JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is true. I opened it up. It links to a Northeastern University study stating plainly that there are fewer school shootings now than in the 90's.

Schools are safer than they were in the 90s, and school shootings are not more common than they used to be, researchers say

This is good stuff. Universities are the new church for the left, so this should be linked often in correspondence with the legislators.

However, read that one carefully. There are useful data about declinging rates of school shootings. But there are also some emotion-based opinions like

"I'm not a big fan of making schools look like fortresses, because they send a message to kids that the bad guy is coming for you—if we're surrounding you with security, you must have a bull's-eye on your back," Fox said. "That can actually instill fear, not relieve it."

My personal view is that securing schools is a reality-based move that can be explained to children. Refusing to defend against psychos to keep them from fearing psychos is silly.

What are you guys writing for testimony. They have stuffed so much garbage in this bill you couldn't possibly cover it in a 2 min presentation?. Should we just target the whole idea of a bait and switch bill or pick out certain amendments that we dislike the most?

If we don't show up in numbers, then the battle will be lost... I cannot stress how important it is to be there Tuesday April 2nd and again Monday April 8th, another day identified for anti-gun legislation hearings.
Freedom isn't free. :s0042:

I will be there ... to continue dis-emboldening the anti-rights gun grabbers. Let's keep the momentum from the 2A rally going. Remember, OFF believes "you can rest assured the other side will be bussing in people from out of state to fill the room." If you aren't testifying, make sure to wear something pro-rights to let everyone know which side you're on. I'll be there in an OreGunian T-shirt holding a Gadsden flag.

As suggested by OFF, also just sent a big fat raspberry to Senate President Peter Courtney for allowing the outrage that is SB 978. :s0118:
That is a good summary to read. Note at the end he mentions a second round of anti-gun legislation being heard on April 8th:
"This is not the end of it. Floyd Prozanski is planning another anti-gun bill to be heard on April 8th where, no doubt he plans to take away whatever he missed on this bill"

That is a good summary to read. Note at the end he mentions a second round of anti-gun legislation being heard on April 8th:
"This is not the end of it. Floyd Prozanski is planning another anti-gun bill to be heard on April 8th where, no doubt he plans to take away whatever he missed on this bill"
Yes, I saw that, and I don't like it. :eek:
I think that's one more reason why it's so important for a strong showing on April 2nd.

Looking at the senate schedule thru to 4/8, the only two items I see are:

SB 979 Directs Department of State Police to conduct study on prosecution of crime of unlawfully purchasing a firearm and present report on findings to interim committees of Legislative Assembly related to judiciary on or before September 15, 2020.

and a work session for SB978.

SB 979 Directs Department of State Police to conduct study on prosecution of crime of unlawfully purchasing a firearm and present report on findings to interim committees of Legislative Assembly related to judiciary on or before September 15, 2020.

SB 979 must be the second bill that they intend to stuff the remaining anti-gun bills into.

Sti

SB979 will likely be the conduit for the next omnibus gun hating package of legislation they move in committee. They may try for AWB type legislation in that one.

Unfortunately none of the anti Senators on the SJC had elections that were even close let alone tight so they will have little fear for their own electability by voting yes on this stuff.

I hope a large percentage of those who attended the rally are going to submit convincing testimony by noon tomorrow and then again by noon on April 7th.

And most of all I hope the rally attendees will make great efforts to see that we vote out as many of these antis as possible in 2020.

I have decided to write my testimony with the angle that SB 978 is geared toward making criminals out of otherwise law abiding residents for activities that have not been causing any significant problems. In addition they are creating a new path to discriminate against a group of residents who once again have not been a causing any significant problems. With this proposed legislation they will be creating a new segment of the population in to unknowingly becoming felons. At the same time they are working hard to see that criminals are released early, while laying strict responsibility for future crimes committed by criminals at the hands of the victims.

This is a wacko version of life these antis want us to live in. I wish the people who elected them were not agreeable to this belief that the victim is responsible for the crime but that is the way it is.

Sti

SB979 will likely be the conduit for the next omnibus gun hating package of legislation they move in committee. They may try for AWB type legislation in that one.

Unfortunately none of the anti Senators on the SJC had elections that were even close let alone tight so they will have little fear for their own electability by voting yes on this stuff.

I hope a large percentage of those who attended the rally are going to submit convincing testimony by noon tomorrow and then again by noon on April 7th.

And most of all I hope the rally attendees will make great efforts to see that we vote out as many of these antis as possible in 2020.

I have decided to write my testimony with the angle that SB 978 is geared toward making criminals out of otherwise law abiding residents for activities that have not been causing any significant problems. In addition they are creating a new path to discriminate against a group of residents who once again have not been a causing any significant problems. With this proposed legislation they will be creating a new segment of the population in to unknowingly becoming felons. At the same time they are working hard to see that criminals are released early, while laying strict responsibility for future crimes committed by criminals at the hands of the victims.

This is a wacko version of life these antis want us to live in. I wish the people who elected them were not agreeable to this belief that the victim is responsible for the crime but that is the way it is.
My plan is similar, calling out each item in their stuffed bill, and how that's not currently a problem. Additionally will call them out for the gut and stuff and the continued deception, how they are setting gun owners up for failure and turning us into second class citizens.

Not time to be nice, me thinks it's timemto be combative...

Excerpts from SB 978. I just enlarged my gun room:D

"(5) 'Gun room' means an area within a building enclosed by walls,
a floor and a ceiling, including a closet, that has all entrances secured
by a tamper-resistant lock, that is kept locked at all times when unoccupied
and that is used for:

20190401_085242.jpg

"SECTION 6. (1)(a) A person who owns or possesses a firearm shall,
at all times that the firearm is not carried by or under the control of
the person or an authorized person, secure the firearm:
"(A) With an engaged trigger lock or cable lock that meets or exceeds
the minimum specifications established by the Oregon Health
Authority under section 10 of this 2019 Act;
"(B) In a locked container, equipped with a tamper-resistant lock,
that meets or exceeds the minimum specifications established by the
Oregon Health Authority under section 10 of this 2019 Act; or
"(C) In a gun room.

Similar here as well: If people are afraid of concealed carriers and wish to discriminate against them, do they know if they are actually a problem? What are the crime rates of people with CHL compared to police or the general public? Why stereotype CHL holders as criminals, and call the police on them for being in the wrong building or public space?

Similar to the "downloadable firearm" (Hollywood myth) and "untraceable and undetectable" sections of the bill. Having a non-gun can make someone into a felon, in jail alongside drug dealers and rapists. Many guns before 1968 did not have serial numbers. Are they now criminals? And once a criminal or adjudicated domestic abuser makes a gun, they are already breaking the law by being in possession of a gun. Even one not complete (per ATF rules). Will Home Depot have to run background checks when people buy steel pipe and raw stock metals, or 2x4's? Are they willing to waste time/money/resources of our judicial system by jailing non violent people who hurt no one?

Similar here as well: If people are afraid of concealed carriers and wish to discriminate against them, do they know if they are actually a problem? What are the crime rates of people with CHL compared to police or the general public? Why stereotype CHL holders as criminals, and call the police on them for being in the wrong building or public space?

Similar to the "downloadable firearm" (Hollywood myth) and "untraceable and undetectable" sections of the bill. Having a non-gun can make someone into a felon, in jail alongside drug dealers and rapists. Many guns before 1968 did not have serial numbers. Are they now criminals? And once a criminal or adjudicated domestic abuser makes a gun, they are already breaking the law by being in possession of a gun. Even one not complete (per ATF rules). Will Home Depot have to run background checks when people buy steel pipe and raw stock metals, or 2x4's? Are they willing to waste time/money/resources of our judicial system by jailing non violent people who hurt no one?
Here is what I came up with. It was written in a way I could easily read out loud in under two minutes. Edit: I sent a separate PDF attacking a detail of the bill regarding unserialized firearms.
"
Senator's

Thank you for giving me an opportunity to explain why every Senator on this committee should vote no on SB 978.

SB 978 is being promoted by some as common sense gun safety legislation.

Those who carefully read this bill will understand that this bill is not about keeping Oregonian's safe but is an attempt to appease those who have a deep disdain for our natural right to keep and bear arms.

The result is a bill that has grown from 1 page to 44 pages overnight and bears no resemblance to the original bill.

This bill has been stuffed with amendments that will punish victims for being victimized.

This bill has been stuffed with amendments that will deny Oregonian's their natural right to defend themselves at the whim of public officials.

This bill has been stuffed with amendments that will instantly turn many thousands of Oregonian's in to felons.

This bill has been stuffed with amendments that will embolden and further enable criminals to prey on the most vulnerable residents of this State.

The only thing this bill hasn't been stuffed with is common sense.

For the sake of all Oregonian's, I implore you to vote no on SB 978.

Thank you!

Last Edited:

I think this bill if passed as is, could eliminate homemade firearms. I would also think that if you owned firearms that were not originally serial numbered that you would be in violation of the law as well. I am not clear whether we as individuals could meet the criteria required by the federal statutes mentioned in SB 978?

I think the legislatures are going to hear that a lot, though. Is there one specific thing you could get into the t
I think this bill if passed as is, could eliminate homemade firearms. I would also think that if you owned firearms that were not originally serial numbered that you would be in violation of the law as well. I am not clear whether we as individuals could meet the criteria required by the federal statutes mentioned in SB 978?

Unclear to me as well. Once reading thru sounds like it would ban all homemade firearms production, without treating non-gun parts like guns. Another reading sounds like as long as serialization is part of the process before completion, it's ok. But trying to buy or transfer "unfinished receivers" (a dangerously ambiguous term) is a crime. But "unfinished receiver" is ambiguous when someone can use a shovel to make a firearm.

And if I throw a punch set for stamping numbers into my box of tools and parts, is that enough to show it's a part of my process? It sounds like a "what came first, chicken or egg" thing.

"(b) 'Unserialized firearm' means a firearm that does not bear a
serial number in accordance with the procedures for the serialization
of a firearm in 18 U.S.C. 923(i) and all regulations issued under the
authority of 18 U.S.C. 923(i), including but not limited to 27 C.F.R.
"(c) 'Untraceable firearm' means an unserialized downloadable
firearm or an unserialized firearm that has been manufactured, as-
sembled or produced using an unfinished frame or receiver.
"(2) A person who knowingly possesses, manufactures, assembles,
causes to be manufactured or assembled, imports into this state, offers
for sale, sells or transfers an untraceable firearm commits a Class B
felony."

There is little doubt being in possession of an unserialized firearm would be a felony. The question is whether you as an individual can throw a serial number on an existing firearm according to the fed regs cited in SB 978. For purposes of testimony I would say no you can't. Unless they amend it to clarify the requirements for adding a serial number.

Edit: Reading through the US statute it only provides info for those licensed to manufacture or import firearms. Even if it was allowed can you imagine having to mark up your 95% antique firearm with a homemade serial number. Probably wouldn't help the value much.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads