JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You guys are spot on about the CCI mini mags, but those aren't on his list. For reliability the CCI's are very hard to beat. They can be trusted. However, I've had very good luck from the federal ammo the op has on his list as well. Mr. Millspecer, that is exactly what I'd suggest the op to do. As with any 22lr. it is extremely important to see what your rifle or pistol likes. I do exactly what you do when I get a new 22lr. Take numerous types of ammo to the range and sit down and shoot that thing. It will tell you very quickly what it prefers. I wish photobucket wasn't demanding money to upgrade, so I can post pictures the easy way. However, I'll see if I can get some target pics up of some of the ammo I shot in my new to me slabside mkII a few months ago. Like I said in a previous post, it preferred the bulk 525rnd hp's Federal champions. I really like a rifle or pistol that shoots the cheap stuff well. Now I just need that pistol to teach my 10-22 to like the cheap stuff!!!!!!! :p

Geco Standard works for me...

Five shots - 50m in a 53-y/o Anschutz Model 1409.

upload_2017-7-5_16-34-37.png

6) Winchester Super X 22LR 1,300 FPS (10) <<-- this stuff is crap in all my guns.

+1 on that. I've returned ammo to Winchester twice now. 5-6 boxes of .45acp last year, and six 500rd bricks of .22 several years ago. In both cases I wrote Winchester directly, stated the problem and was immediately made whole with pre-paid return shipping labels and full reimbursement. I had no receipt in either case, but it's pretty obvious who made the ammo and they don't want to get sued in the event of a mishap.

First time they sent me vouchers that I redeemed for 12ga target loads (which I like), and the second time they simply wrote me a check.

While that's a stand-up way to do business, I'd prefer to see Winchester do their righteous best up front and sell me ammo that goes bang (vs click or pffffft).

Federal and American Eagle (made by Federal) work well for me. And, although their prices are all over the map at various retailers, I've never shot anything made by CCI that wasn't fully functional, clean and consistently accurate.

YMMV

Last Edited:
10/22 and Mark II have always eaten every .22lr ammo I put in them reliably. Part of the reason I don't use any other .22 lr guns. Lol.

My preference is plated bullets. Make handling less "leady" and cleaning less as well.

Thanks for the reminder. You wrote abput that in another post, and I have forgotten to check. Will do this morning.

It can make a huge difference, P7! My friend's needs the light spring for low velocity, no ifs ands or buts!
I think that why mine works with the hi velocity spring is the previous owner sent it into the factory and they tuned it perfectly! Good luck! :)

Last Edited:
All of my 22's,pistols and rifles have happily eaten everything I've fed them with the exception of Federal Premium Target in the semi-autos. My buddy tried running it in his Walther & S&W and had about the same rate of misfires & FTE's. Out of the options in OP's post, Fed Champion and Automatch work for me.

All of my 22s eat everything I feed them, but out of that list, I really like the Federal Auto Match. It seems to be the most consistent in accuracy to me.

Now that's a good setup there. Shame about the 1 unit limit on the automatch :(

How's the Browning Performance .22 LR 40-Grain, anyone? It's there in a 400 round box for the same ~6c/round.

CCI has been my go-to standard for many years. But it no longer is. Even though it is 30-40% higher in price, it is not of the same quality it was in the old days. I imagine they've adopted shortcuts, or bypassed QC to get more ammo out the door. i shoot a lot of Federal, and for my money it's pretty decent rimfire ammo. When it really matters, I shoot match ammo, and there is no comparison between it and cheaper ammo. But when I'm just having fun, the Federal and some other brands shoot quite well.

Good work Tac. I'd encourage you to keep practicing and if you keep at it you'll soon be able to get all the rounds on the paper. :)
(ps, the smile indicates attempt at humor)

upload_2017-7-5_16-34-37-png.374664.png

Federal is good, as is CCi. As an FYI Fishermans Marine recently had CCI standard ( some consider it low velocity as it's sub-sonic) stacked cheap and deep (for todays world) at the door in 500 round boxes for $29.99 or .06/round. I didn't have any and needed some to try and train a puppy that 4th of July isn't something to worry over. She slept through the jackasses tossing M80's outside, so she's good to go.

Good dog.

Last Edited:
Anschutz rifle (any model) with Eley Tenex in it. Not that new crap Eley Tenex. A box of it from the late eighties or early nineties.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top