JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is my easiest recipe for getting a start in Home Canning for the Prepper. High acid foods are the easiest to can with the highest likelihood of success. Tomatillo's are more or less a weed, easy to grow and prolific producers. Onions and garlic are available now after wintering over in your garden. Depending on your heat (spicy) tolerance, you can easily substitute for the Poblano Peppers.

The cut and paste from MS Word didn't go so well below, if you want a copy in MS Word format with pictures, contact me with your email address, etc...

Canning "Tomatillo Green Salsa"
This is an EASY first canning recipe. The high level of acid, ensures success.

YIELD: 12 wide mouth pint jars (One Case), maybe a little extra for a refrigerator jar. Use within two weeks.

INGREDIENTS:

¨ 12 cups chopped tomatillos (remove husks, wash)

¨ 2 bunches, Cilantro, chopped

¨ 4 cups seeded, chopped Poblano chilies

¨ 1.5 cups seeded, finely chopped Jalapeño peppers

¨ 10 cups chopped onions

¨ 1.5 cup white vinegar

¨ 10 tbsp lime juice

¨ 12 cloves garlic, finely chopped

¨ 3 tablespoons ground cumin

¨ 6 tablespoons dried oregano leaves

¨ 3 tablespoon salt

¨ 3 teaspoon black pepper (fresh cracked if your wrists can stand that)

CAUTION: Wear plastic or rubber gloves and do not touch your face while handling or cutting hot peppers. If you do not wear gloves, wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching your face or eyes.

PREPARING JARS: Wash and rinse canning jars; keep hot until ready to use. Prepare lids according to manufacturer's directions.

PREPARING TOMATILLO'S: Remove the dry outer husks; wash thoroughly. They do not need to be peeled or seeded. Cut in half; lay on cookie sheet, with cut side down. Broil in oven until skin is charred, remove from heat.

PREPARING PEPPERS: The peppers do not need to be peeled. Cut in half, remove stems and seeds. Lie on cookie sheet, cut side down. Broil in oven/broiler/BBQ grill until skin is charred; remove from heat. More charring is better.

COOKING THE SALSA: Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan (you may need to split between two pans), stir frequently over high heat until mixture begins to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If you split this into two pans, when cooked, merge in a large bowl. Fill jars from this mixture.

This is the step where you either make your salsa soupy or thick.

JARRING UP THE SALSA: Ladle salsa hot into clean, hot jars, leaving ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened, clean paper towel; apply two-piece metal canning lids. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight.

Process in a boiling water canner according to the recommendations below.

Recommended process time for Tomatillo Green Salsa in a boiling water canner.

Canning Salsa

Process Time at Altitudes of

Style of Pack

Jar Size

0 – 1,000 ft

1,001 – 6,000 ft

Above 6,000 ft

Hot

Pints

15 Minutes

20 Minutes

25 Minutes

IMPORTANT:
The only changes you can safely make in this salsa recipe are to substitute bottled lemon juice for the vinegar and to change the amount of pepper and salt. Do not alter the proportions of vegetables to acid and tomatoes because it might make the salsa unsafe.

NOTE: You may use green tomatoes in this recipe instead of tomatillos.

OPTIONS: You can use other types of hot chili peppers, according to your tastes. I only have eyes for jalapenos because they don't repeat on me as much as other peppers. I like Serrano's too but they tend to be too hot for me. If you used a cup of serranos per recipe I think you'd be breathing fire and then you might die (mostly just kidding). So if you like things hotter, try a blend. Just be sure that the total amount of peppers you use remains the same.

Personal experience from living in the "3rd World"
When living on a beans and rice diet, any spicy ingredient becomes important as a way to avoid depression caused by a very mundane High fiber/low fat diet. Color, red/green is also important to morale

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top