JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm considering getting into reloading, right now just for my 7mm Mag, maybe for other things down the road. I have a couple questions. I don't need to reload very many rounds, maybe 20-40 a month. I want good equipment, but doesn't have to be the best or really special.

What all will I need?

What should I expect to spend?

a good reloading manual or two. The sierra manual as do most reloading manuals have good write ups on reloading.

you will need at minimum a press, a scale, the proper dies, lube, bullets, powder and primers. To me the rest of of the tools will help you with making better quality ammo. I have been reloading since around 1982 and i still run into head scratchers.

If you were a family member asking this question I would guide them to getting a complete reloading kit such as an rcbs supreme reloading kit. I would also recommend that they stayed away from max loads until they knew what they were doing.
Oh yes when you have a question dont be afraid to ask I hear it takes alot longer to grow body parts back than it does pride so please dont guess at reloading questions.

a good reloading manual or two. The sierra manual as do most reloading manuals have good write ups on reloading.

you will need at minimum a press, a scale, the proper dies, lube, bullets, powder and primers. To me the rest of of the tools will help you with making better quality ammo. I have been reloading since around 1982 and i still run into head scratchers.

If you were a family member asking this question I would guide them to getting a complete reloading kit such as an rcbs supreme reloading kit. I would also recommend that they stayed away from max loads until they knew what they were doing.
Oh yes when you have a question dont be afraid to ask I hear it takes alot longer to grow body parts back than it does pride so please dont guess at reloading questions.

Pretty much, except I would add that a kinetic bullet puller is also a minimum requirement.

Watch a bunch of YT tutorials and read a bunch. Also I would recommend starting out on a single stage press. If you think you might do higher volumes in the future, you can still get a progressive and run it single stage.

Me, I still exclusively use my hand me down from my dad's circa 1980, single stage RCBS. I also set my powder throw 1/2 grn short, and trickle every single round up to weight for extremely consistent results.

Pretty much, except I would add that a kinetic bullet puller is also a minimum requirement.

Watch a bunch of YT tutorials and read a bunch. Also I would recommend starting out on a single stage press. If you think you might do higher volumes in the future, you can still get a progressive and run it single stage.

Me, I still exclusively use my hand me down from my dad's circa 1980, single stage RCBS. I also set my powder throw 1/2 grn short, and trickle every single round up to weight for extremely consistent results.
i most definitely agree with a single stage press when you start out it does two things it teaches you how to do basic operations and its slow enough so that it should help to prevent mistakes. You might even enjoy the time you spend making your ammo i do.

Another note get use to having the firearm around when reloading in my opinion it sucks when you get to where your going ( range or hunting ) and you cant chamber a round because the ammo is not quite right. I know of which I speak.

i most definitely agree with a single stage press when you start out it does two things it teaches you how to do basic operations and its slow enough so that it should help to prevent mistakes. You might even enjoy the time you spend making your ammo i do.

Another note get use to having the firearm around when reloading in my opinion it sucks when you get to where your going ( range or hunting ) and you cant chamber a round because the ammo is not quite right. I know of which I speak.
Werd. 20 rounds a month doesn't really warrant a Star automatic press.
With that said, think "Lee" all the way.. 2 die set, trimmer, scale, press.. probably $80-100 brand new all told.

Buy a kit. For the most part, each manufacturer has a kit these days. They start in the 150 range to 300-500 depending on brand. The kit will get you pretty much everything you need to reload minus a way to clean the brass, the dies themselves, and components. A good manual isn't always included, I recommend getting one. Other tools will come as you get more advanced, but usually the kit will get you going for the amount of ammo you state you will be making.

Lee kit @ $130
https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precisio...=1475360337&sr=8-1&keywords=lee+reloading+kit

RCBS @ $300ish
https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-9354-Su...1475360445&sr=8-1&keywords=rcbs+reloading+kit

Hornady @ $400
https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Lock...5360385&sr=8-1&keywords=hornady+reloading+kit

Keep an eye out at estate and yard sales, and get familiar with presses so you know what you are looking for. I picked up my rcbs rockchucker single stage at a yard sale for $10. The guys said it was jammed, I took it apart and cleaned it and now use it for my precision rifle rounds. That's one of the presses that tons of people have, mine is probably from the 1950s and still solid.

If you want to make a decent investment, I've always heard great things about the lee turret press.

As others have said, start with a reloading manual. Make sure you understand what you are getting into and that you have the discipline to reload safely.

I would budget $300 to $500 to get started depending on how and where you get your equipment. The reloading manuals usually have some good "how to get started" primers in them that are worth reading. And, this board is an excellent resource for information. I have been reloading since the early 70s and I still run into things I ask here from time to time.

Lyman recently released their 50th Reloading Manual. It is an excellent resource for beginners and veterans alike. It has a tremendous amount of information on getting started. I like that the reloading data includes several different brands of powder and bullets, though it does tend to run long on cast bullets since that is their business. Any other branded manual will only have that brand of bullet or powder. For any specific caliber the Loadbooks USA "The Complete Reloading Manual for (XXX Caliber)" has the most comprehensive information. It is a compilation of loading data from most of the bullet manufacturers and powder companies.

All of the bullet manufacturer's loading manuals are full of info, but only tailored for their own bullets. The Lyman manuals are more generic in bullet description, but are full of info you won't find in any other manual. Manuals are not cheap, but I'd suggest buying a Lyman and one from your chosen bullet maker. The more data you have, the better off you'll be. Also, be cautious about using old manuals. Some powders have changed in the last 5-10 years and old data may get you into trouble.
The comments about buying a kit and making sure you have calipers are spot on, in my opinion. The kinetic bullet puller isn't that important, but will save you from scrapping a round that you mess up on. Trust me, that will happen.

The 550 b is a great press, but you will still get a lot of use from a single stage also. The progressive is great for lots of pistol rounds, but when crafting rounds for my .22-250, for example, the single stage is the way to go. Also, you can make mistakes in much greater number with a progressive. Walk before you run...and enjoy the process!

All of the bullet manufacturer's loading manuals are full of info, but only tailored for their own bullets. The Lyman manuals are more generic in bullet description, but are full of info you won't find in any other manual. Manuals are not cheap, but I'd suggest buying a Lyman and one from your chosen bullet maker. The more data you have, the better off you'll be. Also, be cautious about using old manuals. Some powders have changed in the last 5-10 years and old data may get you into trouble.
The comments about buying a kit and making sure you have calipers are spot on, in my opinion. The kinetic bullet puller isn't that important, but will save you from scrapping a round that you mess up on. Trust me, that will happen.
Good call on the Lyman manual. It is more broad.

The 550 b is a great press, but you will still get a lot of use from a single stage also. The progressive is great for lots of pistol rounds, but when crafting rounds for my .22-250, for example, the single stage is the way to go. Also, you can make mistakes in much greater number with a progressive. Walk before you run...and enjoy the process!
If you're really crafting then look at an arbor press and L E Wilson dies. Way more accuracy.

I have an RL550B, also. It's a great press. I started out with a Lyman turret press and used to use it for all of my rifle rounds that I weigh each powder charge individually. Since then I've figured out that I can still use the Dillon very similar to using a single stage or turret and have not used my Lyman press for quite a while.

Big thumbs-up for Loadbooks - I have one for each of the calibres I load and they are priceless sources of information. I just keep them all in my drag bag so I can haul them out on the range if needed.

tac

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top