JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cops have enough laws to keep straight in their heads. In Eugene, open carrying without a CHL = brandishing, WITH a CHL = completely legal. It's a stupid law, that puts in cops in an awkward position like this. I'm sure they didn't know whether he was legally carrying or not. Also I'm not 100% sure but I suspect any cop that rides a bicycle is probably fairly new to the force.

I'm pretty sure if he WASN'T video taping they would have demanded to see ID. Because he WAS video taping, they probably figured he knew the law better than they did and was trying to make a point.

One question I DO have is this, wouldn't you be required to show the license (CHL) that allows you to open carry? I would either way, because I really don't get anything out of giving cops a hard time. I would imagine if you were growing medical marijuana, you'd be required to show the card that makes this legal for you to do so.

I have to ask.

Are there any other groups such as all these gun owners that feel the need to record everything they do and post it on You Tube?

Or is it just the gun community that goes around seeing if they can get into a conflict with the cops?

This bubblegum is getting stupid.This one has been on here before(last week) but it seems we have a new jerk out taking up the LEO's time filming their interactions.
I mean if you are going to try to make a point,go with a few people and some fliers to educate the locals and the local police.Print out the laws so the cops can go back to doing their jobs.

And yes make sure you have the bill of rights and the documents showing the police part of their job is upholding the constitution.

One question I DO have is this, wouldn't you be required to show the license (CHL) that allows you to open carry? I would either way, because I really don't get anything out of giving cops a hard time. I would imagine if you were growing medical marijuana, you'd be required to show the card that makes this legal for you to do so.

Good point. If there is indeed a local ordinance in Eugene, they could have detained the guy until CHL was presented/verified, or otherwise arrest (cite) him for violation of that very ordinance. Now I don't know if there is such statute in Eugene, or he just pulled a successful bluff on rookies.

Okay, here is what Google got me :

To our knowledge, only the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places, and other cities have passed bans specific to Parks.

<broken link removed>

Good point. If there is indeed a local ordinance in Eugene, they could have detained the guy until CHL was presented/verified, or otherwise arrest (cite) him for violation of that very ordinance. Now I don't know if there is such statute in Eugene, or he just pulled a successful bluff on rookies.

Okay, here is what Google got me :

<broken link removed>

and a google search got this

<broken link removed>
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, section 4.889, ORS
166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.280, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to
166.470, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a
firearm if the person knowingly:
(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person, without having a
license to carry the firearm as provided in ORS 166.291 and
166.292;
(b) Carries concealed and readily accessible about the person within
any vehicle which is under the person's control or direction any
handgun, without having a license to carry such firearm as
provided in ORS 166.291 and 166.292; or
(c) Possesses a firearm and:
1. Is under 18 years of age;
2. Has been convicted of a felony or found guilty, except for
insanity under ORS 161.295, of a felony;
3. Was committed to the Mental Health and Development
Disability Services Division under ORS 426.130 within four
years prior to January 1, 1990; or
4. Was found to be mentally ill and subject to an order under
ORS 426.130 that the person be prohibited from purchasing
or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness.
(2) This section does not prohibit:
(a) A minor, who is not otherwise prohibited under subsection (1)(c)
of this section, from possessing a firearm:
1. Other than a handgun, if the firearm was transferred to the
minor by the minor's parent or guardian or by another person
with the consent of the minor's parent or guardian; or
2. Temporarily for hunting, target practice or any other lawful
purpose; or
(b) Any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who
resides in or is temporarily sojourning within this state, and who is
not within the excepted classes prescribed by ORS 166.270 and
subsection (1) of this section, from owning, possessing or keeping
Eugene Code
4-102 8/2/2011
within the person's place of residence or place of business any
handgun, and no permit or license to purchase, own, possess or
keep any such firearm at the person's place of residence or place
of business is required of any such citizen. As used in this
subsection, "residence" includes a recreational vessel or
recreational vehicle while used, for whatever period of time, as
residential quarters.
(3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the
meaning of this section.

I have to ask.

Are there any other groups such as all these gun owners that feel the need to record everything they do and post it on You Tube?

Or is it just the gun community that goes around seeing if they can get into a conflict with the cops?

This bubblegum is getting stupid.This one has been on here before(last week) but it seems we have a new jerk out taking up the LEO's time filming their interactions.
I mean if you are going to try to make a point,go with a few people and some fliers to educate the locals and the local police.Print out the laws so the cops can go back to doing their jobs.

And yes make sure you have the bill of rights and the documents showing the police part of their job is upholding the constitution.

just the occutards,trying to make the cops look bad for doing their jobs....oh and michael moore the fat slob with slim jim juice dripping off his chin that films stupid documntaries of everything republicans do but stays silent when a democrat is in office.

Am i missing something? As far as i know, the right to open carry is not under attack at this point in time. Yet some people feel the need to shove it in the face of the anti 2A crowd? All the while trying to make LE look totally ignorant/irrelevant? Really?

This will backfire! New laws will start popping up and when they do, i don't want to hear the bubblegumin! (You wanted the attention and now you got it!)

Lefty.

It's 100% legal to open carry in Eugene WITHOUT a permit. The places listed above are the only places as of now that a chl is needed to open carry. Please do not give false information.

I have to ask.

He did it because :

1) It was 100% legal

2) He wanted to

3) He is a free man

4) He could

How was he "giving cops a hard time?". He was walking down a street, peacefully interviewing himself and talking about how boring the downtown area was.. personally (just little old me) I do not get up every morning and think: "How can I make the cops in my area like every thing I do and love me?"

How was he "giving cops a hard time?". He was walking down a street, peacefully interviewing himself and talking about how boring the downtown area was.. personally (just little old me) I do not get up every morning and think: "How can I make the cops in my area like every thing I do and love me?"

I never said HE was giving them a hard time. I said I would show them my ID. They got a call about a man carrying a gun by another (albeit un-informed) citizen, and responded, it seemed pretty clear they weren't sure what to do. I wouldn't give them a hard time, my ID is pretty easy to display, I got nothing to hide, and nothing to prove.

It's 100% legal to open carry in Eugene WITHOUT a permit. The places listed above are the only places as of now that a chl is needed to open carry. Please do not give false information.

Maybe I'm operating on dated info or was just mis-informed, I would have swore Eugene was on that list. Never really researched it or even gave it much thought. For one thing I have a CHL so I'd be legal either way, second I wouldn't open carry anyway. I don't like to draw attention to myself, wouldn't want to explain to everyone why I was open carrying, and (most importantly) wouldn't want to show a potential aggressor what and where my weapon is.

He did it because :

1) It was 100% legal

2) He wanted to

3) He is a free man

4) He could

Yep. You're right. Doesn't advance the cause with anybdoy other than gun owners though. You can't convert the choir. There is a better way to advance gun causes better than in your face, confrontational, look at me ain't I cool youtube vid's.

I never said HE was giving them a hard time. I said I would show them my ID. They got a call about a man carrying a gun by another (albeit un-informed) citizen, and responded, it seemed pretty clear they weren't sure what to do. I wouldn't give them a hard time, my ID is pretty easy to display, I got nothing to hide, and nothing to prove.

i have to agree with you.he was not doing anything wrong but in my opinion he missed an oppertunity to show the police that a guy carrying a gun can be a nice guy too by saying"sure officer,you can see my id"
wouldn't it make the police a little more likely to stick up for the citizen carrying the gun if they were always respectful to the police and comply with their request for id even if you dont have to?
if you agree with the arizona law asking illegals(ooops i mean hispanics)for id then why wouldn't you also show the police your id?
this is a little double standards if not.if im a cop im gonna really appreciate a guy saying here is my chl officer than a guy saying
"nope,i know my rights and im gonna push them and videotape it to taunt you!"just makes us all look like their enemy in my opinion.

Stupidest video I have ever seen. Just because you have a right why flaunt it! That makes people want to take it away. Also not showing your ID? Give it to them so the next time your name comes across the radio they will know your clear of felonies already. In Texas if you are asked for an ID you better produce it. These things get around and one of these days this dummy is going to need the police. They are human also they may not be so fast to help him. Open carry does not mean someone will not get you from behind and kick your dumb but. This kind of jerk really hurts the 2nd amendment.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top