JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
a couple people had said the were no taxes on them prior to The Pittman Robertson Act
If you're talking about me as one of them, I was just asking. I didn't say there weren't any and didn't want to spend the time Googling.

As for taxing firearms, my wife got a 1099 MISC a couple of years ago when she won a Kimber 1911 at the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation banquet. :( Great. My wife gets a "free" gun and I get a tax bill.

If we could just get firearms to be not taxed, that could be our new standard of payment. "I'll roof your house for 12 rifles and 21 pistols." :D

As a hunter, I've got absolutely nothing against Pittman Robertson. However, I do find gun grabbing politicians, attacking us by raising taxes on ammunition with the goal of making it unaffordable, to be quite annoying. I'm surprised there isn't more backlash from the have-nots, since only the haves would then be able to afford it. What happened to diversity, equity and inclusion?

As I read this little side quest regarding taxes on firearms and ammunition a couple people had said the were no taxes on them prior to The Pittman Robertson Act and the implication I read was that taxes on firearms and ammunition were not consistent with the "text, history, and tradition" in These United States. That the taxes that were levied had more (or really anything) to do with racism and classism than revenue doesn't surprise me at all, because that is extremely consistent with the "text, history, and tradition" of gun control in These United States.
Lots of States and municipalities used to have a poll tax that had to be paid before you could vote, until SCOTUS ruled that taxes/fees cannot be levied on Constitutional rights. Plus, it was demonstrated to be Racist. I cannot see any difference in levying fees and taxes on our 2A Constitutional rights.
Ooooooo, I can just see GCA heads explode when SCOTUS rules that all their gun control activities are RACIST!!!!!

Lots of States and municipalities used to have a poll tax that had to be paid before you could vote, until SCOTUS ruled that taxes/fees cannot be levied on Constitutional rights. Plus, it was demonstrated to be Racist. I cannot see any difference in levying fees and taxes on our 2A Constitutional rights.
Ooooooo, I can just see GCA heads explode when SCOTUS rules that all their gun control activities are RACIST!!!!!
And yet it took 24a to actually stop (lolz, it didn't) poll taxes.

And yet it took 24a to actually stop (lolz, it didn't) poll taxes.
Yep. And then in 1966, by using the 14A (equal protection clause) ruled that it applied to State elections as well. I can see the 14A being applied to OTHER Constitutional rights like the 2A. If SCOTUS ruled against taxes on ONE Constitutional right, why couldn't the prohibition apply to OTHER Constitutional rights?

Yep. And then in 1966, by using the 14A (equal protection clause) ruled that it applied to State elections as well. I can see the 14A being applied to OTHER Constitutional rights like the 2A. If SCOTUS ruled against taxes on ONE Constitutional right, why couldn't the prohibition apply to OTHER Constitutional rights?
Fair point and I agree, however wouldn't that also mean that if you can place restrictions on exercising one right, like limiting polling places and hours and requiring specific ID that you could do the same with other rights, like limiting were gun shops could be located and limiting hours of operation and implementing the same ID requirements?

Yeah, yeah, I know we already have the ID requirements, just saying if one right has requirements, couldn't they all?

Poll taxes would be the equivalent of having to pay a renewable license just to own arms. A lot different than adding a sales tax. The arms themselves aren't what's protected, but the right to possess them by the people. Guns themselves don't have rights.

having to pay a renewable license
Shudder. I hate to ask, but wasn't that part of the scheme on that license to buy a gun in Oregon? Does that permission slip have to be renewed periodically at a cost? (Not quite the same as a tax to own, but it still would suck.)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top