something else. I was buying .22 ammo from this place all through the shortage \ panic. I often wondered how they could make a profit on it with the free ship.

Pretty much whatever shoots well out of your gun is what you should be looking at.

My 10/22 likes CCI Blazer, Mini-Mags the best. But I also use Remington Golden Bullets, Remington Sub-Sonics. When .22lr was harder to find a few years ago I found some Gemtech (made by CCI) and Aquila SuperExtra which were fine too.

I've got some CCI Quiet HP segmented on it's way, I'm hoping it groups well. Even though it won't cycle my 10/22 I can do the manual cycle thing.

For whatever it's worth a guy on Youtube called 22plinkster likes the Federal Champion Target 22 Long Rifle Ammo High Velocity 40 Grain LRN.
During the great panic I bought a box of that Quiet by CCI to see what it would do. In my MKIII and MKII it of course would not cycle but it works great. Does not throw the bolt enough to cause a jam so it's fire, cycle fire. It is scary accurate in both pistols. Stuff is quiet enough that if you lived where it was safe to use on pests but you don't want to get neighbors going about noise it would work great. I later bought a brick of it for in case. Have a new MKIV on the way. Looking forward to see if it likes this stuff too.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top