JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to find a scope for my sks and not sure which one to choose. (Don't worry the rail I'm using is reversable dont want to make it a sporter). I've looking at Athalons line of scope and was thinking a 1-4x magnification talos btr or a or a 3-9 magnification scope. Thoughts?

SKS rifles have inherent accuracy limitations. In my experience 3 to 4 MOA is about the best you can expect. A 3-9x is too much scope, it will add bulk and weight, make it awkward to carry but won't tighten groups. I think a small 3x scope or red dot optic is a better fit.

I want to find a scope for my sks and not sure which one to choose. (Don't worry the rail I'm using is reversable dont want to make it a sporter). I've looking at Athalons line of scope and was thinking a 1-4x magnification talos btr or a or a 3-9 magnification scope. Thoughts?
I have an AIM 4x30 on my SKS around 500 rnds no problems, approx $40 on line.

SKS rifles have inherent accuracy limitations. In my experience 3 to 4 MOA is about the best you can expect. A 3-9x is too much scope, it will add bulk and weight, make it awkward to carry but won't tighten groups. I think a small 3x scope or red dot optic is a better fit.
^^^100%

I used a fixed 4x scope on one of my Norinco rifles for years and it worked quite well. Any more magnification than that seems unnecessary though, and I imagine that lower magnification (2x or 3x) would also probably be a good bet for the SKS.

thank i was already leaning towards a smaller magnfication scope

My SKS must be a rare rifle. 30 years ago when my eyes were in better shape I shot a target and put 5 shots into an inch at 112 yards with norinco ammo with the iron sights. Wouldn't claim to be able to do it today but I did it once. Haven't shot it at a paper target since then but it never fails to hit what I shoot at.

My SKS must be a rare rifle. 30 years ago when my eyes were in better shape I shot a target and put 5 shots into an inch at 112 yards with norinco ammo with the iron sights. Wouldn't claim to be able to do it today but I did it once. Haven't shot it at a paper target since then but it never fails to hit what I shoot at.
I'm excited to try out mine. I've heard good things

I put a Weaver Fixed 4 power on one of my SKS's and it's almost a 1 moa rifle with decent ammo! This is a Yugo made SKS, so it might be better then the others, don't know, but it shoots more then accurate enough for my needs! While I wouldn't say it's Squeaky Dog accurate, I wouldn't have a problem using it out to around 300 yards or so from prone or off a rest!

i have a parts bin frankengun norinco sks. put a choate side mount rail for over the top mounting. my brother gave me his old cabelas firebolt 3X prism. it is hysterically my best shooting sks with 1.5" moa and personal reloads. i was using hornady 124 fmj factory rejects too. it does 2" moa with poly-performance HP's. I'd stick with a shorter scope mounted well behind ejection area otherwise u will be ejecting into the bottom of the scope. stay 3X power or less. Choate is nice since you can see iron sights underneath it. you do have to roll the bolt then the carrier in separately for re-assembly.. i have an athalon on an AR. its very nice maybe a little over the top for an sks.

i have a parts bin frankengun norinco sks. put a choate side mount rail for over the top mounting. my brother gave me his old cabelas firebolt 3X prism. it is hysterically my best shooting sks with 1.5" moa and personal reloads. i was using hornady 124 fmj factory rejects too. it does 2" moa with poly-performance HP's. I'd stick with a shorter scope mounted well behind ejection area otherwise u will be ejecting into the bottom of the scope. stay 3X power or less. Choate is nice since you can see iron sights underneath it. you do have to roll the bolt then the carrier in separately for re-assembly.. i have an athalon on an AR. its very nice maybe a little over the top for an sks.
thanks for the info. it is really helpful

One province in Canada allows 5 rd mag SKS's. Those guys have quite An Sks following. A Canadian co called magwedge has made an iron peep swap out for the Sks rear sight vs the traditional flat plate with a tiny slot to find ur front post. Once installed it looks like it's OEM. It really makes finding ur front post easier. Essentially an AR style circle rear peep and front post style system. A skinnier swapped out front sight post also helps tighten iron sight 100 yd groups since u r not blocking the whole target out with the original monster front post. Just some more info..

One province in Canada allows 5 rd mag SKS's. Those guys have quite An Sks following. A Canadian co called magwedge has made an iron peep swap out for the Sks rear sight vs the traditional flat plate with a tiny slot to find ur front post. Once installed it looks like it's OEM. It really makes finding ur front post easier. Essentially an AR style circle rear peep and front post style system. A skinnier swapped out front sight post also helps tighten iron sight 100 yd groups since u r not blocking the whole target out with the original monster front post. Just some more info..
I have a home grown unit. PAX

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads