JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Trying to sound hopeful, but didn't we just stop or stall a bunch of anti gun legislation in Washington state? We called and wrote voicing our opinions, we need to do this now on the streets of Seattle, Spokane, Vancouver, Everett and Bellingham and on every university campus.

Why delay, start NOW.

Probably a little premature, but what do you think the reaction of these groups will be if they get it onto a ballot, then it fails? What can they say then, if the excuse isn't that the "NRA intimidated the politicians" any longer?

They will forever blame the NRA, call us baby killers etc.

We need a game plan. We need to educate everyone we know and get them to spread the word. We also need people willing to hang out where there are people gathering signatures to educate anyone who might be willing to sign without understanding what the bill really does. Our side has been historically good at being organized and we really need an organized effort to prevent this from making it on the ballot

Hi it would be great if Dave could write up a paragraph or two highlighting key points that will make an impact with the people who are not so in the know, that we could copy and paste to our own email tree's just to get a preemptive strike on this with our friends and family that are not following this closely at this point. Instead of waiting until the signature gatherers are on the street. Thanks

here's an idea, the signature gathering companies advertise on craigslist for people to gather signatures for money. What if we showed up to work for them? or to talk with the people who work for them? they (the gatherers) are independent contractors, usually college kids or retired people. they don't care who they get, heck they even got me for the pot initiative. turn in bogus signatures or none at all. waste as much of their resources as possible?

they have to pay to have the initiative signature sheets printed, pay the company as much as a buck each for gathering them, the signatures need to be verified. It isn't an easy process, or cheap. let's drain their funds. Maybe start our own "company"?

There is a specific time frame they use for gathering signatures (I think) keep searching CL for "initiative" and "signatures". Nothing as of now, but I am pretty sure it will turn up.

If they want to play dirty, well, some of us have devious minds.....

The Columbian carried a story on the Editorial page that said they were for it and we all needed to sign up and get it passed.

Link?????

Hi it would be great if Dave could write up a paragraph or two highlighting key points that will make an impact with the people who are not so in the know, that we could copy and paste to our own email tree's just to get a preemptive strike on this with our friends and family that are not following this closely at this point. Instead of waiting until the signature gatherers are on the street. Thanks

Working on that.

here's an idea, the signature gathering companies advertise on craigslist for people to gather signatures for money. What if we showed up to work for them? or to talk with the people who work for them? they (the gatherers) are independent contractors, usually college kids or retired people. they don't care who they get, heck they even got me for the pot initiative. turn in bogus signatures or none at all. waste as much of their resources as possible?

they have to pay to have the initiative signature sheets printed, pay the company as much as a buck each for gathering them, the signatures need to be verified. It isn't an easy process, or cheap. let's drain their funds. Maybe start our own "company"?

There is a specific time frame they use for gathering signatures (I think) keep searching CL for "initiative" and "signatures". Nothing as of now, but I am pretty sure it will turn up.

If they want to play dirty, well, some of us have devious minds.....

I suggested just taking the petitions and asking people to sign up for gun confiscation while yelling which initiative it is...

Washington press lemmings fall in behind gun control effort

The first of what will likely be a chain of editorials supporting the gun control initiative filed by the Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility appeared today in the Vancouver Columbian.

<broken link removed>

Washington press lemmings fall in behind gun control effort

The first of what will likely be a chain of editorials supporting the gun control initiative filed by the Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility appeared today in the Vancouver Columbian.

<broken link removed>

Nice write-up Dave, I'm curious though what a possible alternative initiative would include? Would it be a universal background check bill that has exceptions for friends and family and CPL holders and include provisions to abolish the states pistol registry and prevent any future registries or databases much like what Alan Gottlieb tried to negotiate with the original HB1588 background check bill or are we talking some kind of firearms protection act initiative that would prevent universal background checks?

I will do my part to defuse this farce. This is an outrage of stupidity that people can infringe on others constitutional rights!!!
Outside money should not be allowed (Doombergs money) it accounts to buying elections which is how he became the moron of NYC (oooppps mayor). He is a little Hitler to boot...

There's plenty of inside money working here too.

Fat cat Seattleites...thinking the world should revolve around them....

Hanauer's money

Mayors launch bus tour on Sandy Hook anniversary

Marking the six-month anniversary of the Sandy Hook Elementary tragedy, Mayors Against Illegal Guns today launched its 25-state, 100-day “No More Names: National Drive to Reduce Gun Violence” bus tour while 16 states have adopted more user-friendly firearms laws and the Nevada governor yesterday vetoed “universal background check” legislation.

<broken link removed>

Okay, so if they get enough signatures, it goes to the legislature. Then, if they don't act, it goes to the ballot.

Now begins the signature-gathering process; 325,000 are required by Jan. 4, 2014. If that effort succeeds, the measure would go before the Legislature. If lawmakers refuse to take action, the initiative would go to the voters in November 2014.

I'm having trouble understanding step 2 here... if they don't act as in they don't take it to a vote? What happens if it goes to a vote, and it gets defeated in the legislature?

Also, it's a looong time between now and Nov 2014. By then, the energy that's already waning on this (thus necessitating the bus tour) will have pretty much evaporated.

Last Edited:
Okay, so if they get enough signatures, it goes to the legislature. Then, if they don't act, it goes to the ballot.

I'm having trouble understanding step 2 here... if they don't act as in they don't take it to a vote? What happens if it goes to a vote, and it gets defeated in the legislature?

Also, it's a looong time between now and Nov 2014. By then, the energy that's already waning on this (thus necessitating the bus tour) will have pretty much evaporated.

If they get enough signatures it goes first to the legislature and they can vote on it as if it were a bill they initiated. If they don't take up a vote it goes on a ballot. I'm unclear though if the legislature does vote on it and votes it down would it still go on a ballot but I think it would.

We can do everything we can to talk up 591 to all who will listen, and to point out the problems--not just what WE recognize as such, but the Unintended Consequences that will make criminals out of unwary law-abiding citizens and how easily it can be abused--to once again all who will listen.

Show the Low Information Voter how this can hurt THEM or someone THEY love PERSONALLY, and... like Alinsky said, "make it personal."

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top