JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What was the basis for the tax before the Pittman Robertson Act in 1937?
Sales tax, import duty, no deduction on income taxes. Firearms have never been protected from taxation. Having Constitutional protection doesn't mean something can't be regulated or taxed. Speech is taxed, too.

If Seattle can add a tax to soda, why can't they add tax to ammo or guns?

Sales tax, import duty, no deduction on income taxes. Firearms have never been protected from taxation. Having Constitutional protection doesn't mean something can't be regulated or taxed. Speech is taxed, too.

Uh, suuuuuuuure?

Your answer goes far afield from your original statement. I just wondered if Pittman Robertson replaced something else. That was all I could think of that was a specific tax on guns and ammo.

Uh, suuuuuuuure?

Your answer goes far afield from your original statement. I just wondered if Pittman Robertson replaced something else. That was all I could think of that was a specific tax on guns and ammo.
All I meant originally was that firearms are not protected from tax, so they can be specifically taxed as well.

Page 76

N. Arms And Ammunition Trafficking Arms and ammunition trafficking was also a concern as early as the seventeenth century, just as it is today. Various registration or taxation schemes sought to address this concern. For example, a 1652 New York law outlawed illegal trading of guns, gun powder, and lead by private individuals.142 A 1631 Virginia law required the recording not only of all new arrivals to the colony, but also "of arms and munitions."143 Twenty years later, Virginia required that "all ammunition, powder and arms, other than for private use shall be delivered up" to the government.144 In the 1800s, three southern states imposed taxes on personally held firearms. Georgia in 1866 levied a tax of "one dollar a piece on every gun or pistol, musket or rifle over the number of three kept or owned on any plantation . . . ."145 In 1867, Mississippi levied a tax of between $5 and $15 upon every gun and pistol which may be in the possession of any person . . . which tax shall be payable at any time on demand, by the Sheriff, and if not so paid, it shall be the duty of the Sheriff to forthwith distrain [to seize property for money owed] and seize such gun or pistol, and sell the same for cash . . . .

There has always been taxes on firearms and ammunition.
The City of Everett proposal is in addition to existing manufacturer's excise tax, state sales tax, and any local tax. It is a fee supposedly intended to curtal shootings. And of course to spin off a bit more revenue for the city. There are taxes and there are taxes, but how many should we be burdened with?

And they do.

By the way, that sugary beverage tax includes bottles of Torani coffee additive syrup.

These grabby extra taxes are always put across as for our own good. But it's also about revenue.

The City of Everett proposal is in addition to existing manufacturer's excise tax, state sales tax, and any local tax. It is a fee supposedly intended to curtal shootings. And of course to spin off a bit more revenue for the city. There are taxes and there are taxes, but how many should we be burdened with?

And they do.

By the way, that sugary beverage tax includes bottles of Torani coffee additive syrup.

These grabby extra taxes are always put across as for our own good. But it's also about revenue.
You as a tax payer have a right to see where those tax proceeds are actually going, and if the taxing authority cannot produce the goods then I would imagine you have a case for a lawsuit for taxation without representation…. or something like that.

Page 76

N. Arms And Ammunition Trafficking Arms and ammunition trafficking was also a concern as early as the seventeenth century, just as it is today. Various registration or taxation schemes sought to address this concern. For example, a 1652 New York law outlawed illegal trading of guns, gun powder, and lead by private individuals.142 A 1631 Virginia law required the recording not only of all new arrivals to the colony, but also "of arms and munitions."143 Twenty years later, Virginia required that "all ammunition, powder and arms, other than for private use shall be delivered up" to the government.144 In the 1800s, three southern states imposed taxes on personally held firearms. Georgia in 1866 levied a tax of "one dollar a piece on every gun or pistol, musket or rifle over the number of three kept or owned on any plantation . . . ."145 In 1867, Mississippi levied a tax of between $5 and $15 upon every gun and pistol which may be in the possession of any person . . . which tax shall be payable at any time on demand, by the Sheriff, and if not so paid, it shall be the duty of the Sheriff to forthwith distrain [to seize property for money owed] and seize such gun or pistol, and sell the same for cash . . . .
Sheesh. Death and taxes, man. Death and taxes. :(

The Pittman Robertson Act was specifically enacted for the restoration of wildlife, which benefitted sportsmen and hunters. Current firearms and ammo taxes are enacted as a means of gun control. The reference cited in post #124 is from a known gun control advocate who believes that the 2nd amendment does not apply to the individual, and fully supported the Assault Weapons Ban. The author of that piece believes that taxation is the correct approach for gun control, and as a work-around to US Supreme Court rulings, such as the Heller decision. This tactic is becoming more popular within the leftist occupied areas. He also referenced British taxation on Colonial American arms and ammunition, not to mention Jim Crow gun laws, as to the justification of such taxes. A bit ironic that it was posted here, considering what tomorrow is.

I am not in favor of the tax. I'm only pointing out that it appears to be completely legal.

Our emotions about stuff doesn't equate to a Constitutional protection.

The Pittman Robertson Act was specifically enacted for the restoration of wildlife, which benefitted sportsmen and hunters. Current firearms and ammo taxes are enacted as a means of gun control. The reference cited in post #124 is from a known gun control advocate who believes that the 2nd amendment does not apply to the individual, and fully supported the Assault Weapons Ban. The author of that piece believes that taxation is the correct approach for gun control, and as a work-around to US Supreme Court rulings, such as the Heller decision. This tactic is becoming more popular within the leftist occupied areas. He also referenced British taxation on Colonial American arms and ammunition, not to mention Jim Crow gun laws, as to the justification of such taxes. A bit ironic that it was posted here, considering what tomorrow is.
As I read this little side quest regarding taxes on firearms and ammunition a couple people had said the were no taxes on them prior to The Pittman Robertson Act and the implication I read was that taxes on firearms and ammunition were not consistent with the "text, history, and tradition" in These United States. That the taxes that were levied had more (or really anything) to do with racism and classism than revenue doesn't surprise me at all, because that is extremely consistent with the "text, history, and tradition" of gun control in These United States.

Last Edited:
You as a tax payer have a right to see where those tax proceeds are actually going, and if the taxing authority cannot produce the goods then I would imagine you have a case for a lawsuit for taxation without representation…. or something like that.
Oh please, that only works in states where a two party system exists. Which does not include Washington.

Example: Sound Transit

I don't live in Everett, but my receiving FFL has his store there. So the tax would affect me with the increase in fees. I could look for another FFL outside of Everett, but even with the proposed fee, my existing dealer charges would be less.

Really the only stand out .gov agency that lacks that transparency (as in has never passed an audit and gets really mad when you press them on that) is the DoD

A Constitutnal RIGHT should NOT be Taxed! You don't pay a tax to vote, or to speak in the public square, you don't pay a tax to appear in court, but we sure as Phuck pay taxes on our 2nd right, RIGHT!

Ya'll are missing the point big time. This isn't about the 2A. We simply have TOO MUCH GOVERNMENT! Where in the Constitution is the federal government granted authority to establish "wildlife refuges" and regulate activities therein?

10th Amendment

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

A Constitutnal RIGHT should NOT be Taxed! You don't pay a tax to vote, or to speak in the public square, you don't pay a tax to appear in court, but we sure as Phuck pay taxes on our 2nd right, RIGHT!
But paying a tax on books, newspapers and computers?

Many leftist believe that ammunition is not included in the 2nd Amendment.
A WHOLE bunch of them are saying the 1st no longer is a right. An AMAZING number of them are suddenly calling for people to be jailed for saying something they do not like. Almost comical to watch them acting like this. Free speech until you say something they do not want to hear. Then they are all in on you being jailed.

A WHOLE bunch of them are saying the 1st no longer is a right. An AMAZING number of them are suddenly calling for people to be jailed for saying something they do not like. Almost comical to watch them acting like this. Free speech until you say something they do not want to hear. Then they are all in on you being jailed.
About the only rights they DO believe in are the "rights" to murder or mutilate children, commit every depravity imaginable in public, help yourself to other people's property and squat on their land, and force the rest of the world to cater to your own personal delusions.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top