JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not very well versed on .22lr so i wondered what people would choose from the following choices.

1) Federal 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose Range Pack
2) Federal AutoMatch 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose
3) Federal Champion Target 22 Long Rifle Ammo High Velocity 40 Grain LRN
4) Federal Premium Field Pack 22 Long Rifle Ammo 38 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point

For what purpose.

.22 rimfire is very versatile and there are a LOT of different ammo offerings for .22 RF - so it makes a difference.

Get some of each.

The LRN is good for target shooting and plinking, less so for hunting.

I'm not very well versed on .22lr so i wondered what people would choose from the following choices.

4) Federal Premium Field Pack 22 Long Rifle Ammo 38 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point

ALL my .22's are autos. So for me it would be the Automatch. Don't buy Federal at all normally. During the great panic I bought some AM when I could find it. Seems to like all my autos.

Last Edited:
This isn't in your list, but I'd get some american eagle (made by federal) 38gr. hollow points. I just bought some at Cabela's yesterday. It works great in all of my semi auto's.. From my 10-22's to my Ruger mkII pistols. They are sold in bricks of 400 for $24.99.....

What people say is good, and what cycles could be worlds apart.
I can give you samples of a few of these, ten of each type that I have, see in text below.
I'll be in Hillsboro and Forest Grove tomorrow if you want to meet up.

1) Federal 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose Range Pack (10)
2) Federal AutoMatch 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose (10)

5) Blazer Ammunition 22LR (10)
6) Winchester Super X 22LR 1,300 FPS (10) <<-- this stuff is crap in all my guns.

Evidently I shot through all my Thunderbolt

-In guns I like, I only use CCI Blazer*(black lead Lewiston production only), I avoid the grey lead versions produced in their second tier plants.
-second choice would be Federal Auto-match.

I keep a good supply of Mini-Mags for my stainless Bobcat (tends to be a picky eater)
and the various junky-monkey stuff for the Henry 22 Mares leg 'cuz it'll eat anything.

*It's nice living 1,000 yards from the CCI/Speer plant and knowing lots of folks that work there.

I like the OP's choices. All federal. Generally federal works very well in my semi auto's. I know a lot of guys love CCI, but for the money, Federal ammo is great stuff... I particularily like the federal champion hp's that come in the bulk pack of 525. Here's how my Ruger mkII shoots with them with factory irons:

45657.jpg

Last Edited:
So the reason i gave those options, is i'm looking here:

Bulk Ammo for Sale Online Free Shipping Available

Selecting the larger amounts gives me free shipping at 6c a round.

I'm not really looking to outlay a lot of money as i already have around 2500 rounds, 6c seems a nice price, so i just wanted to top up - the Blazer is there, but the bulk sale is $300 for 5000 rounds.

I have had good luck with Federal .22 ammo. I am shooting some old Federal 36 grain hp in a 10/22 and it's cycling great. I have the automatch and 40gr rn on hand. I do get a bit better groups with cci but federals not bad.

I would avoid Peter's or Remington .22lr ammo.

Anything listed should work. If you dispatching small critters the hp would be my first choice.

#4. CCI if you want quality

My semi-autos love CCI Mini Mags. Never a hiccup!

That ammo has been known for that as long as I've been shooting. Notice when this last great panic hit CCI MM was the ammo that was first to vanish and the most often seen scalped. When I was a kid and money was tight I still often was willing to pay for this stuff as it was so much better. During this last panic I often tried other stuff as it would show up. Don't know if they have just improved the quality of the ammo, or the guns have improved. The autos I have these days seemed to work great with all the big names. CCI MM was always the ammo I would use to "test" a gun that did not want to feed. If it would not feed that then I knew it was the gun. Now that the panic is again over I am burning up the other stuff I bought and laying in more CCI.

Of the ones you mentioned, I've had good reliability with the Federal AutoMatch in my semi-autos. But overall, I'm not picky about .22lr for plinking. For important stuff, or where reliability is critical, I prefer CCI mini-mags - but they aren't on your list and are a bit more expensive.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top